HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is going to be our 2nd line center next season?

Old
02-28-2012, 03:51 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Leaving aside the balance of this season, is there anyone prospect-wise who could reasonably be expected to fill the second line centre spot next season...outside those who have played in the NHL this year? Meaning, is there anyone we haven't seen so far who can surprise us next year?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:12 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Leaving aside the balance of this season, is there anyone prospect-wise who could reasonably be expected to fill the second line centre spot next season...outside those who have played in the NHL this year? Meaning, is there anyone we haven't seen so far who can surprise us next year?
Mark McNeill?

It definitely won't be Kevin Hayes, I can promise you that. Last I saw him, his skating was improving, but his goal-scoring still needs a lot of work.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Not for a 2nd line center no. You want 60 or so points and some defensive play from your 2nd line center and I don't see anyone one the roster who can do that yet. Can one of them in the future maybe but not next year or even 2 to be realistic. Look at some of the 2 line centers in the league, and most not surprisingly play on some of the best teams.

Zetterberg, Kessler, Bergeron, Couture, Elias, Briere, Richards, Malkin for gods sake is a 2nd line center when his team is healthy. That is what the Hawks are competing with. They need to add a proven NHL player to be their 2 center if they want to win.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

who should they add? Who is available for 3.5 million or less? Every 2nd Team in the NHL searches for a #2 Center...

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
who should they add? Who is available for 3.5 million or less? Every 2nd Team in the NHL searches for a #2 Center...
OK just give up, fold the franchise boys.

Or lets just put all those sure to be better then Gretzky prospects out there and we won't lose a game for the next 20 years.

Or just maybe we actually fix the team by any means necessary even if that means god forbid we trade one or two of those prospects or sign someone for a little more.

Last edited by Sir Psycho T: 02-28-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old
02-28-2012, 08:19 AM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

I think Bowman will go after Roy again. Grabovski, unfortunately, is going to stay a leaf and sign an extension with them.

Sharp-Toews-Kane
Stalberg-Roy-Hossa
X-Bolland-Jayes
Shaw/Carcillo-Mayers-Burish

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Ideally a 2nd line center will be aquired, but if that doesn't happen I'll go with Dave Bolland.

I don't see any other 'in house' options at this point in time.

Hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:41 AM
SugarKane88
Non-Registered User

Grabovski would have been ideal, but it looks like that option is gone.

SugarKane88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:11 AM
xX Hot Fuss

UFA Centers for 2012:

Koivu (ANH)
Gaustad
Pahlsson
Fraser
Stoll
Grabo

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/s...eeAgents-11-12

I'm sure i'm missing some lower skilled guys but these were the ones i thought stood out the most.

Grabovski is going to get ATLEAST $4.5 million, probably closer to $5.5.

The only way to acquire top end talent is to draft them and develop them yourself. Say hello to a revolving door of Pirri and Kruger next season. Maybe McNeil.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I think we should go after Moore/Pahlsson as #4 Center

Old
02-28-2012, 06:51 PM
LandofLincoln

Gagner, Roy, D. Brown any of those guys as a 2nd line center.

I would send Colombus 2 first rounders for C. Hodgson before draft day ever starts.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Joe Pavelski, the Sharks were willing to give him up in the Nash deal and I get would still give him up for the right offer, maybe an NHL player, prospect and pick.

Let's see.
Center? Check
Defensively responsible? Check
Can score 60 points? Check
Could fill in as first line center if Toews injured? Check
Better then anything we now have? Check
Could fit in to cap space at 4 mil? Check

No could this happen maybe, but it's a thought and would be a step in the right direction.

These are the kind of things Stan has to be looking into any and all options out there for what we need.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Chris Hansen
Church of Versteeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Gagner, Roy, D. Brown any of those guys as a 2nd line center.

I would send Colombus 2 first rounders for C. Hodgson before draft day ever starts.
Agreed on Roy.

Gagner isn't very good. Brown is a winger. And Hodgson's on Buffalo

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
BobbyJet

Assuming Stan will not get the job done in the summer (for whatever reason), I'll say Kane or Sharp. But that's not necessarily all bad. I think Kane can do it if he puts his mind to it. It is time to cut the umbilical cord to Toews once and for all.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Assuming Stan will not get the job done in the summer (for whatever reason), I'll say Kane or Sharp. But that's not necessarily all bad. I think Kane can do it if he puts his mind to it. It is time to cut the umbilical cord to Toews once and for all.
Yes it worked so well earlier in the season. Why stop at Kane out of position let's see if Bolland can be that top 4 d man we need so badly. Frolik can't score but maybe he is that #1 goalie we so desperately need. Why stop at the players, Stan instead of GM your now the new head athletic trainer, help Tazer stay on the ice will ya.

We sound like the fans of some scrub team not a Cup contending team, grasping at straws and throwing things against the wall hoping to hell it sticks.

Instead of playing Kane at center let's move him for a center who is actually a center. Kane isn't period.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:34 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Then Bowman needs to go, 20 points from your 2nd line C is a disgrace and no team will EVER! win a Cup with that little production.
Weird that you already know how many points Kruger scored at the end of NEXT SEASON.

Care to share your future sight magic with the rest of us?

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Chris Hansen
Church of Versteeg

Ultimately a guy on pace to put up 20 points while playing 2/3+ of the season with one or both of Sharp/Hossa, and with consistent 2nd unit PP time... well, if that's your second line center, that's just pathetic.

Fully expect that to be addressed in the offseason.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:06 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Anyone think Mark McNeill will be ready? They did think he'd have a shot last year.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:17 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Yes it worked so well earlier in the season. Why stop at Kane out of position let's see if Bolland can be that top 4 d man we need so badly. Frolik can't score but maybe he is that #1 goalie we so desperately need. Why stop at the players, Stan instead of GM your now the new head athletic trainer, help Tazer stay on the ice will ya.

We sound like the fans of some scrub team not a Cup contending team, grasping at straws and throwing things against the wall hoping to hell it sticks.

Instead of playing Kane at center let's move him for a center who is actually a center. Kane isn't period.
Sarcasm aside, yes it did work well early in the season. Kane was dominant at times with all that ice to work with and Hawks were playing pretty good hockey. To be honest, I'm not sure why Q abandoned it. Speculation at the time was Kane couldn't handle the extra duty and was running out of gas, but that was all it was, speculation. We heard nothing from the team that I'm aware of. And it is not like Kane has thrived since. Is it, smart ass???

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Illinihockey

I wouldn't count on any moves at the draft, GM's are going to be freaked out with the CBA about to expire. No one is going to want to do anything.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

which team will hand us their Top 6 Center? You know, Western Teams won't do us a favor

Old
02-29-2012, 02:16 AM
CS85
Tell 'em, Mean Gene!

Send a message via AIM to CS85
There's going to be something available, it may not be a sexy name, but it's not like all centers are going to be brought back by their teams for one reason or another. You never know how things turn out so to just assume that all centers everywhere will be re-signed is negativity for the sake of negativity.

CS85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:34 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Difficult to say. The only three realistic options within the system are Kruger, Pirri and Bolland.

Don't know if you guys heard Burke in his presser after the deadline but he said something like: "Other teams wanted to get better now at our expense, where they get better now and we possibly get better in the future. I refuse to do that, we want to get better now."

I immediately thought of the Hawks since there were strong rumours about Grabovski. Bowman also reportedly went after Roy but I don't even want to know what Buffalo demanded there...

Point is; Bowman wanted to aquire a #2 at the deadline and that tells me that he will try again in the summer.

As for possible targets, I don't know. Doesn't seem to be a lot out there. Grabovski will be signed to a ridiculous contract, maybe by us if Bowman starts feeling the heat and gets desperate. Roy will probably be in play since they now have Hodgson (great trade for them by the way) to help their weakest position.

I would like us to go after Stastny. I know he has a rich contract but we can afford it (2 more years at 6.6). He is probably available since Duchene and O'Reilly are the future there.

Bolland at half his salary + prospects/picks could be of interest to the Avs. Kruger adds strength and slides into #3 next season and we roll:

Toews
Stastny
Kruger
Mayers/UFA

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:34 AM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
Difficult to say. The only three realistic options within the system are Kruger, Pirri and Bolland.

Don't know if you guys heard Burke in his presser after the deadline but he said something like: "Other teams wanted to get better now at our expense, where they get better now and we possibly get better in the future. I refuse to do that, we want to get better now."

I immediately thought of the Hawks since there were strong rumours about Grabovski. Bowman also reportedly went after Roy but I don't even want to know what Buffalo demanded there...

Point is; Bowman wanted to aquire a #2 at the deadline and that tells me that he will try again in the summer.

As for possible targets, I don't know. Doesn't seem to be a lot out there. Grabovski will be signed to a ridiculous contract, maybe by us if Bowman starts feeling the heat and gets desperate. Roy will probably be in play since they now have Hodgson (great trade for them by the way) to help their weakest position.

I would like us to go after Stastny. I know he has a rich contract but we can afford it (2 more years at 6.6). He is probably available since Duchene and O'Reilly are the future there.

Bolland at half his salary + prospects/picks could be of interest to the Avs. Kruger adds strength and slides into #3 next season and we roll:

Toews
Stastny
Kruger
Mayers/UFA
is getting stastny realistic? i would be all for it, but it doesn't seem very likely

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:46 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
is getting stastny realistic? i would be all for it, but it doesn't seem very likely
As I said, Duchene-O'Reilly are their 1-2 punch for the future so Stastny isn't really needed (luxury problem for sure). Guessing they would like to upgrade their D if he is moved and then we're not a great fit, we'll see.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote