HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looks like HF says Montoya, Tyutin, Lundqvist top 25

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2004, 11:05 PM
NYRangers

vCash: 500
Looks like HF says Montoya, Tyutin, Lundqvist top 25

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7354

Montoya and Tyutin were basically locks for the top 25. But I thought they could put Lunqvist as high as 15-20 but a lot lower too since hes not spoken of much. But hes obviously better than the goalies put 26-50. So it looks like those 3 will be the Rangers that made the cut this season.

Old
11-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Prucha73

I think Balej is good enough for top 50.

Old
11-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Kubera55

While I think it would be a horrible ranking, don't be surprised if Montoya doesn't make it. They listed Schwarz in the high 40's, and there is still a lot of free-floating sentiment on these boards that Schwarz is somehow 'better' than Montoya, regardless of accomplishments or draft position. (And one look at Robbie Schremp's rank and you get a feel for how little weight they are giving to draft position).

Still, Tjutin, Montoya, and Lundqvist should all make it . . .

Old
11-11-2004, 11:31 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera55
While I think it would be a horrible ranking, don't be surprised if Montoya doesn't make it. They listed Schwarz in the high 40's, and there is still a lot of free-floating sentiment on these boards that Schwarz is somehow 'better' than Montoya, regardless of accomplishments or draft position. (And one look at Robbie Schremp's rank and you get a feel for how little weight they are giving to draft position).

Still, Tjutin, Montoya, and Lundqvist should all make it . . .
Eh, I think its just mostly the anti Rangers people on the boards. If they left him completely off I'd be really dissapointed with the 'knowledge' of the people making that list. I'm not saying hes a top 15 prospect or anything. But he has to be on the top 50 list.
Hes defeinetly better than who they listed from 26-50. I think they just gave Scwarz (sp?) a bad ranking.

Old
11-12-2004, 03:07 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Montoya and Ludqvist are EASILY better prospects then JDD and Nittymaki (even though Nittymaki is still very solid).

They should both be on it unless something effed up went on.

Old
11-12-2004, 08:17 AM
JR#9*

Not bad at all having 3 amoung the top 25 prospects IMO, especially when you consider that Jessiman just missed out on the top 50 as well as likely Balej and if Danny were fully healthy as he will be by years end he would likely be right there or above guy like Nittymaki sp? or the kid from Edm that made the list in net..

Overall if we can just get a future top line center into the farm system I'm loving the NYR's new found depth and quality in their prospect pool.

Old
11-12-2004, 08:21 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille
Montoya and Ludqvist are EASILY better prospects then JDD and Nittymaki (even though Nittymaki is still very solid).

They should both be on it unless something effed up went on.

I'm not going to argue about JDD, but I certainly wouldn't say that Montoya is easily a better prospect than Niittymaki.

Niittmaki played for Finland at the WJC.
Helped Turko win two Finnish Championships in three seasons.
Had two great season in Finland.
Struggle a bit in his first year in North America.
Improved greatly to become one of the AHL's best in year two.
Played 3 NHL games, allowing onegoal in each, and picking up 2 wins, including a crucial game over the New Jersey Devils

Also the only goalie in professional hockey to ever score a shorthanded OT game winning goal.

Also Ladd who went 4th in the draft is ranked at 31.

Old
11-12-2004, 09:17 AM
NYR469

he deserves to be on the list, but i don't expect to see lundqvist on the list at all...he didn't get any respect or attention last year, so why would they start giving him his due now??

and there is also a tendency to overrate the newest guys so the chance of a guy jumping into the mix 4 years after his draft seems unlikely based on past hf lists.

Old
11-12-2004, 09:48 AM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
I think Balej is good enough for top 50.
Well in a sense, I think so also.

But Montoya top 25,I dont think so.Im also shocked Blackburn is not on the list, he seems to beforgotten about for some reason. When I think he is a very solid prospect and if progresses right will be one of the top 5 future goaltenders, thats more a fact than an opinion.

Old
11-12-2004, 09:55 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8

But Montoya top 25,I dont think so.Im also shocked Blackburn is not on the list, he seems to beforgotten about for some reason. When I think he is a very solid prospect and if progresses right will be one of the top 5 future goaltenders, thats more a fact than an opinion.
blackburn isn't eligible

Old
11-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8

One could argue that with Grigorenko on the list, Blackburn belongs there as well.

But Blackburn, Balej, Montoya, Lundqvist and Tyutin would be FIVE potential players on the list - and I highly doubt that all five are on. Maybe two or three...

Old
11-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Onion Boy

Tyutin and Lundqvist should be locks. I'm suprised Balej wasn't in the 50-26 list today, but I doubt he'd appear in the top 25. Same thing with Montoya. I would've expected him near Schwarz, but top 25 is probably too high.

Old
11-12-2004, 10:35 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I'm not going to argue about JDD, but I certainly wouldn't say that Montoya is easily a better prospect than Niittymaki.

Niittmaki played for Finland at the WJC.
Helped Turko win two Finnish Championships in three seasons.
Had two great season in Finland.
Struggle a bit in his first year in North America.
Improved greatly to become one of the AHL's best in year two.
Played 3 NHL games, allowing onegoal in each, and picking up 2 wins, including a crucial game over the New Jersey Devils

Also the only goalie in professional hockey to ever score a shorthanded OT game winning goal.
easily no but it's possible and likely the case that he is the better prospect

he was a standout at the WJC winning the championship
led Michigan to the frozen four as a freshman and sophmore
has yet to struggle anywhere he's played
improved over his sophmore year to become a top 6 pick and a stand out at his position

Quote:
Also Ladd who went 4th in the draft is ranked at 31.
I don't think that's relevant

Tukonen was ranked 29 and he went 11th in the draft

Old
11-12-2004, 11:03 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
easily no but it's possible and likely the case that he is the better prospect

he was a standout at the WJC winning the championship
led Michigan to the frozen four as a freshman and sophmore
has yet to struggle anywhere he's played
improved over his sophmore year to become a top 6 pick and a stand out at his position
I'm not saying he's not the better prospect, IMO it highly debatable, and i like Montoya (although wouldn't have chosen him 6th).

I was objecting to the fact that montoya is EASILY a better prospect than Niittymaki, someone that's excelled in the Finnish and AHL level, and was also excellent in his short stint in the NHL.

Niittymaki woul dbe playing in the NHL today, if we had a season .

Old
11-12-2004, 01:52 PM
CaptainBure

Although I thought that balej and lundquivst deserved to be in the 40's,they both certainly wont make this list,and now I thoguht that montoya and tjutin would make the top 25. I think im wrong there,I think only Tjutin will hit the top 50 from the Rangers,kinda dissapointing if you ask me.

Old
11-12-2004, 02:12 PM
xander

my guess is that montoya will be in the top 25, based on the goaltenders that have gone so far. I know they don't put a whole lot of creedance in draft position (which they shouldn't) but I just can't see them not even putting Montoya on the list when Schwarz is on. I know there's an attitude that Schwarz is better than Montoya, but that seems to be held predominantly by posters, not by the staff.

Old
11-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Fletch

I tend to agree with you John...

nobody can say easily until Montoya succeeds at the next level. Niittymaki succeeded in international play (and I think Montoya leading his team to gold this season gives him the edge in terms of that), but he's also put up good numbers in the AHL (yeah, so has Labarbera, but in his limited NHL action, Niittymaki played quite well, whereas Labarbera, in his limited action, played spotty). So yeah, it's tough to say one's definitely better than the other. But one big difference is that Montoya's about four years younger. Antero is 24.

Old
11-12-2004, 02:31 PM
packfan

They won't put Lundqvist in the top 25. They still give him no respect.

Old
11-12-2004, 02:54 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

When is the top 25 comming out?

Old
11-12-2004, 03:49 PM
bmoak

HF staff has said that the rankings are based on play BEFORE the start of this season, so there's a good chance Lundqvist won't make it, since his hot start won't count.

Old
11-12-2004, 03:52 PM
patnyrnyg

Any reason Korpikoski didnt make the top-50? Why on earth is Ryan Miller still listed? The guy is about 50 years old.

Old
11-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak
HF staff has said that the rankings are based on play BEFORE the start of this season, so there's a good chance Lundqvist won't make it, since his hot start won't count.
Maybe, but there's also the fact that Lundqvist was in net for Sweden during the World Championships and was picked for the World Cup team.

Old
11-12-2004, 05:02 PM
NYRangers

Henriks stats were phenomenal last season too. He has a career .928 save % in the SEL. Not sure how they could leave that off the top 50.

Old
11-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Levitate

because he was drafted late round and swedish goalies must suck

Old
11-13-2004, 12:00 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I'll retract the Nittymaki statement since I think I worded it a bit wrong (although I do feel Montoya and Lundqvist are both better prospects as of now).

But, if JDD is there and Montoya is not. Well, then there is OBVIOUSLY an anti-Ranger bias and that would clearly show it. JDD isn't even on Montoya's level, IMHO.

Closed Thread