HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

[MTL/NSH] A. Kostitsyn for 2nd round pick (2013), our cond'l 5th rounder (2012)

Old
02-28-2012, 08:11 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
[MTL/NSH] A. Kostitsyn for 2nd round pick (2013), our cond'l 5th rounder (2012)

Last thread was nearing the limit, continue discussion here.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:55 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Nashville coach Barry Trotz said: “(in the SK deal) we virtually gave up nothing and got our first-line winger. I expect the same thing of Andrei. I know he’s a terrific talent and he can play.”

Disheartening when other teams regard our homegrown talent higher than we do. I wonder how the Antichambre experts will spin it if/when their favourite whipping boy excels with more icetime on a new club?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:58 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

We should have quite a bit of caproom next season. Cammalleri gone, Gill, Gomez most likely gone. AK and Bourque salaries cancel each other out. Only big increase be Price but cap goes up every year so should take care of him. We should have 15 million in caproom to bring a Suter or Parise here, with lots left over.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Nashville coach Barry Trotz said: “(in the SK deal) we virtually gave up nothing and got our first-line winger. I expect the same thing of Andrei. I know he’s a terrific talent and he can play.”

Disheartening when other teams regard our homegrown talent higher than we do. I wonder how the Antichambre experts will spin it if/when their favourite whipping boy excels with more icetime on a new club?
They'll probably play it off and pretend like they never hated him.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:01 AM
WestIslander

I am weighing in late and must say that I don't mind this trade because:

1) We were not going to re-sign Kostitsyn in Montreal.
2) His expirement here was over a long time ago.
3) We failed in 2003 draft and needed a reality check sooner than later.
4) I prefer having one less lazy player in training camp next season.
5) We now have 3 x 2nd round draft picks in 2013 which is supposed to be as deep as 2003.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:10 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I am weighing in late and must say that I don't mind this trade because:

1) We were not going to re-sign Kostitsyn in Montreal.
2) His expirement here was over a long time ago.
3) We failed in 2003 draft and needed a reality check sooner than later.
4) I prefer having one less lazy player in training camp next season.
5) We now have 3 x 2nd round draft picks in 2013 which is supposed to be as deep as 2003.
Really? because I have not heard any of that, not to sound condescending, but every year seems to be just as deep if not deeper then the year before. I'm sick of it, its a draft pick, will see what the draft is like next year and go from there.

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:32 AM
gillyguzzler

AK was producing at a 32 goal pace before Randy Cunneyworth came aboard.

However, from Mister Gauthier's press conference, they decided a while ago that AK was not in their long term plans.

What do they do? Line him up next to Gomez, let him freeze on the bench and then RC bashes him to the media calling him a passenger after a game in which AK played 4 minutes.

TERRIFIC ASSET MANAGEMENT!

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post

Imo next season Andrei Kostitsyn will score more goals than anyone in Habs land.

Edit2:

Btw... I am not a regular follower (I miss La zone on src with Dany Dubé and Gérard Gagnon) but Kostitsyn had his supporters in l'Antichambre. Frankly I think Kostistyn received more flak from the English media during his tenure with us.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-28-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:51 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
(... Harking back to the deal that sent Sergei to Nashville for forward Dustin Boyd and goaltender Dan Ellis, Trotz said: "We virtually gave up nothing and got our first-line winger. I expect the same thing of Andrei. I know he's a terrific talent and he can play." ...)

http://www.canada.com/sports/Canadie...033/story.html

Imo next season Andrei Kostitsyn will score more goals than anyone in Habs land.
Sergei Kostitsyn wasn't worthy of even being in a Hab's uniform yet Barry Trotz is happy with him as his first line winger.

Imagine what Mr. Trotz can do with Andrei Kostitsyn. "I know he's a terrfic talent and he can play." I imagine Randy Cunneyworth wasn't as kind and much of a motivator.

Does anyone have access to the players' stats pre Cunneyworth and post Cunneyworth?

It's evident that the Habs should be scoring more goals with the Cunneyworth system and that skill players like AK didn't thrive in the dump and chase system. Any link to these stats?

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:56 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Doubt it. Don't get me wrong, AKost is good and there will be much gnashing of teeth about letting him go (and replacing him will be tricky), but he is nowhere near as good as Pacioretty.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Doubt it. Don't get me wrong, AKost is good and there will be much gnashing of teeth about letting him go (and replacing him will be tricky), but he is nowhere near as good as Pacioretty.
Don't get me wrong: I am a fan of Andrei Kostitsyn but I much prefer Pacioretty.

However I am not a fan of Cunneyworth (Blunden, Shultz and Staubitz everywhere!) so I expect Kostitsyn to play in a better environment than Pacioretty in 2012-13. Therefore I would not be surprised if Andrei Kostitsyn outscores everyone in Habs land next season!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:07 AM
MathMan

Quote:
However I am not a fan of Cunneyworth (Blunden, Shultz and Staubitz everywhere!) so I expect Kostitsyn to play in a better environment than Pacioretty in 2012-13. Therefore I would not be surprised if Andrei Kostitsyn outscores everyone in Habs land next season!
That assumes that Cunneyworth is still the coach starting next season, which would be an outright firing-worthy offense for a GM even before factoring in the PR disaster it would be.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm not sure that's too accurate.

AK is more polished than Pacioretty, and will be playing with better linemates than he had here (Legwand/Hornqvist) consistently.

Pacioretty and the Desharnais line has been playing relatively soft minutes (softer than AKs), and they're likely to get focused a lot more next year. Nashville is a lot more balanced.

Maybe you're right and Pacioretty shows up AK, but it could very well end up being fairly close.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Sergei Kostitsyn wasn't worthy of even being in a Hab's uniform yet Barry Trotz is happy with him as his first line winger.

Imagine what Mr. Trotz can do with Andrei Kostitsyn. "I know he's a terrfic talent and he can play." I imagine Randy Cunneyworth wasn't as kind and much of a motivator.

Does anyone have access to the players' stats pre Cunneyworth and post Cunneyworth?

It's evident that the Habs should be scoring more goals with the Cunneyworth system and that skill players like AK didn't thrive in the dump and chase system. Any link to these stats?
Won't surprise me if he's a 30 goal scorer.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:35 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

It was probably answered before but I just saw it... Why did Buffalo get Nashville's 1st pick for Gaustad and Gauthier could only fetch a 2nd pick for Andrei K.?

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:49 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
It was probably answered before but I just saw it... Why did Buffalo get Nashville's 1st pick for Gaustad and Gauthier could only fetch a 2nd pick for Andrei K.?
Because except for the Preds who know how stupidly we handle our players, especially with last name Kostitsyn, and thus know better, other teams just saw a lazy player ( as brilliantly portrayed by our coach ) getting 4th line play on a lousy team, so who else would trade for him, so no competition for his services. Other thing though is Gaustads style of play fits well into play-off hockey and hes really good at face-offs.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
With less than 20 games left to the regular season, and for the playoffs, Gaustad has more value than AK to a playoff team. You know the steady work Gaustad will bring to your team with grit and faceoff wins. On the other hand, AK is a low risk high reward. UFA values at the trade deadline don't depend on the potential or skill the player can bring but rather the rarity of the player and his importance in playoff push (Guerin(Pitts), Moore(MTL), Kelly(Boston))

Edit: What Yianik says also. Gaustad simply has more value.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Really? because I have not heard any of that, not to sound condescending, but every year seems to be just as deep if not deeper then the year before. I'm sick of it, its a draft pick, will see what the draft is like next year and go from there.
They said a year or two back, that something like 2011 and 2012 were weak drafts, but its the first i hear of a deep 2013

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Because nashville valued gaustad more than they valued AK, easy.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:57 AM
HomaridII

Tony Marinaro ‏ @TonyMarinaro
In past 5yrs when AK46 played 0-12mins Habs winning % 0.542, 12-15mins 0.543, 15-18mins 0.535, 18+ minutes 0.356. Stats courtesy @NHL_Stats.

HomaridII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:57 AM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
AK was producing at a 32 goal pace before Randy Cunneyworth came aboard.

However, from Mister Gauthier's press conference, they decided a while ago that AK was not in their long term plans.

What do they do? Line him up next to Gomez, let him freeze on the bench and then RC bashes him to the media calling him a passenger after a game in which AK played 4 minutes.

TERRIFIC ASSET MANAGEMENT!
if they really wanted to try and get AK started up to atleast get ore alue play him with eller or pleks

playing with gomez is where player stats frezee

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
In past 5yrs when AK46 played 0-12mins Habs winning % 0.542, 12-15mins 0.543, 15-18mins 0.535, 18+ minutes 0.356. Stats courtesy @NHL_Stats.
Lol this is so irrelevant it insults my intelligence tony...

Old
02-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Seems as relevant as the Gomez effect.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Valois

Quote:
I obviously haven't gone and checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if that has more to do with him being used in bigger minutes when other guys were injured and thus playing longer on a weaker team, rather than entirely a reflection of his play.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:22 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
...What's his point?

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote