HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Game 63 | Vancouver Canucks @ Phoenix Coyotes | February 28, 2012 | 7:00 PM

Old
02-29-2012, 01:34 PM
amjay13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Our friend amjay nailed it. This forum is full of teenaged hockey video game nerds. They score ten goals a game on the Nintendo, root for contending teams that theyp basically ignore until the playoffs start, and then act like the most passionate rabid fans who ever lived, but only until the playoffs are over. Then its back to seventeen goal video games and acting too hip for boring regular season hockey.
Don't get me wrong, I'm only 30 and enjoy a good video game here and there but I do think that is part of the problem.

I watch 99% of Caps game and 95% of Yotes games. The Caps have several big name players (they are probably rated 95 on NHL12!! ) and they have been extremely boring to watch most of this season. Right now, if I am looking for an exciting, up and down hockey game, I put the Yotes on the big screen and the Caps on the small screen with no sound. The system is fine and it produces positive results. I suspect some fan bases are quite jealous of what DT and DM get out of their players.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:46 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
I suspect some fan bases are quite jealous of what DT and DM get out of their players.
That's one of the most beautiful things about this the greatest game on earth.... No matter how much talent you've got you'd best bring your lunch box, cause it's a blue collar sport and you won't get far without hard work.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:55 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post

Fans of Philly that live in Jersey and should be happy and embrace the fact they have their own team? Probably wouldn't have economic woes if they would stop being nutless pukes.
This is probably semantics particular to this one example and not endemic of your larger point, but there are lots of people who live in New Jersey but identify more with Philadelphia than anywhere in NJ. Most of the people I've met from New Jersey will always say they're from "New Jersey, but," as in, "I'm from New Jersey, but I was a 15-minute drive from Philly" or "I'm from New Jersey, but I was a quick train ride from New York City."

For the Devils to draw better would take a complete paradigm shift in NJ identity politics, which would probably take New Jersey becoming a remotely defensible place to live.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:07 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
For the Devils to draw better would take a complete paradigm shift in NJ identity politics, which would probably take New Jersey becoming a remotely defensible place to live.

Go tell that to Bruce... you know, The Boss.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:19 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Go tell that to Bruce... you know, The Boss.
I say the following as someone who:
  • grew up maybe 10-15 minutes from the New Jersey/Pennsylvania border and not more than 25 minutes from downtown Trenton,
  • went to the Jersey Shore (usually Ocean City or Margate) every summer until I graduated high school, and usually several times each summer,
  • used NJ Transit every time I traveled between my childhood home in the Philadelphia suburbs and New York,
  • went into Jersey for numerous concerts, including a few at the Stone Pony in Mr. Springsteen's own Asbury Park, and
  • still run to Princeton when I'm visiting my mom (who still lives in the Philly burbs) to frequent its legendary record store.

Here it is: New Jersey, as a state, sucks.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:32 PM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le JavJav View Post
"It seemed like he was turning a school bus." -- Mike Smith on Mason Raymond's shootout attempt.
Did he really say that! Oh, snap. We may need to face those guys again and I'm not sure we need Raymond more fired up that he would be, but that's pretty funny.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I disagree. For me, its one hundred percent about sentimental attachment, as you put it.

If the Coyotes become the Nordiques, I'm a Nordiques fan for life. Even if they bring back some mutant expansion version of the Coyotes in ten years.
I echo that.

As an original Jet fan (back to the WHA days) I had to follow the team to the dessert. I am a Jets/Coyotes fan.

Now, I am also cheering for the Jets 2.0 which is ok becuase I always cheer for a team in each conference. Not sure what I will do if/when Winnipeg is rightfully located in the Western Conference.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:27 PM
kihekah19

Quote:

That's just cold and I still say Bruce would disagree!

Old
02-29-2012, 03:27 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
I echo that.
...not me, I do not follow the 'canes. I have seen them play in NC, when I visit my brother (he lives about 10 minutes from the arena)...
I guess it also has to do with the circumstances why the Whale left.

I love that shot Boedker made in the shoot out
can you say jocked out

Last edited by DesertDawg: 02-29-2012 at 03:47 PM.
DesertDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
I say the following as someone who:
  • grew up maybe 10-15 minutes from the New Jersey/Pennsylvania border and not more than 25 minutes from downtown Trenton,
  • went to the Jersey Shore (usually Ocean City or Margate) every summer until I graduated high school, and usually several times each summer,
  • used NJ Transit every time I traveled between my childhood home in the Philadelphia suburbs and New York,
  • went into Jersey for numerous concerts, including a few at the Stone Pony in Mr. Springsteen's own Asbury Park, and
  • still run to Princeton when I'm visiting my mom (who still lives in the Philly burbs) to frequent its legendary record store.

I took a job in NYC awhile back and lived in northern Jersey. For the most part I reference that part of my life as living in New York rather than New Jersey.

However, when I moved to Jersey, none of my family wanted to come visit. Then my Mom came up to visit when my daughter was born. She was expecting me to live in a slum in Newark, and was shocked to find that I lived on a golf course in a pretty lush area. That opened the floodgates and every relative I had came to visit so I could take them to Manhattan or skiing near my place.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote