HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

College free agents (Flames sign D Brady Lamb)

Old
02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Body Checker

vCash: 500
College free agents (Flames sign D Brady Lamb)

Any chance we will be in on Danny Dekeyser and JT Brown?

I know places like Toronto, Anaheim, Detroit, etc. seem to sign alot of U.S. college players and we are not a likely destination but.......

What about high risk it and do significant overpayment offers like what some teams do in baseball for Cuban/Dominican players?

Reasons to do it:

1. Our prospect pool needs it
2. We've got lots of cap space coming up
3. We are a team in flux so it's not like there shouldn't be opportunity for these guys

Last edited by Noori: 03-29-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
jtommyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Any chance we will be in on Danny Dekeyser and JT Brown?

I know places like Toronto, Anaheim, Detroit, etc. seem to sign alot of U.S. college players and we are not a likely destination but.......

What about high risk it and do significant overpayment offers like what some teams do in baseball for Cuban/Dominican players?

Reasons to do it:

1. Our prospect pool needs it
2. We've got lots of cap space coming up
3. We are a team in flux so it's not like there shouldn't be opportunity for these guys
JT Brown is intriguing to me, but we're starting to have a pretty big pool of undersized skilled forwards... I'm not sure we need another.

Dekeyser doesn't seem like anything extraordinary... Not sure I'd want to give up one of the 50 contract spots for a guy like that.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:21 PM
tfong

Can never have too much skill.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
Problem is college free agents go to teams where they will either get ice time, or they think will be strong contenders in the near future. I don't think Calgary is viewed as either right now.

Also, assuming I remember correctly in that most of the college players will be signing deals before July 1st, can we even sign any players since we are at the 50 contract limit, or will they simply apply to next seasons limit?

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:14 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
At this rate I would rather take a risk on Brendan Shinnimin.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:33 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
At this rate I would rather take a risk on Brendan Shinnimin.
As a rule I would try and stay away from overage juniors. 20-21 year olds routinely put up numbers in junior they will never come close to matching in the pros. But looking at how sad our system is I would sign anyone in the 20-23 range that has the right skill set for the new NHL. If the guy is fast and can do things at speed, then sign him. Same goes for college players. If they have speed and can dangle at top speed, sign them. We really need to get away from dump and chase hockey.

Of course the Flames will have a very hard time getting these junior and college free agents to sign here as the organization has earned a reputation of not giving young players a chance to play. They did better this past season, but they will have to go through a number of years giving young players a chance before that reputation changes and agents direct their players to consider Calgary as a place to get your shot.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
As a rule I would try and stay away from overage juniors. 20-21 year olds routinely put up numbers in junior they will never come close to matching in the pros. But looking at how sad our system is I would sign anyone in the 20-23 range that has the right skill set for the new NHL. If the guy is fast and can do things at speed, then sign him. Same goes for college players. If they have speed and can dangle at top speed, sign them. We really need to get away from dump and chase hockey.

Of course the Flames will have a very hard time getting these junior and college free agents to sign here as the organization has earned a reputation of not giving young players a chance to play. They did better this past season, but they will have to go through a number of years giving young players a chance before that reputation changes and agents direct their players to consider Calgary as a place to get your shot.
i like risks and overagers, one got us gio

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:13 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartschi View Post
i like risks and overagers, one got us gio
Well, that's one and we almost lost that one for the same reasons discussed in my second paragraph; we didn't give him a fair chance to prove himself. You are not going to attract players of this ilk if you aren't prepared to give them a chance to play almost right away.

Since you're so enamored with overagers, how do you feel about Bryan Cameron? There are many more misses than there are hits with undrafted overage players.

Old
02-28-2012, 04:26 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:

I tend to stray away from them also, but he has been a consistent point producer in the WHL for three seasons now. I think it would be nice to see what he can do in the playoffs for Abbotsford (if they make it and go deep), and see if his game can translate before offering him a contract.

I only threw it out as a possibility, but I am sure our scouts are very familiar with him as a player due to scouting and developing Patrick Holland. If they feel he can make the jump I am sure they will show interest.

As for Bryan Cameron, he was never an elite point producer at the CHL level but more so a good goal scorer. He lacks speed and hockey smarts which is something I have read that Shinnimin excels at.

Old
02-28-2012, 04:52 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I tend to stray away from them also, but he has been a consistent point producer in the WHL for three seasons now. I think it would be nice to see what he can do in the playoffs for Abbotsford (if they make it and go deep), and see if his game can translate before offering him a contract.

I only threw it out as a possibility, but I am sure our scouts are very familiar with him as a player due to scouting and developing Patrick Holland. If they feel he can make the jump I am sure they will show interest.

As for Bryan Cameron, he was never an elite point producer at the CHL level but more so a good goal scorer. He lacks speed and hockey smarts which is something I have read that Shinnimin excels at.
Cameron was the OHL Overage Player of the Year in final junior campaign and turned a lot of heads. I really wish it wasn't the heads of our scouts!

I think the problem with Shinnimin is his size more than anything. He likely wouldn't be that bad a pickup if the team was to cut loose a guy like Sylvester or Cameron. You can't have too many skilled players, but you can have too many small players. All depends on contract situations. Have to make sure you are giving NHL contracts to guys with NHL potential.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Problem is college free agents go to teams where they will either get ice time, or they think will be strong contenders in the near future. I don't think Calgary is viewed as either right now.

Also, assuming I remember correctly in that most of the college players will be signing deals before July 1st, can we even sign any players since we are at the 50 contract limit, or will they simply apply to next seasons limit?
The majority start next season and then the player will usually sign a PTO with that team's AHL affiliate for the rest of the season.

The very top college FAs each year usually have their contracts start right away (and therefore would count to the 50-contract limit) and get a game or two in this year so their contracts start early (+ are assured an NHL game in their lifetime). That would be a guy like Stephane Da Costa (OTT) last year. But that's only a couple guys each season.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Well, that's one and we almost lost that one for the same reasons discussed in my second paragraph; we didn't give him a fair chance to prove himself. You are not going to attract players of this ilk if you aren't prepared to give them a chance to play almost right away.

Since you're so enamored with overagers, how do you feel about Bryan Cameron? There are many more misses than there are hits with undrafted overage players.
cameron is different he was never projected to be an 2nd liner... he was projected to be what kirk maltby was, so im not expecting anything but it was worth the risk of 1 contract

Old
02-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Oh, and I forgot to say, I'd be pretty damn tempted to take a flyer on Shinniman. Crazy crazy points. Isn't it 30+ in his last ten games?

Old
02-29-2012, 01:03 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Oh, and I forgot to say, I'd be pretty damn tempted to take a flyer on Shinniman. Crazy crazy points. Isn't it 30+ in his last ten games?
Ya he is on an absolute tear right now.

14 Games Played
23 Goals
20 Assists
43 Points
+/- 16

Incredible run to say the least.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Devilspuppet666

lol but if we were to sign a UFA prospect thats highly touted watch it go from "this kid has skill and will be a sure fire NHL top 6 player, and a guy the oilers should go for" to ,if we sign said prospect "he has less than average skills in a dead prospect pool, with bartschi the only truely skilled prospect"

the tsn guy said something similar to that... he really doesnt pay too much attention considering Gaudreau and arnold have been very VERY solid in Boston

Old
02-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartschi View Post
lol but if we were to sign a UFA prospect thats highly touted watch it go from "this kid has skill and will be a sure fire NHL top 6 player, and a guy the oilers should go for" to ,if we sign said prospect "he has less than average skills in a dead prospect pool, with bartschi the only truely skilled prospect"

the tsn guy said something similar to that... he really doesnt pay too much attention considering Gaudreau and arnold have been very VERY solid in Boston
i cant think of his name..

Old
03-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._nhl_interest/

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:12 PM
flamesfan5

My guess is our scouts are not smart enough to catch onto any of these guys

flamesfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:08 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

I think Conroy has been scouting them on and off all season, so I would expect us to chase a couple

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I think Conroy has been scouting them on and off all season, so I would expect us to chase a couple
He has been. He mentioned it on Conroys Corner.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Body Checker

Just read on Roger Millions Twitter that we are pursuing Dekeyser and JT Brown.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

Hells yes, DeKeyser and Brown!

Hopefully not Gilroy and Da Costa v2 though

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalkeg View Post
Hells yes, DeKeyser and Brown!

Hopefully not Gilroy and Da Costa v2 though
As a Sens fan, Gilroy has been quite solid since his acquisition, and I still have hope for Da Costa to make the roster next season.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:53 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
As a Sens fan, Gilroy has been quite solid since his acquisition, and I still have hope for Da Costa to make the roster next season.
I'm a Sens fan too and agree. Though he had a rough game last night I thought.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Devilspuppet666

long long time since ive been on lol

I want both i think they'd really make our prospect depth better in a big way