HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

College free agents (Flames sign D Brady Lamb)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2012, 07:19 PM
  #26
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,055
vCash: 50
Spencer Abbott signed with the Leafs. I also stole part of a quote that made me bang my head against the desk.

Quote:
Abbott said he was also offered a contract by the Calgary Flames and elected to follow his heart(with the Leafs)

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:27 PM
  #27
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,940
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Spencer Abbott signed with the Leafs. I also stole part of a quote that made me bang my head against the desk.
Can't blame the guy for choosing the team he grew up idolizing as a child, even if it is the wrong career decision.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:45 PM
  #28
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
You can't sign every UFA but I like the fact that management is clearly targeting young UFA's.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:14 PM
  #29
Kurse*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 846
vCash: 500
oops


Last edited by Kurse*: 03-28-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Kurse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:41 AM
  #30
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,939
vCash: 50
JT Brown signs with the Tampa Bay Lightning, 2 year deal.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...roup/homepage/



Well, that's disappointing. Let's hope the Flames sign a few other College FA's, though.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:12 AM
  #31
Sean Monahan
Moewny
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 50
Probably a long shot but hopefully we somehow get Justin Schutlz!

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:23 PM
  #32
Eradicator
Registered User
 
Eradicator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/#!/WharnsbyCBC

#Flames will sign 6-1, 215-pound Minnesota-Duluth D Brady Lamb, a 23-year-old from Calgary.

Eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:26 PM
  #33
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eradicator View Post
http://twitter.com/#!/WharnsbyCBC

#Flames will sign 6-1, 215-pound Minnesota-Duluth D Brady Lamb, a 23-year-old from Calgary.
If that is indeed the case (and I'm assuming it is), then the Flames picked up a very good player.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:30 PM
  #34
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eradicator View Post
http://twitter.com/#!/WharnsbyCBC

#Flames will sign 6-1, 215-pound Minnesota-Duluth D Brady Lamb, a 23-year-old from Calgary.
I know nothing about him or his league any more info on him?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:40 PM
  #35
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I know nothing about him or his league any more info on him?
He played at Minnesota-Duluth as mentioned earlier and is a defenseman. He has good size (6'1", roughly 220 lbs.)

A little bit on Brady Lamb:

He anchored a very good Bulldogs blue line this season and quarterbacked their PP. I guess the
best way to describe Lamb is a puck-moving defenseman. He's very good at both ends of the ice, and is very good on PK too. He uses his size and strength really well in covering opposing forwards and stripping the puck. He also brings some grit to his game. Not afraid to play the body and can delivers some solid checks. He's a competitor. His skating is actually quite good. He has good speed, but he's not exceedingly fast (like now-former teammates J. T. Brown or Travis Oleksuk). He moves his feet really well both in the offensive and defensive zones. IMO, one of his best and most improved assets are his hands. He started his career at UMD as mainly a defensive-minded defenseman. But as his career progressed, he began developing things like his shot (which is pretty darn good BTW), puck moving ability and so forth. That resulted in more ice time and getting offensive production from the blue line. His passing skills have really improved over the course of his collegiate career. He distributes the puck smartly and effectively. And he can get shots to the net.

I hope this answers your question.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:42 PM
  #36
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
One more thing:

Minnesota-Duluth won the National Championship last year, and Brady was a big part of it.

The Bulldogs play in the WCHA, which is considered by many as the top conference in college hockey with the likes of North Dakota, Denver and Frozen Four-bound Minnesota.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:42 PM
  #37
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
He played at Minnesota-Duluth as mentioned earlier and is a defenseman. He has good size (6'1", roughly 220 lbs.)

A little bit on Brady Lamb:

He anchored a very good Bulldogs blue line this season and quarterbacked their PP. I guess the
best way to describe Lamb is a puck-moving defenseman. He's very good at both ends of the ice, and is very good on PK too. He uses his size and strength really well in covering opposing forwards and stripping the puck. He also brings some grit to his game. Not afraid to play the body and can delivers some solid checks. He's a competitor. His skating is actually quite good. He has good speed, but he's not exceedingly fast (like now-former teammates J. T. Brown or Travis Oleksuk). He moves his feet really well both in the offensive and defensive zones. IMO, one of his best and most improved assets are his hands. He started his career at UMD as mainly a defensive-minded defenseman. But as his career progressed, he began developing things like his shot (which is pretty darn good BTW), puck moving ability and so forth. That resulted in more ice time and getting offensive production from the blue line. His passing skills have really improved over the course of his collegiate career. He distributes the puck smartly and effectively. And he can get shots to the net.

I hope this answers your question.
I was expecting something like he has a good shot and is physical, but you went way over the top thanks alot.

One last question what do you think his ceiling is in the nhl 5/6 defenseman?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
  #38
brewski1810
Registered User
 
brewski1810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
Reliable source?

brewski1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:45 PM
  #39
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I was expecting something like he has a good shot and is physical, but you went way over the top thanks alot.

One last question what do you think his ceiling is in the nhl 5/6 defenseman?
I'd say that's fairly accurate. I think a lot will depend on how well and quickly Brady adapts to the pro game.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:45 PM
  #40
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
I'd say that's fairly accurate. I think a lot will depend on how well and quickly Brady adapts to the pro game.
Thanks a lot I really appreciate the info.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
  #41
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,811
vCash: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1810 View Post
Reliable source?
http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/...144925325.html

Quote:
Duluth, MN (Northland's NewsCenter) --- UMD senior defenseman Brady Lamb has reportedly signed a professional contract with the NHL's Calgary Flames, that according to several of his UMD teammates.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:57 PM
  #42
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Thanks a lot I really appreciate the info.

Happy to be of service. Just be sure to keep me posted on Brady's progress, ok?

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:26 PM
  #43
brewski1810
Registered User
 
brewski1810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Nice, hopefully dekeyser is next, very happy to see the flames signing some college free agents, it will help with organizational depth

brewski1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:34 PM
  #44
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,702
vCash: 50
OC, the way you describe him, he seems to do everything well. He's big, has an excellent shot, effective skater, good passer. So why is his ceiling a bottom-pairing defender? I always find bottom pairing defenders to be lacking an element to their game that prevents them from cutting it as top-4 defenders (whether its skating, defensive awareness, puckmoving ability, or offensive ability). I guess my question is, what does Brady struggle with? What are his weaknesses that may hold him back?

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:23 PM
  #45
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
OC, the way you describe him, he seems to do everything well. He's big, has an excellent shot, effective skater, good passer. So why is his ceiling a bottom-pairing defender? I always find bottom pairing defenders to be lacking an element to their game that prevents them from cutting it as top-4 defenders (whether its skating, defensive awareness, puckmoving ability, or offensive ability). I guess my question is, what does Brady struggle with? What are his weaknesses that may hold him back?
I'd imagine it's a matter of being realistic. Like mentioned, it's how well he translates his game to the pro level though I'm interested in hearing what his shortcomings are too.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:35 PM
  #46
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
OC, the way you describe him, he seems to do everything well. He's big, has an excellent shot, effective skater, good passer. So why is his ceiling a bottom-pairing defender? I always find bottom pairing defenders to be lacking an element to their game that prevents them from cutting it as top-4 defenders (whether its skating, defensive awareness, puckmoving ability, or offensive ability). I guess my question is, what does Brady struggle with? What are his weaknesses that may hold him back?
IMO, the greatest immediate challenge facing Brady, aside from adjusting to the speed and style of the pro game, is going to be effectively and consistently balancing his offensive contributions with his defensive zone play. In the last year or so, he's been more active in jumping into plays. And while that's a good thing, he needs to be able to make better decisions on WHEN it's the time to do so and when it isn't. There were a couple of times in this season, one was in a game versus Minnesota, where he opted to jump into the play at clearly the wrong time and one of the Gophers (I believe it was Nate Condon) that ended up with the puck on a turnover and nearly scored a goal.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:07 PM
  #47
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 50
With this guy signed for next year that makes 6 dman on contract for the farm.
Carson, Wilson, Piskula, Breen, Martin, and Lamb all under contract.
Does that leave room for Ramage and Leach? What about Connelly and Henry?
I guess Carson would have a shot at 6th-7th on the big team - and who knows about the newbies.....

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:17 PM
  #48
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
With this guy signed for next year that makes 6 dman on contract for the farm.
Carson, Wilson, Piskula, Breen, Martin, and Lamb all under contract.
Does that leave room for Ramage and Leach? What about Connelly and Henry?
I guess Carson would have a shot at 6th-7th on the big team - and who knows about the newbies.....
Carson was not even put on the list to eligible to play for the Heat in their playoffs, I think he is finished in this organization whether it be a loan to Europe or another AHL team, Connelly is a UFA and Henry was already loaned out at the end of this year so he is not likely to receive a qualifying offer. Ramage will likely stay in the NCAA for his Senior year, while Leach should be signed and playing with Abbotsford next year.

Also with the travel schedule (which leads to injuries IMO) the Heat have and the way call-ups affect their roster, they could easily have 8 defensemen on the roster.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:20 PM
  #49
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Carson was not even put on the list to eligible to play for the Heat in their playoffs, I think he is finished in this organization whether it be a loan to Europe or another AHL team, Connelly is a UFA and Henry was already loaned out at the end of this year so he is not likely to receive a qualifying offer. Ramage will likely stay in the NCAA for his Senior year, while Leach should be signed and playing with Abbotsford next year.

Also with the travel schedule (which leads to injuries IMO) the Heat have and the way call-ups affect their roster, they could easily have 8 defensemen on the roster.
I believe Carson was not put on the list because you need to have a certain number of players that have played less than 200 games (or some number) and I think he was the odd man out.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
  #50
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I believe Carson was not put on the list because you need to have a certain number of players that have played less than 200 games (or some number) and I think he was the odd man out.
He was also the odd man out because he just isn't very good. He was signed to a 2 year deal based on a handful of games last season and it was a mistake. Carson is not NHL material and has no future with the organization. The is a reason guys like Piskula (who also isn't very good) made the cut before Carson.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.