HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let the kids play

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2012, 03:01 PM
  #1
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Let the kids play

We need to find out what we have in Pirri, Morin, Olsen, Salak and Paradis. We can't let these guys rot in the minors if they are part of the future. We can't go into next season not knowing who can be counted on and for what. If that means some vets have to sit or get waived, so be it.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:04 PM
  #2
ndgt10
Registered User
 
ndgt10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Poland
Country: United States
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500
And then when they don't perform their trade value will plummet!

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:08 PM
  #3
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
We're not trading them. That decision has already been made.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
  #4
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 24,258
vCash: 500
And if they fail because we rushed them we destroy their confidence!


MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:16 PM
  #5
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
We need to find out what we have in Pirri, Morin, Olsen, Salak and Paradis. We can't let these guys rot in the minors if they are part of the future. We can't go into next season not knowing who can be counted on and for what. If that means some vets have to sit or get waived, so be it.
Olsen is playing, Salak is bad. We are already playing 6 rookies (Kruger, Shaw, Hayes, Bollig, Leddy, Olsen), this isn't the AHL. We don't need to have half of the roster under the age of 23.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
  #6
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.
 
Crazy_Ike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,656
vCash: 500
Why is Paradis even on that list. He's probably the worst "prospect" in Rockford.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:50 PM
  #7
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
We need to find out what we have in Pirri, Morin, Olsen, Salak and Paradis. We can't let these guys rot in the minors if they are part of the future. We can't go into next season not knowing who can be counted on and for what. If that means some vets have to sit or get waived, so be it.
Olsen is playing, Pirri and Morin are both better off in the AHL (especially Morin) and Salak is being out-performed by a guy with almost no chance at an NHL future. If Both Pirri and Morin joined the AHL at 20, like most other prospects, this would be their first year pro. They're hardly "rotting".

Paradis seems like the odd man out. He had 4th line upside.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:12 PM
  #8
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,712
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
We are. It's one of the reasons why we are where we are.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:14 PM
  #9
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,502
vCash: 500
maybe, just maybe we still have a PO spot and can make the POs?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:29 PM
  #10
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
We are. It's one of the reasons why we are where we are.
Exactly. Good teams don't have half their roster under 23. Its like we are in rebuild mode or something. Biggest mistake Bowman made was relying on so many unproven kids.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:37 PM
  #11
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs
 
BBSeabs27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Exactly. Good teams don't have half their roster under 23. Its like we are in rebuild mode or something. Biggest mistake Bowman made was relying on so many unproven kids.
Leddy and Kruger. You're right our roster is half kids the only reason we have the kids up now is because Frolik and Brunette are fails, Toews is injured and so is Hjalmarsson and Montador and Carcillo. What the **** do you expect Bowman to do with so many injuries? play with 2 lines that are capable? Oh let's not forgot how great Morrison has been.

Olsen = SOD (pretty much, but Dylan is more aggressive)
Jayes>Frolik
Shaw>Brunette
Leddy has earned his NHL time and will continue to get better, improved alot since last year.
Kruger has improved since the beginning of the year as well. Yes Bowman should have gotten a legit number 2 center, but he didn't and he probably wont. Get over it. He believes in his young guys.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:42 PM
  #12
SchruteFarms
Cup #5!
 
SchruteFarms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Exactly. Good teams don't have half their roster under 23. Its like we are in rebuild mode or something. Biggest mistake Bowman made was relying on so many unproven kids.
Bowman's free agent signings include: Brunnette, Pisani, Carcillo, O'Donnell, McLean, etc. He's attempted to bring in experience, but they just haven't worked out.

SchruteFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:42 PM
  #13
ChiGuySez
Showtime
 
ChiGuySez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,260
vCash: 500
Olsen = Barker light

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:44 PM
  #14
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.
 
Crazy_Ike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSeabs27 View Post
Leddy and Kruger. You're right our roster is half kids the only reason we have the kids up now is because Frolik and Brunette are fails, Toews is injured and so is Hjalmarsson and Montador and Carcillo. What the **** do you expect Bowman to do with so many injuries? play with 2 lines that are capable? Oh let's not forgot how great Morrison has been.

Olsen = SOD (pretty much, but Dylan is more aggressive)
Jayes>Frolik
Shaw>Brunette
Leddy has earned his NHL time and will continue to get better, improved alot since last year.
Kruger has improved since the beginning of the year as well. Yes Bowman should have gotten a legit number 2 center, but he didn't and he probably wont. Get over it. He believes in his young guys.
Exactly, it's not so much relying on unproven kids as it was some of the supposed veterans completely failing.

There was one unproven kid he did rely on that he shouldn't have, though, and that is Crawford. That was a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Olsen = Barker light
Olsen is nothing like Barker.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:29 AM
  #15
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSeabs27 View Post
Leddy and Kruger. You're right our roster is half kids the only reason we have the kids up now is because Frolik and Brunette are fails, Toews is injured and so is Hjalmarsson and Montador and Carcillo. What the **** do you expect Bowman to do with so many injuries? play with 2 lines that are capable? Oh let's not forgot how great Morrison has been.

Olsen = SOD (pretty much, but Dylan is more aggressive)
Jayes>Frolik
Shaw>Brunette
Leddy has earned his NHL time and will continue to get better, improved alot since last year.
Kruger has improved since the beginning of the year as well. Yes Bowman should have gotten a legit number 2 center, but he didn't and he probably wont. Get over it. He believes in his young guys.
Don't forget Saad was on the opening day roster and Pirri came up pretty quick after that. Hayes and Shaw were playing when Carcillo was the only opening day roster player hurt. Too many rookies playing for this team this year.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:30 AM
  #16
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchruteFarms View Post
Bowman's free agent signings include: Brunnette, Pisani, Carcillo, O'Donnell, McLean, etc. He's attempted to bring in experience, but they just haven't worked out.
I don't blame him for anything he did last year, but this year they moved Campbell so they'd have cap room to go out and spend on real players, not give 1 year deals to guys on their last legs like Brunette and O'Donnel.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:35 AM
  #17
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Don't forget Saad was on the opening day roster and Pirri came up pretty quick after that. Hayes and Shaw were playing when Carcillo was the only opening day roster player hurt. Too many rookies playing for this team this year.
Saad played because Stalberg was hurt. Pirri played because Bolland missed the 1st game of the year. Pirri got his stint later on, again, because of injury.

Hayes and Shaw were playing because Bickell was playing like crap and Carcillo went down.

Olsen got his foot firmly in the door with Montador and Hjalmarsson going down and Bolligs been brought up, in part with the injury to Carcillo and in part with Scott being traded.

Alot of the call-ups have been based off injury or lack of performance on the roster. Bowman couldn't have been expected to anticipate Frolik and Bickell going to **** or Brunette being such a collosal fail when all he's done the past 5 years is be productive.

Only two rookies have been here since, basically, day one. Kruger and Leddy. Both are NHL players and both are the only "kids" (especially Leddy) in roles where they're relied upon.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:16 PM
  #18
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,712
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
It isn't the number of young players, it's the roles we asked totally unproven players to fill.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:03 PM
  #19
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
It isn't the number of young players, it's the roles we asked totally unproven players to fill.
Support roles?

The only guy under alot of pressure is Leddy. Kruger's been mostly a bottom-6 forward/PKer for Chicago this year.. and even when he's played with Sharp/Hossa, he's more a filler than a guy that's counted on to score on that line.

Hayes, Shaw, Morin, Pirri.. whenever they've come up, they haven't had pressure to be anything more than support players.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:08 PM
  #20
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,712
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Leddy has been asked to shoulder a top 4 role he's not capable of and Kruger certainly was counted on to be a big part of our forward group coming into the season.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:21 PM
  #21
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,992
vCash: 500
Coming into the season Kruger was skating on the 4th line and was a pairing with Mayers on the third set of forward PKers.

Leddy was the only player, coming into the season, that had a significant amount of pressure on him.

So, one young player with significant pressure.. and that one young player played half the season in the NHL the year prior, including the playoffs. He certainly wasn't "totally unproven". He hadn't shown he could handle being a consistent top-4 Dman, but he did show he was an NHL player.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:35 PM
  #22
xX Hot Fuss
Registered User
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11,133
vCash: 500
If Morin, Pirri, Lalonde, a s Salak were NHL ready they would have played more.

No need to rush anyone. NONE of those listed are breaking down the AHL door to play on the NHL. Have any of them even earned a NHL roster spot yet?

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:43 PM
  #23
topnotch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Support roles?

The only guy under alot of pressure is Leddy. Kruger's been mostly a bottom-6 forward/PKer for Chicago this year.. and even when he's played with Sharp/Hossa, he's more a filler than a guy that's counted on to score on that line.

Hayes, Shaw, Morin, Pirri.. whenever they've come up, they haven't had pressure to be anything more than support players.

Kruger was the Hawks' first option after the Kane experiment went downhill. Kruger has been the Hawks' 2nd line center since mid-November. I would say that's shouldering a lot of responsibility. And he is expected to produce offensively as a 2nd line center. Especially when he's between two ppg players in Sharp and Hossa.

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:52 PM
  #24
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch View Post
Kruger was the Hawks' first option after the Kane experiment went downhill. Kruger has been the Hawks' 2nd line center since mid-November. I would say that's shouldering a lot of responsibility. And he is expected to produce offensively as a 2nd line center. Especially when he's between two ppg players in Sharp and Hossa.
Kruger became the Hawks 2nd line centre when Kane at centre "failed", I think it's pretty clear Kruger wouldn't be their first choice. I would think Sharp was discussed before Kruger came up.

Second, the point was coming into the season, not as we've gone along.

Third, between Sharp and Hossa he's not expected to score. He's a filler. It's clear he's not ready for that role, yet.. but when he's in that role, he just needs to make sure he's not trying to do too much and go to the net.. which is what he's done.

When Andrew Shaw is on the 1st line, is his role to score? What about Carcillo? Obviously those players serve a more physical purpose to that line, but with Kruger between Hossa and Sharp, his main job isn't to go out there and produce. You certainly hope he does, but like I said, at this point he's a filler for that line.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
  #25
Piffle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
When Andrew Shaw is on the 1st line, is his role to score? What about Carcillo? Obviously those players serve a more physical purpose to that line, but with Kruger between Hossa and Sharp, his main job isn't to go out there and produce. You certainly hope he does, but like I said, at this point he's a filler for that line.
You can put a winger on a line to fill a role and not necessarily need big offensive output, but if you put a center on a scoring line that can't play offense, you effed up. Center and wing are two entirely different things. A center on a scoring line MUST produce.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.