HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC on FX2: Alves vs. Kampmann

Old
03-03-2012, 01:40 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Wait, you don't think Thiago Alves is a shell of his former self?

He's not remotely similar to the old Thiago.
Why did you pick him to win then?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 03:21 AM
m9

vCash: 500
My main two thoughts:

-Awesome comeback by Kampmann. Fight went exactly how I figured it would, Alves really ran right through Kampmann and appeared on another level for 14 minutes. Dumb move, and he lost.

-I had the McCall/Johnson fight 28-28 with McCall taking a clear 10-8 3rd round, so I'm glad the judging got straightened out. Great, great fight IMO. People go crazy for garbage fights in the lighter weight classes like Easton/Papizian, but this was a true great fight. Loved it.

Other than that, I did a really lazy job making picks and got burned with a really bad night. Overall some fun fights.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Peter Griffin

****** situation with the MM/Uncle Creepy fight. The UFC did everything they could to prevent this type of situation and in the end were ****ed over. In the end I guess it gives 145 a good co-main if that's where it goes and a chance to watch these two scrap again.

Clutch performance from Kampmann there. Alves was stupid to launch into that takedown against a guy like Kampmann but I don't see how anyone can fault him for tapping like that, he was in a real bad position.

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 03-03-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Why did you pick him to win then?
Because Kampmann has been robbed in decisions lately and I think Kampmann is a guy that Alves should beat simply due to his power. Alves is hard to finish and Kampmann can't finish recently.

Alves is done as a top level fighter. Probably the last time I pick him unless they start feeding him cans to rebuild him.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:28 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
I chalk it up to Thiago being a general loser these days. He's a shell of his former self. And I am certainly not the only one giving him **** for tapping instantly. His fight IQ is just horrible. Going for a takedown there was laughable.
And just like you those other people giving him **** have no idea what they're talking about. It's already been stated on here that mounted guillotine's crush the trachea and no human being would not tap right away to that. Keep ranting like a fool though.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:43 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Wait, you don't think Thiago Alves is a shell of his former self?

He's not remotely similar to the old Thiago.
Why because he just dominated one of the best WW's in the world for 14 minutes and then made a mistake costing him the fight. Good logic there. It was a dumb mistake but Alves is just as good as he's ever been. He just hasn't really evolved his game the last 4 years or so. Look at the fights he won before losing to GSP, he would still beat Koschek if Kos fought standing the whole time again and he would beat anyone that is at the level Lytle/Karo/Hughes were back then. He looked bad against Story mainly due to a bad weight cut and his other losses were against the top two WW's in the world at the time. I was surpirsed that he didn't KO Kampmann but he clearly dominated the fight. He still beats most WW's in the world.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 03-05-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: removed stuff
DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Captain_Cunney

Nice to see some logic coming into the equation on alves. Jon, you are letting emotion obstruct logic.........

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:52 PM
BGDDYKWL

Disappointing mistake for Alves to make there, particularly with the way the fight was going. It's really just bad all around because everyone who saw the fight knows that Alves is likely the better fighter, but obviously Kampmann has to be treated as such due to the victory, so you're essentially left with neither guy's stock moving all that much. Would've been much better to get an impressive win (from either guy).

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Captain_Cunney

I re-watched the fight last night & Alves didn't "immediately" tap. Martin sunk that choke in as soon as Alves' head shot in for the Td, when it hit the mat some time passed before he tapped, fact.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that not a single judge scored the fight for creepy which is also incorrect.....the original scores were 29-28 creepy, 29-28 mm, 29-28 mm (which was actually the 28-28).

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote