HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Team psychoanalysis: Why zero Killer Instinct?

Old
03-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

vCash: 500
Team psychoanalysis: Why zero Killer Instinct?

I've been amazed at all the blown leads this season. I don't remember ever seeing anything like it. The Habs have one messed up team psyche. If I had to pinpoint the most egregious problem this season it would be zero Killer Instinct.

Any Ideas what causes this? How it can be fixed?

Note: I just heard Hickey and Marinaro attempt unsuccessfully to answer this question.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Krnage

the only Players who have killer instinct is Emelin

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:23 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Lack of confidence I'd imagine?

76ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Et le But

Lack of confidence, not enough leadership on the back end.

The season got off to a bad start and they never mentally recovered. A couple of panic moves by Gauthier (Kaberle trade, coaching change) buried the season.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Lemons

The simple answer is "Lack Of"

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

The simple answer is "Meeooow".

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Bad/inexperienced D.

/thread

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:38 PM
OpenIceHit

This is the team philosophy inherited from Gainey two years ago and continued by Gauthier afterward.

Acquiring Gomez, Cammelleri, Gionta, Gill and Spacek in less than 24 hours is not what I would call "in search for a killer instinct type of team". Then aquiring Darche, Campoli and Kaberle to fill up some vacant holes. And there you have your answer.

On the other hand, adding Emeilin and Cole was a big plus. But it is still only 2 players.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:43 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

It's a game of momentum, where the mental mistakes make all the difference. We can have the killer-instinctiest team in the league easily. Just win some games, keep morale up, make the players feel valued as people - boom.

It's obviously not that easy but it's simple.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

No coherent community and players who are capable of raging like Lucic or Pronger.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:05 PM
SouthernHab

This is a team that is still playing the Martin strategy. Yes, Martin is gone but his replacement has done little to change and solve this problem.

That along with a very soft and undersized defense (exceptions of Subban, Gorges and Emelin).

Plus, throw in a team that is sorely lacking in confidence and every game becomes an adventure.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:19 PM
idk

It's never simple, but I think there's three significant contributing factors:
(1) Weak Start: We came out of the gate weak and that put us back on our heels. By the time we were able to start winning games we had alread dug a significant hole and we were already looking for guys to break out of their slumps.

(2) Panic Moves: Firing Pearn, then trading Spacek for Kaberle and then dumping Martin all in short order has created a lot of fear and confusion on the team. I'm certain some guys are wondering if they're going to be the next scapegoat. At the same time those changes create gaps as people try and adapt. We lost at least a month of games because of these reactionary changes.

(3)Bad Defense: Our defense gives us a chance to lose every game. How the guys can have any confidence in games in our backend is beyond me.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
This is a team that is still playing the Martin strategy. Yes, Martin is gone but his replacement has done little to change and solve this problem.

That along with a very soft and undersized defense (exceptions of Subban, Gorges and Emelin).

Plus, throw in a team that is sorely lacking in confidence and every game becomes an adventure.
LOL And what strategy would that be? If it's JM's strategy, they would have been blowing leads like this season for the last three years.

It's the inexperienced defense. And then, with RC, it became even worse because the inexperienced defense became an unstructured inexperienced defense.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:08 PM
GeneralManager*

We don't have a system and our guys don't really know if they should play defensive or offensive...stuck in limbo essentially. Either stay back and play a trap style and counterattack game or forecheck hard and go for the throat...we do neither.

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnage View Post
the only Players who have killer instinct is Emelin
+ Ryan "The Way" White

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:45 PM
llamateizer

the killerinstinct parameter is set to false

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Toastman

Blowing that many leads has got to be the coaches fault !

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Lshap

I wouldn't call blowing leads to be a lack of killer instinct, I'd say it's a lack of maturity and experience. Semantics, maybe, but either way there's no doubt that blown leads are almost entirely a mental problem. Mental problems can be improved with time and experience - which is potentially good news for our young roster.

Anyone know how many leads we've blown? I'd love to know our record if games were two periods!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Skarjak

Look at this team. This is a one line team. The only good forward not on the first line is Plekanec.

When you rely on the same three guys every single game, it's hard to have much killer instinct. You need offensive production from all lines, otherwise you're asking the top line to score 3 goals per game...

We might be bigger now, but there's very little talent left in our forward group.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:48 PM
uocooco

Tank mindset

uocooco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Montreal Typical

This team simply lacks talent.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Universe
Eh?

Thing I never understand is we can go 10 minutes without a scoring chance but as soon as we get scored on, the next shift seems to have "energy" and attacks the net.

I know the opposition goes on the defensive but have seen it SO much this season. Why not play every shift at that speed?

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
This team simply lacks talent.
Sadly, in a nutshell this post sums it up.

No top end talent. One line that scores with any kind of consistency. Good goaltending. A couple of decent blueliners and uh.... that's about it.

The team desperately needs to add top end talent to its roster. Let's just hope and pray that we land an elite offensive talent at the draft.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

They want Yakupov as well.

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarjak View Post
Look at this team. This is a one line team. The only good forward not on the first line is Plekanec.

When you rely on the same three guys every single game, it's hard to have much killer instinct. You need offensive production from all lines, otherwise you're asking the top line to score 3 goals per game...

We might be bigger now, but there's very little talent left in our forward group.
I sort of agree, but let's face it - part of the problem is a lack of cohesive coaching. We've moved from defensive, strategic hockey to aggressive, scrappy forechecking, but the players haven't had time to adjust. We still fall back into our timid shells in the third period. This is where a coach needs to inspire his players, or at least scare the crap out of them.

But yes, we need talent on more than one line. Bourque SHOULD be an effective scorer, Gionta SHOULD give us some real offense - we'll see next year. The crap shoot is how well young guys like Eller and Leblanc continue to develop. No sure-fire prospects coming up, with Gallagher being the best. Our magical upcoming draft pick will still need some time, which leaves... UFAs. Personally, I'd rather blow our wad on Suter, but if that's not possible (and let's face it - it's not) I'd be happy with Zach Parise. Even... Grabovski.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote