HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Game #64: vs Pittsburgh, 2/29 (6:30 PM, NBC Sports Network, 1310 AM, 104.1 FM)

Old
02-29-2012, 09:35 PM
StarsCaptainOU

vCash: 500
I'll say it again. A healthy and determined Morrow would have been awesome in this game. It was intense just like the Vancouver game and Morrow would have been hitting everything that moved.

StarsCaptainOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:35 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I blame the scapegoats. Screw them.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:36 PM
StarsCaptainOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Momentum View Post
That being said, silver lining wise, if we continue to play like that we'll win more games than we lose... gotta love the compete level
Hopefully this loss doesn't hurt our momentum. This team has been streaky all year.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:37 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Last time the pens beat them they lost their way...Remember?

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Momentum View Post
And I blame that mostly on the coaching strategy.... what is the staff's reluctance to ride the big guns at crucial moments, you don't always have to roll lines
I don't know. It seems Gulutzan is going to go with his internal competition PP strategy to the bitter end.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alistar

I feel like Dallas has to make up for this on the road now by winning at least 5 out of the 6 points available in western Canada. This just burned our game in hand.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
We should've won that game. Against a lesser team, I really think that wouldn't be a close game. 4-1, 5-2, etc.

But then again, it shows how we simply won't compete in the playoffs. Vancouver and Detroit are definitely better than this Pittsburgh team, and while I think we could grind out a couple wins, there's no way we could survive a long series, much less two if we pull an upset.

But hey, all I want is to make the playoffs. That's a huge step forward for this club.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:38 PM
catters078

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Disagree. The loss is on the 4v3 PP failing to score. That was the game right there on a silver platter.
When you get 2 goals on your first 3 shots in the shoot out, you should win...

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:39 PM
KiedisA

A point lost.. really waiting for the post-game quotes.

KiedisA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
I blame the scapegoats. Screw them.
I blame piqued! Because I can.

Kari had a relatively pedestrian game for once. But it should never have gone to OT.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:41 PM
StarsCaptainOU

Milbury is still crying about the Nystrom hit. JR is giving it to Milbury and making him look stupid.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:41 PM
TangoMcBride

Milbury is the biggest moron on the face of the planet. He doesn't even believe what he's saying.

TangoMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:42 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
When you get 2 goals on your first 3 shots in the shoot out, you should win...
But Pittsburgh scored 2/3 also

Old
02-29-2012, 09:44 PM
StarsCaptainOU

We played good but Kari had one of his lesser games and that 4 on 3 was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Why was Burish and Ott on the ice? Why did they wait until half the PP was over before they put Benn out there? Why didn't Loui get out there at all?

We should have loaded it up with Benn, Ribs, Loui or Ryder, and Goose. The coaching staff should have to answer for their personnel choices on that 4 on 3.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Might not of won but they definitely deserved to. Can't be too angry about a shooting loss, even though Kari wad awful in it.

Point loss but lots of stuff to be happy about. Gotta keep on looking forward.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:50 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Watching Ott try to act as playmaker from the point was painful. There's no amount of whiteboarding that can make that look good.

Ryder's now 16th in the league in goals so that's pretty cool. 30 should be in reach.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:54 PM
KiedisA

I wish JR would of suckered Milbury on post game!! Nystrom didn't hit his head..
-Mo twitter-

Also gotta say that Jordan Staal is a bloody great player.. "He does it all" -that sentence fits him like a glove

Old
02-29-2012, 09:55 PM
TangoMcBride

Quote:
Watching Ott try to act as playmaker from the point was painful. There's no amount of whiteboarding that can make that look good.

Ryder's now 16th in the league in goals so that's pretty cool. 30 should be in reach.
First Petersen, now Ott...while Benn sits on the bench. Genius coaching, I must say.

TangoMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:56 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

How is it that Ribeiro is so good at the saucer pass, but he can't lift a puck to save his life when shooting?

Old
02-29-2012, 09:57 PM
KiedisA

Quote:
Maybe the aim is to hit 37-40 there, mate? 'Cause if he only scores four times from now on in, we can all pack it up..

Old
02-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Can someone transcript what happened between JR and Milbury? Seen it all over twitter and now post game show is screaming about.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:17 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vercetti2021 View Post
Last time the pens beat them they lost their way...Remember?
Hey, Pens fan here. Just wanted to say two things:

1. Taking a step back, that was an incredibly entertaining hockey game to watch. Best of luck the rest of the way.

2. I wouldn't worry about the Stars losing their way. Last time the Pens beat the Stars, the Stars deserved to lose. Tonight, Marc Andre Fleury stole the two points. The Stars came at the Pens with an incredible level of relentlessness and hard work; it's like they took what really has been the Pens game all year and threw it right back in their faces. And, frankly, that was one of the best three or four team defensive jobs I've seen on Malkin in the last three months. I watch a lot of hockey, including in the West, and I can say without hesitation that the Stars are a playoff team if that's how they play out their last 18.

KIRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:18 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Hey, Pens fan here. Just wanted to say two things:

1. Taking a step back, that was an incredibly entertaining hockey game to watch. Best of luck the rest of the way.

2. I wouldn't worry about the Stars losing their way. Last time the Pens beat the Stars, the Stars deserved to lose. Tonight, Marc Andre Fleury stole the two points. The Stars came at the Pens with an incredible level of relentlessness and hard work; it's like they took what really has been the Pens game all year and threw it right back in their faces. And, frankly, that was one of the best three or four team defensive jobs I've seen on Malkin in the last three months. I watch a lot of hockey, including in the West, and I can say without hesitation that the Stars are a playoff team if that's how they play out their last 18.
Fixed to better represent the size of that if.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:39 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I agree with the sentiment that IF they play the way they did tonight for the rest of the season, they'll be in the playoffs. The effort level has been there the past 5 games and that's been really refreshing to see, after the 20ish games we had in December and Jan where it looked like they were floating out there. That work effort HAS to stay for the rest of the season if we're to have a chance.

Its sad that 2 major defensive breakdowns caused us to lose a point here.. this should have never gotten to OT. Larsen had a rough game and Souray-Robidas still continues to be the worst top pairing I've seen this team utilize in the past 3 years. The coaching staff really does deserve some of the blame with the loss of the point tonight.. Benn being woefully underutilized, the defense pairings being utter crap, relying on Robidas so much, the 4-3 personnel choices, etc. I understand the Eriksson-Riberio-Ryder line is clicking on all cylinders right now, but that's no reason they should be getting 1.30 of PP time and Benn left to pick up the scraps. Shades of what both Benn Neal had to go through with PP time under Crawford. ESPECIALLY a 4-3 when you can load up the guns.

That being said, if that shot near the end of the game trickled in this would be a different message. And props for the top line for having a beast game and tying it up enough to get a point for us out of this. I'm not too worried about the SO as we went against one of the best SO teams in the league. I wish Kari was a bit more fresh, but you really can't get on a team about losing the skills competition. Those 2 goals in 2 minutes should have never happened. And the rest of the positives outweigh the negatives of this game.

8-5-3 in February. Could be worse. Take 4-6 points on this road trip, make sure to beat the Flames in regulation, and continue that work ethic and compete level that's gotten them 4-0-1 in their last 5, and we'll be OK.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:23 PM
BeaverSports

I know Morrow will be back at some point, but can a team with Ott and Burish playing in its top six really consider itself a team that didn't need to make any changes down the stretch run?

The team played well enough today, but surely management could have done something that would either put the team in a bit better position or brought back some more youth and assets for the future.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote