HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

[EDM/MIN] Tom Gilbert Traded For Nick Schultz - Part 2

Old
02-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Heh? Do you think that Tambellini runs to the locker room and tells Renney that he better put Belanger on the PP or else?

LMAO. I think I hear the sound of crickets.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
so... after game 1... good trade?

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:34 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
so... after game 1... good trade?
I'd say yes. Schultz actually jumped into the play a few times even. He looks very solid out there. No huge hits or anything, but great stick work.

ponokanocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Heh? Do you think that Tambellini runs to the locker room and tells Renney that he better put Belanger on the PP or else?
well done sir

I like how people are still *****ing about a #1 power play. What more do they want? Super #1?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

After 1 game, it appears that it will be a trade whose success will be possible to evaluate in one year, since we need to wait on neither guy, but we should give them a decent amount of time to settle and prove themselves. In many ways I consider the very possibility that our comparison set is starting immediately as a positive.

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
well done sir

I like how people are still *****ing about a #1 power play. What more do they want? Super #1?
I would have to take a wild guess here but I would assume they would want a team with the number one PP to be better than 29th in the league.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:52 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I would have to take a wild guess here but I would assume they would want a team with the number one PP to be better than 29th in the league.
And the PP isn't the reason we're 29th.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:56 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I'd say yes. Schultz actually jumped into the play a few times even. He looks very solid out there. No huge hits or anything, but great stick work.
I agree. I was very against this trade because I'm a big Gilbert fan, but if Schultz plays every game like that, I'd say we won it. I can think of one instance with about 40 seconds left where I was really impressed. He pinned the guy at the blue line and then poked the puck away. Simple play, but not one we're normally capable of doing

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
And the PP isn't the reason we're 29th.
Not sure if serious.

My point was getting at people will ***** about anything on this club because we are still a 29th place team. Most people that complain don't see any of the improvements anywhere.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Not sure if serious.

My point was getting at people will ***** about anything on this club because we are still a 29th place team. Most people that complain don't see any of the improvements anywhere.
A common misconception is that as soon as we become a good team we'll all be happier and will whine a lot less, That is incorrect

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:13 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrownHero View Post
A common misconception is that as soon as we become a good team we'll all be happier and will whine a lot less, That is incorrect
Haha. Nice. Whining is just easier to justify right now, that's all.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yep, any time I look at another team's GDT's when the Oilers win, even real good teams, you will see player hating, firing requests and so forth.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
That is true. I recall in 2006 many people complained about Rem the gem and Todd Harvey to no end.

I'm just saying a 1st place PP doesn't really need to be *****ed about but it is because the team is in 29th.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:30 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
well done sir

Why not expand our lead? Just cause it's number 1 doesn't mean it can't improve. We're losing the 5x5 battle badly, so we may as well load up on the PP. Besides we're .1% above Vancouver, .2% above Nashville and .4% above SJ. It's not like we're running away with it.

Our PP is working because of the elite skill of RNH, Hall, and Eberle, especially when they have extra room. It isn't because of some genius plan from the coaching staff. Getting Horcoff away from the top PP would help it. RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Hall, Petry/Whitney should be the number 1 PP, imo.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Why not expand our lead? Just cause it's number 1 doesn't mean it can't improve. We're losing the 5x5 battle badly, so we may as well load up on the PP. Besides we're .1% above Vancouver, .2% above Nashville and .4% above SJ. It's not like we're running away with it.

Our PP is working because of the elite skill of RNH, Hall, and Eberle, especially when they have extra room. It isn't because of some genius plan from the coaching staff. Getting Horcoff away from the top PP would help it. RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Hall, Petry/Whitney should be the number 1 PP, imo.
Because we can focus our QQing elsewhere, where we have huge deficiencies. We have plenty of topics to choose from there.

Also, disagree on your second post. Our PP needs to have 2 lines, not 1. Keep the kids + Petry + front of the net guy on the first line. Gagner doesn't need to be there. Just my 2 cents.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Part of the reason they have extra room is that a d-man is usually battling with a Horcoff, Smyth, or Jones in front of the net. Sure replace any of them, but who of RNH, Eberle, Gagner, or Hall should be the cross-check target?

Old
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
That is true. I recall in 2006 many people complained about Rem the gem and Todd Harvey to no end.

I'm just saying a 1st place PP doesn't really need to be *****ed about but it is because the team is in 29th.
Who is *****ing about the power play?

Y'all be missing the forest for the trees.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:46 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Because we can focus our QQing elsewhere, where we have huge deficiencies. We have plenty of topics to choose from there.
This is an internet messageboard. There is enough QQing, as you call it, to go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Also, disagree on your second post. Our PP needs to have 2 lines, not 1. Keep the kids + Petry + front of the net guy on the first line. Gagner doesn't need to be there. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Part of the reason they have extra room is that a d-man is usually battling with a Horcoff, Smyth, or Jones in front of the net. Sure replace any of them, but who of RNH, Eberle, Gagner, or Hall should be the cross-check target?
I kind of want to see Gagner in front. He can tip pucks and has good awareness to look for rebounds/missed shots. At least he won't just stand there and get hit by the point shot, lose the puck battle and let it be cleared like Horcoff. And since standing in front isn't like the old days when opposing D and G could pound on you, I am not too worried about his smaller size.

Smyth would also be fine instead of Gagner, although his hands aren't what they once were.

And since this is an off topic discussion, if either of you want to keep it going, can we do it via PM? Thanks/

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:25 PM
alanschu

Quote:

Because then we'd be ignoring the "development" that everyone else seems to be clamouring for in other threads.

Focusing your efforts on improving the #1 ranked power play (how far ahead do you need to be to be "running away with it" by the way) is going to see the most marginal of improvements for this team. Especially if it has nothing to do with coaching and everything to do with the innate skill of the players on the team.

If people are willing to blame coaching on the problems with the team, they have to be willing to grant as much recognition for the stuff that is working well.

A stellar example is this: Renney has already gone on record in post game interviews praising the team when they continue to play aggressive and don't sit on a lead. Yet fans seem to think that when the players do this, it's in spite of Renney, and when the team does get tight and play conservatively, it's all a part of Renney's master plan.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:27 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Montreal just scored while Gilbert was on ice.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Montreal just scored while Gilbert was on ice.
Bah - PPG... I've always been pro-gilbert, but I always like to see our traded guys struggle a little, just because I'm petty a nice shiny minus woulda looked good there

Thrill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I think our D-core going forward looks a lot better with Schultz in it than Gilbert.

Since we have a #7 guy in Potter and Petry made the big step Gilbert became redundant.

Schultz is a guy we didn't have. Now with him and Smid we have two effective guys who can actually play a viable defense.

Great move for us.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:14 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Gilbert led the Wild in ice time tonight with just under 27 minutes.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
I think our D-core going forward looks a lot better with Schultz in it than Gilbert.

Since we have a #7 guy in Potter and Petry made the big step Gilbert became redundant.

Schultz is a guy we didn't have. Now with him and Smid we have two effective guys who can actually play a viable defense.

Great move for us.
I think word choice is important here. Petry's emergence made Gilbert expendable, not redundant.

A bottom pairing that includes one of Whitney, Petry or Gilbert would be better than what we can ice now.

It's a good ol' hockey trade that got us Schultz, but it's too bad that we lost Gilbert in it considering the depth in our defence.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
I think word choice is important here. Petry's emergence made Gilbert expendable, not redundant.

A bottom pairing that includes one of Whitney, Petry or Gilbert would be better than what we can ice now.

It's a good ol' hockey trade that got us Schultz, but it's too bad that we lost Gilbert in it considering the depth in our defence.
Having this:

XXXX-Smid
XXXX-Schultz

looks better than having:

XXXX-XXXX
Smid-Gilbert

With those XXXX's being Petry, Whitney, Potter, Klefbom, whoever down the road.

That's just my thought, though. I'm really not a Gilbert fan at all.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote