HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/MIN] Tom Gilbert Traded For Nick Schultz - Part 2

Old
03-18-2012, 11:03 AM
The Rage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
So Shultz isnt as good as Gilbert because Renney gives Potter Play more minutes than he should and because Minny has an absolutely brutal defense group, probably the worst in the league.

Using that same "logic" one could argue that Horcoff is one of the best players in the league because of the way his coach uses him.

A single coach has his preferences, and may play certain players more or less than they should be played. However, if two NHL coaching staffs play Gilbert more than Schultz, then I can't see how that possibly can't be a statement on their respective value.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:17 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
A single coach has his preferences, and may play certain players more or less than they should be played. However, if two NHL coaching staffs play Gilbert more than Schultz, then I can't see how that possibly can't be a statement on their respective value.
You of all people should know better than to make this argument at this point in time.
The small sample size tells you as much.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:26 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
That doesnt apply in this case because of the emergence of Petry, Whitney getting back into form, and the Oilers already having an established guy who plays the same roll as Schultz. The Wild are starving for a guy with any kind of offensive ability from the back end. Gilbert is their only only option on a blue line that includes nothing that compares to Smid, Petry or Whitney.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:15 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
You of all people should know better than to make this argument at this point in time.
The small sample size tells you as much.
As I stated earlier, I said we shall see how these two are used moving forward. I agree the sample size is small right now.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:20 PM
I am the Liquor

Gilbert own goal

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...7&event=MIN834

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 03-18-2012 at 01:26 PM.
I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:30 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
As I stated earlier, I said we shall see how these two are used moving forward. I agree the sample size is small right now.
Would you agree that so far Schultz has been a better addition for Edmonton than Gilbert has for Minny?

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Gilberts average ice time in the month of February with the Oilers including 2 OT games 19:05.

Schultz' average ice time with the Oilers including 2 SO games 17:45.

Gilbert was playing 1:20 more and I'm sure that a lot of that was on the PP. PP time in those games that he actually had PP time = 0:03, 0:27, 0:59, 2:57, 0:03, 0:41. 5:10 total or 34 seconds/game on the PP in that time.

So in reality you're looking at in terms of ES and PK that Gilbert was playing 18:31 Vs. Schultz' 17:45 less than a minute per game difference. And before people go spouting off about how Gilbert was better because he played on the PP, Gilbert had all of 2-4-6 on the PP all year. Schultz has 4 points since joining us. Gilbert was not an adequate PP guy and I'm sure that we'll see Petry blow his PP production out of the water once our coach pulls his head out of his ass and starts playing him there regularly.

03-30-2012, 02:49 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Tom Gilbert has 2 points in 14 games with the Wild

Granted the Wild have been in freefall by the looks of it (Heatley might not crack 50 points despite a full season, Brodziak is the 2nd highest point-getter).

Is Gilbert in a long line of recently traded Oilers who are not seeing success? (Penner, Cogliano).

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:10 AM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
Is Gilbert in a long line of recently traded Oilers who are not seeing success? (Penner, Cogliano).
If that's the case, I think the league might catch on and nobody would ever trade with the Oilers again

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:14 AM
GatoradeG*

Considering the Wild currently I would call that a blistering hot pace of scoring.

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:04 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

They wanted to get away from a defensive system. Now they can't play defense period. I just hope they don't end up with Dumba or Murray. :/

With ex-Oilers struggling. so what. There were So many ex-Oilers that performed better once they left. haha. It's about time we get some that do not produce.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:03 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 313
show of hands who predicted Cogs would outscore Penner this year

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:05 AM
oilphan

That is called putting the tank before yourself.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:39 AM
oilersrule14

4 in 15 with last nights game included.

But I don't know if offence is the best way to measure any players success in Minnesota. Their highest dman has 23 points on the season and and their highest forward has 47 points.

He leads their team in icetime, getting more minutes than Nick Schultz got, so he can't be doing that bad.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:39 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
show of hands who predicted Cogs would outscore Penner this year
I would have bet someone before the year started that Cogs would have more goals than Gagner... good thing I didn't make that bet. Although if it wasn't for that 8 point night it would be damn close right now.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:43 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
4 in 15 with last nights game included.

But I don't know if offence is the best way to measure any players success in Minnesota. Their highest dman has 23 points on the season and and their highest forward has 47 points.
Minny has elite goaltending and not much else. Niklas Backstrom, Josh Harding and Matt Hackett are all better than what Edmonton has... otherwise the two teams are pretty much carbon copies of each other (except Oilers have arguably a much brighter future... hopefully)... no wonder they seemed like such good trade partners.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:22 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 330
Is this really a shock? Although he did have 2a last night.

The guy wasn't exactly racking up the minutes in Edmonton, a place that has 40 more goals than Minny. A team that lacked offensive talent from the blueline. He couldn't get it done here so I'm not shocked he is have a hard time on a team that has been outright brutal.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Aerchon

There is a reason we were last place 2 years in a row and Gilbert IMO is one the main reasons. If that guy ever reaches his potential than we might regret our trade but that is very unlikely to happen.

Pretty much any Oiler under the age of 24, over the last 3 years has to be looked at as soft and barely NHL worthy.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:16 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
There is a reason we were last place 2 years in a row and Gilbert IMO is one the main reasons. If that guy ever reaches his potential than we might regret our trade but that is very unlikely to happen.

Pretty much any Oiler under the age of 24, over the last 3 years has to be looked at as soft and barely NHL worthy.
Is it really Gilbert's fault or the fact that we had to use him in a bigger role than he is capable of?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Doppler Drift

I have watched at least parts of 5 Wild games since Tom got there. He has been playing big minutes and hasn't been bad at all. Their team just sucks.

What is it with fans and their illogical need to belittle and besmirch ex-players from their team. It is silly. They are gone. Get over it.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Shanahanigans

You know what's shocking? Apparently Backstrom is 34!!!!!! I always thought he was much, much younger

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Skm

I know they have quite a few injuries, but looking at the Wild's current line up (http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/l...minnesota-wild) its a surprise that they aren't getting blown out in every game.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is it really Gilbert's fault or the fact that we had to use him in a bigger role than he is capable of?
It's definitely the latter. I don't think it's a coincidence Tom played his best when he was paired with a defensive D-man in Smid.

Now Smid isn't a jobber, but he complimented Gilbert the best. Instead in alot of games Gilbert had to cover Whitney, and it made him look worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
I have watched at least parts of 5 Wild games since Tom got there. He has been playing big minutes and hasn't been bad at all. Their team just sucks.

Trouble sleeping?

03-30-2012, 10:35 AM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post

What is it with fans and their illogical need to belittle and besmirch ex-players from their team. It is silly. They are gone. Get over it.
Agreed. He was a good Oiler, and I hope he has success in Minny. They have a player they needed, and Schultz is working out well for us. No reason to rip on him.

PigeonCamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:37 AM
mnwildgophers

Hey guys, just popping in to see how Schultz has been playing for you guys and what you think of him. I wasn't a huge fan of his when he played here with the Wild, but he was with the team for a long time and I thought he always played for the most part a solid defensive game.

Gilbert has looked equal if not better than Schultz did when he was here. I think the trade made sense for us because we needed a guy that would jump into the rush every now and then and maybe move the puck a little better than Schultz. Gilbert was the direct result of our game tying goal last night and sprung Koivu on a breakaway with a nice pass in OT. I've thought he hasn't looked out of place at all and he's not one to blame as far as our losing woes go. That's a whole other can of worms. One thing I really liked about Gilbert's game so far is that we could never keep the puck in at the points, he seems very good at that aspect and when to pinch, when to not pinch, etc. He's been one of our better defenseman (not that it's saying much with our blueline) since the trade.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote