HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/MIN] Tom Gilbert Traded For Nick Schultz - Part 2

Old
02-29-2012, 12:46 AM
WaitingForUser

vCash: 500
Can we look back a few years to the Whitney trade? Who here thought it was a terrible trade at the time raise your hand? This trade is very sim. We probably won this trade based solely on organizational need. As I said earlier a ballanced D corps is a good thing. 3 shutdown guys Smid Sutton and schultz 3 offensive/ TWD men Whitney Petry Potter. Now let's look at the farm shalt we. 3 shutdown d Tubert Plante Tulipov 3 Offensive d men KLefbom Gernat Marancin. Seems to me what we have now is a great situation of bringing sim players into sim roles over the next few years.

WaitingForUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:49 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The Wild were in absolute free fall and pretty much the worst team in the league since christmas. With Nick Schultz vaunted leadership and shutdown play apparently not stemming that tide.
Schultz has had a really questionable year. I suspect its why he was on the block.

Maybe a change of scenery does him good. Can only hope.
Couldn't basically the exact same thing be said about Gilbert?

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:50 AM
dobiezeke*

After watching Smid play solid defense and block multiple shots against Winnipeg, all I could think is that he must be jubilant that we now have another solid defensive defenseman to take up some of the slack.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
This being the Gilbert that was missed after he was injured Jan 2 and the team proceeded to go on a 3-9 tear the rest of the month?

A 29th place team has managed to be .500 with him in the lineup. Much worse without him.

Doesn't prove anything. But I don't know that Gilbert contributed to any downfall here.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:52 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Agree - this trade should give both guys the chance to restart their careers in a new environment.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:53 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

I wasn't going to continue posting on this topic, because I think it's pretty much spinning its wheels until both gilbert and schultz have like 10 games under their belt in their new organzations, but I'd like to use this opportunity to petition for a "like" style button or system so I don't feel then need to just parrot what others have said.

To summarize; too early to tell on this trade's outcome for at least a month, if not a tad longer. Settle down people.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:59 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
This being the Gilbert that was missed after he was injured Jan 2 and the team proceeded to go on a 3-9 tear the rest of the month?

A 29th place team has managed to be .500 with him in the lineup. Much worse without him.

Doesn't prove anything. But I don't know that Gilbert contributed to any downfall here.
Schultz played on the worst team in the league for 2 months. Gilbert played on the worst team in the league for 2 seasons.

I don't think you can really hold that against the individuals.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Seriously, no one is taking this trade as a foreshadowing of us taking a d-man at the draft and likely breaking that D in next year? I have no doubt that a guy like Ryan Murray would be a MUCH better puck mover than Gilbert is next year, he'll probably leave some defense on the table though so that's where a guy like Schultz comes in. Having a D with Whitney, Petry, and Murray on it would be an exceptional puck moving defense. Smid, Schultz, and Sutton are the stay at home types. Contrary to popular belief, management has a plan, the problem is that you don't make every move on the same day, it doesn't work that way. This is step 1 to improve the D next year.

02-29-2012, 01:02 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:

How many games did he play in the previous 2 seasons on the worst club in the league?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:03 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
After watching Smid play solid defense and block multiple shots against Winnipeg, all I could think is that he must be jubilant that we now have another solid defensive defenseman to take up some of the slack.
So if a player takes a shot and Laddy is between the shooter and the net, is he going to avoid it now because he's got Schultz sitting on the bench or in another area of the ice?

02-29-2012, 01:05 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Wonder if missing the Nuge and Eberle for part of that might have contributed.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
So if a player takes a shot and Laddy is between the shooter and the net, is he going to avoid it now because he's got Schultz sitting on the bench or in another area of the ice?
Do you have a clue as to what the other poster was trying to imply?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
How many games did he play in the previous 2 seasons on the worst club in the league?
So its Gilberts fault he was playing on the worst team in the league? I don't know what you're saying.

2 years ago the team is -70, last place. Gilbert, Logging huge toi manages to be -10. On the worst team in the league.

Last season Gilbert playing over 24mins night on a club that was -79(a shocking number) and was -14 while playing nearly half the clubs minutes that year. Thats actually managing to stay a float on a club thats drowning

I can tell you that a whole lot worse has happened with Gilbert off the ice than with Gilbert on the ice.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Well considering Gilbert Blocked 176 shots last year and was 10th in the whole NHL and tops on the Oilers in that category (by 50 blocks) I'm not sure what you're saying here.

If Smid wanted somebody else blocking shots on the team its probably Gilbert.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
So its Gilberts fault he was playing on the worst team in the league? I don't know what you're saying.

2 years ago the team is -70, last place. Gilbert, Logging huge toi manages to be -10. On the worst team in the league.

Last season Gilbert playing over 24mins night on a club that was -79(a shocking number) and was -14 while playing nearly half the clubs minutes that year. Thats actually managing to stay a float on a club thats drowning

I can tell you that a whole lot worse has happened with Gilbert off the ice than with Gilbert on the ice.
Were you not questioning Schultz' quality as a player because of his teams recent horrid stretch?

Old
02-29-2012, 01:11 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

It's always fun to make fun of guys that are no longer on your team. It's human nature. Look at Penner, Souray for more examples.

I don't think Gilbert was awful and I wish him the best in Minny but as an Oilers supporter I've gotta thrown my support behind Schultz and hope for the best. Gotta admit it looks like a mediocre dman for a mediocre dman (with Gilbert being less mediocre) but fully willing to watch and see what happens the rest of the season and into the future.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 400
As long as the new guy can clear the lane so big Doobie can see the puck it's all good. It's time for this team to improve defensively. Time to get harder to play against.

God knows the offense will come.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Were you not questioning Schultz' quality as a player because of his teams recent horrid stretch?
No. But you can consider it a commentary on one player not being able to stem the tide of an entire team. As hard as Gilbert tried to do that here all these years logging more minutes every year than anybody else on the club.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Well considering Gilbert Blocked 176 shots last year and was 10th in the whole NHL and tops on the Oilers in that category (by 50 blocks) I'm not sure what you're saying here.

If Smid wanted somebody else blocking shots on the team its probably Gilbert.
One day you will get over it every time a player you like leaves its like you keep posting a eulogy and you have to defend everything about the player. God forbid they ever move Gagner

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
It's always fun to make fun of guys that are no longer on your team. It's human nature. Look at Penner, Souray for more examples
I honestly don't understand this. If I respect a player I respect a player. It doesn't switch on and off like that for me.

Not being critical with this, just different reactions is all.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
One day you will get over it every time a player you like leaves its like you keep posting a eulogy and you have to defend everything about the player. God forbid they ever move Gagner
The team just traded the player that logged the most minutes on the team over the last 5 yrs every year. Not some insignificant player.

Its not just the trade. But the further thought that Tamblowe are still running this ship. This being jsut a further sign of that.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
The team just traded the D that logged more minutes on the team over the last 5 yrs every year. Not some insignificant player.

Its not just the trade. But the further thought that Tamblowe are still running this ship. This being jsut a further sign of that.
I don't know comes off sappy crappy imo.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
TBH I didn't even know that he was this big of a fan of Gilbert, like I didn't know that he was as big of a fan of Penner at the time that he left. I knew that he was liking Penner more than he had
been previous, but I must admit that I am quite surprised by his hard line stance for Gilbert and against Schultz.

Quote:
[B]

I honestly don't understand this. If I respect a player I respect a player. It doesn't switch on and off like that for me.

Not being critical with this, just different reactions is all.
This I agree with, if you respected a player then respect him even when he leaves.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:21 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
To be fair. He is only 1 guy. He cant play 60 mins.
No, but Schultz was one of our lynchpins to the defense and was one of our veterans.

Quote:
The team is bad b/c once again b/c they just arent that good. They also got tricked by SJ. A player that plays with Thornton will have bloated stats. Devin Setoguchi is a freakin 26 point player. It happened with Cheechoo and its happening with Seto
When two of your top 6 is out, you're going to have a lot of issues. When 4 of your top 6 are nursing injuries, you're going to have serious issues. Koivu hasn't been healthy this year. Setoguchi hasn't been healthy this year. Bouchard and Lats might be done.

Heatley's been our best forward.

Seto is also on pace for around 20 goals and would have gotten around 25ish if he wasn't injured. He probably would have gotten around 40 points, which isn't bad. He'll need time to adjust but there hasn't been actually a lot of drop off in play from San Jose to Minnesota. He's been a streaky player and always will be.

We also got Coyle and Phillips from that trade and they are big time prospects.

Good luck with Schultz =) He's a solid defenseman, don't expect much out of him and he'll fit in. I think he'll do fine in Edmonton.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:24 AM
SilverHaireDevil

I like what Tom Gilbert brought to the club, anyone else remember him talking about how great it was to be home at thanksgiving this year and saying how it had been the first time in years he had been home for one? Who knows what gets said between GM's and players.
Hes gone and now we have Schultz time to get in a new Oiler's corner and hope he can bring his leadership and his game back around (anyone catch Tambo talking about him showing our new young D men how to play defense?) any guesses about what were drafting this year? I like what i see going on with my team.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote