HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

[EDM/MIN] Tom Gilbert Traded For Nick Schultz - Part 2

Old
02-29-2012, 12:25 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
[B]

I honestly don't understand this. If I respect a player I respect a player. It doesn't switch on and off like that for me.

Not being critical with this, just different reactions is all.
I like Penner as well... but gotta admit it's funny seeing his "pancake escapades" in La La land.

I think it's especially fun with Penner because of the whole Fraser/Smyth fiasco and how Deano almost had a breakdown over that saga.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
So if a player takes a shot and Laddy is between the shooter and the net, is he going to avoid it now because he's got Schultz sitting on the bench or in another area of the ice?
No but he has a partner in crime, someone that can share those duties playing against the team's top lines and top PP unit.

02-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
The team just traded the player that logged the most minutes on the team over the last 5 yrs every year. Not some insignificant player.

Its not just the trade. But the further thought that Tamblowe are still running this ship. This being jsut a further sign of that.

And now we finally have it out as to the crux of the matter. Wouldn't make a difference if we traded Barker for Malkin, it's the people making the trade that are the problem, according to some.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I like Penner as well... but gotta admit it's funny seeing his "pancake escapades" in La La land.

I think it's especially fun with Penner because of the whole Fraser/Smyth fiasco and how Deano almost had a breakdown over that saga.
I soured on Penner prior to the deadline, this was from a guy that wanted us to OS him. Seeing Tambo crucified for that trade and then to see Penner lay a rotten egg in LA while Klefbom was a stud at the WJC's and seeing how much of a PITA Teubert is to play against along the boards makes me smile and love the trade.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
TBH I didn't even know that he was this big of a fan of Gilbert, like I didn't know that he was as big of a fan of Penner at the time that he left. I knew that he was liking Penner more than he had
been previous, but I must admit that I am quite surprised by his hard line stance for Gilbert
and against Schultz.

This I agree with, if you respected a player then respect him even when he leaves.
C'mon Bryan. Gilbert and Gagner are two of my favorite players that were on the team. Heres a thread from the offseason if you don't believe me.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...456&highlight=

Is it not clear where I stand?

If thats your take on me so be it. Because it sure seems like you're trying to say something there about me.

Anyway I'm done here.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:29 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
I like what Tom Gilbert brought to the club, anyone else remember him talking about how great it was to be home at thanksgiving this year and saying how it had been the first time in years he had been home for one? Who knows what gets said between GM's and players.
Hes gone and now we have Schultz time to get in a new Oiler's corner and hope he can bring his leadership and his game back around (anyone catch Tambo talking about him showing our new young D men how to play defense?) any guesses about what were drafting this year? I like what i see going on with my team.

That's a good healthy attitude you have, as opposed to those who always whine about who left the team, and how we got screwed in a trade before we even get a chance to see how it works out.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
The team just traded the player that logged the most minutes on the team over the last 5 yrs every year. Not some insignificant player.

Its not just the trade. But the further thought that Tamblowe are still running this ship. This being jsut a further sign of that.
Gibby was one of my favourite Oilers, and yes he did lead our team in minutes, but he lead our team to 0 Playoff games, two first overall picks, and 4 top 10 picks. I in know way want to blame this on Gilbert because he was a good defenseman who was in over his head and had seemed to turn a corner, but maybe it was time for a change. Schultz is what our team needs, a good defensive guy who can help our abysmal own zone play. I will withhold opinion until I see the guy play a few times, but we have what looks like a better Gilbert in our system in Jeff Petry and we don't have any top 4 Defensive D that are ready like Schultz.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
And now we finally have it out as to the crux of the matter. Wouldn't make a difference if we traded Barker for Malkin, it's the people making the trade that are the problem, according to some.
In all honesty, there seems to be numerous reasons why our managerial regime is referred to as "Tamblowe".

Case in point: The fact we even have Barker in the first place.

And count me amongst the group having a hard time believing they're capable of being better than they've been in the past at making/not making deals to improve the team.

Another deadline has come & gone and we MIGHT have marginally improved the team for next season.

Don't get me wrong...

I like the idea of acquiring a player like Schultz & I voted "yes" on this trade.

But I gotta' be honest...there really isn't a great reason for the support I am giving it...beyond the fact they're trying to get better defensivley by acquiring a player who we can be somewhat confident with in his ability to help.

That beats the hell out of the Barker recruitment.

I guess my standards are just that low for Tamblowe.

B

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
In all honesty, there seems to be numerous reasons why our managerial regime is referred to as "Tamblowe".

And count me amongst the group having a hard time believing they're capable of being better than they've been in the past at making/not making deals to improve the team.

Another deadline has come & gone and we MIGHT have marginally improved the team for next season.

Don't get me wrong...

I like the idea of acquiring a player like Schultz & I voted "yes" on this trade.

But I gotta' be honest...there really isn't a great reason for the support I am giving it...beyond the fact they're trying to get better defensivley by acquiring a player who we can be somewhat confident with in his ability to help.

B
I think what will be the most telling, is if they extend him in any shape or form.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:05 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
I think what will be the most telling, is if they extend him in any shape or form.
Its not bad enough they brought him here in the first place?

Old
02-29-2012, 01:07 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Seriously, no one is taking this trade as a foreshadowing of us taking a d-man at the draft and likely breaking that D in next year? I have no doubt that a guy like Ryan Murray would be a MUCH better puck mover than Gilbert is next year, he'll probably leave some defense on the table though so that's where a guy like Schultz comes in. Having a D with Whitney, Petry, and Murray on it would be an exceptional puck moving defense. Smid, Schultz, and Sutton are the stay at home types. Contrary to popular belief, management has a plan, the problem is that you don't make every move on the same day, it doesn't work that way. This is step 1 to improve the D next year.
We wont have any choice in the matter, the habs are like a neutron star thats about to implode into a black hole, they are out-sucking us as we speak, the only way we pick 2nd or higher is if we win the lotto imo, which means (unless they pick Galchenyuk) we will be picking a dman this year.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Its not bad enough they brought him here in the first place?
I think taking a flyer on a player is logistically more sound then extending him after seeing him play for a season. That's not to say at this point either is a good thing. It's like swimming in poo or pee. One will be worse, but neither is good.

Did I just make that analogy?

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:08 AM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
It's funny to see gilbert and foster on the Wild roster playing against penner stoll and fraser against LA. The oilers players sure have a high turn-around rate. As for Barker, I like him, he played well against Winnipeg, and I am sure he will turn it around.

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Everest

Quote:
I think taking a flyer on a player is logistically more sound then extending him after seeing him play for a season. That's not to say at this point either is a good thing. It's like swimming in poo or pee. One will be worse, but neither is good.

Did I just make that analogy?
Like I said at the time...a 2.25MM "flyer" is absolutley insane & all 5 flavors of stupid.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:15 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:

Don't get me wrong...

B
Well said, both Lowe and Tortellini have worn out their welcome in Oil country and it's time to move on. Make Lowe a reprensentive for the Club but make sure he has nothing to do with player procurement, and send Tambo packing. This guy is a Nonis clone and needs to go. If he re-ups it just shows how incompetent our management is from the owner down.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Gabriel6676

Quote:
No kidding. I sense a "tone" regarding Schultz already growing with some around here, and he hasn't even played a game.
My prediction - Schultz is going to be very good for us as a solid shut down d. Either way some oilers fans are just too impatient and too quick to speak - it is a bit embarrasing i think. I am curious to see how many admit they were wrong as the season progresses if Schultz is as good as it seems.

Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:23 AM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
barker > peckham foster strudwick vandermeer souray grebeshkov johnson chorney petiot plante greene pitkanen tarnstrom bergeron

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:25 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
barker > peckham foster strudwick vandermeer souray grebeshkov johnson chorney petiot plante greene pitkanen tarnstrom bergeron

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Like I said at the time...a 2.25MM "flyer" is absolutley insane & all 5 flavors of stupid.
It was 1 year. There are literally no long-term implications from that contract or signing in any way or form.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:30 AM
Kayen
Dubnykov

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
LOL What, i see at least 2-3 names that are definitely better.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:34 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Anyone else concerned About Schultz taking # 15

15 Nick Schultz, Joffrey Lupul, Brad Isbister, Marty Reasoner, Dan Lacouture, Chad Kilger, Drake Berehowsky, Joe Hulbig, Fredrik Olausson, Scott Thornton, Kelly Buchberger, David Roberts, Kent Nilsson, Steven Rice, Dan Currie, Greg Hawgood, Kevin Todd, David Haas, Tomas Srsen, Trevor Sim, Miroslav Frycer, Geoff Courtnall, Jeff Brubaker, Mike Moller, Pat Conacher, Steve Graves, Curt Brackenbury, Wayne Bianchin, Alex Tidey

Here is the list #15 hasn't been a very good Number for The Oilers
Could be worse, he could have taken 44.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
It was 1 year. There are literally no long-term implications from that contract or signing in any way or form.
Yes, cloned, there ARE long term implications of having a managerial regime which can't find better investments for 2.25MM of cap cash than Cam Barker.

Its called eternal sucking.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

I think more than 10 games need to be used as a measurement, will need to go into next year, in large part because the teams are going somewhat in opposite directions right now. It's just that the Oilers are not moving in their direction with near the same pace.

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
Yes, cloned, there ARE long term implications of having a managerial regime which can't find better investments for 2.25MM of cap cash than Cam Barker.

Or taking a risk on a former 3rd overall player whom had shown upside with a 45 point season, and thought playing with a young team could possibly revitalize him?

Not sure how this will harm us at all in the future.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:50 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:

I think Vandermeer would have been better and came cheaper.

Is that what youre getting at?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote