HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you support Burke's self-imposed trade freeze

View Poll Results: Do you support trade freeze prior to TDD
Yes 24 16.90%
No 105 73.94%
Undecided 13 9.15%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Leafsman

vCash: 500
Do you support Burke's self-imposed trade freeze

I was just wondering how many fans would agree with Burke's possible trade freeze prior to deadline?

I'm not sure just how much it will protect the players as it will just push the hype 10 days earlier. Plus it may not stop other GM's from still calling and people still speculating as it is only self-imposed but if Burke made it clear and didn't budge it could work!

I would say I am for it!

If it protects players and the play then go for it. Really no downside! We have no idea how the media affects the players and if mgmt thinks it is negative then they MUST do something about it.

Plus I think it could protect the team from making ridiculous deadline deals!!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:25 AM
whitera

y would u freeze? if the right deal comes, take it.

whitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:25 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Absolutely not, that would be a joke. Deals develop on deadline day, much like the Ashton one likely did when Yzer was in the market for an NHL ready D

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:28 AM
KuleminFan41

He said he's thinking about it because guys like Kulemin,Schenn, Grabovski were traded about 50 times before and after games. He also said he wouldn't turn down the right deal if it were to come by if he did do a trade freeze but he might do it because the media goes overboard fking with peoples lives.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners

These players are too well to succumb to the pressure of the trade deadline. Doesn't make sense. I don't think he'll impose one in the end, but it was a subtle attempt to diss the media for going overboard a lot.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Absolutely not, that would be a joke. Deals develop on deadline day, much like the Ashton one likely did when Yzer was in the market for an NHL ready D
The trade freeze could be for strictly Leaf Roster players.

- Which would allow Burke to still trade picks/prospects which means that deal still would have happened.

Now another way to try to relieve some pressure woudl be to try to sign some of the players like Grabo before the TDD. Had Grabo been signed then that woudl have stopped alot of speculation!

Old
02-28-2012, 08:32 AM
mooseOAK*

What trade freeze are you talking about? He's always said that he prefers to trade before the deadline.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
What trade freeze are you talking about?
Burke suggested maybe imposing a internal trade freeze prior to teh trade deadline

Old
02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Emroc

If the players play like crap because they're distracted close to the real trade deadline, they'll play like crap close to Burke's trade deadline too.
It's dumb.

Emroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:35 AM
pspot

every player in the league deals with the trade deadline, just because you make it another date doesn't mean they just wont go through the same things just earlier.
the media would still continue to ask and speculate regardless of Burke

wtf does he think he is

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:35 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Burke suggested maybe imposing a internal trade freeze prior to teh trade deadline
He wasn't serious about that. He was taking a shot at the Media.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:37 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Burke's not going to freeze anything . Just another excuse to deflect how bad this teams playing .

I don't even know how the freakin idiot can say this with a straight face . Even if Burke was right , what difference would it make . The team would get just as nervous before his deadline as it would the leagues .

I could see Nonis and Dudly pissing themselves laughing that Burke actually had the balls to say such a idiotic statement .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:37 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Of course not. All you're doing is pushing it back. Things will get just as nutty leading up to that freeze. If Burke thinks his team can't mentally handle it maybe he can have a trade freeze for the entire regular season.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:39 AM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
What trade freeze are you talking about? He's always said that he prefers to trade before the deadline.
Burke is thinking about putting a trade freeze a week or 2 before the trade deadline but wouldn't be opposed to trading players on deadline day if the right deal comes

Old
02-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Gatorade*

Funny how Burke once again complains about the hockey market he lives in yet makes millions off of.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Yes. I wouldn't worry about Burke treating his players respectfully as much as his tendency to accumulate fading veterans on retirement contracts. His roster currently has more deadweight veterans than not only Burke inherited but also Fletcher inherited:

Komisarek
Connolly
Lombardi
Armstrong
Orr
new retirement contract addition: Liles

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyfanz

Its an idiotic premise brought to us by an idiotic GM to a desperate and gullible fan base. Think about....how does moving the trade deadline to a different date change anything. Say Burke calls the "Toronto Maple Leafs trade deadline" 10 days sooner. So the self-imposed date is February 18th instead. Is that still not a deadline? Will that excuse players from playing poorly for the few weeks leading up to the 18th because they may be moved before the self-imposed deadline? Absolutely ridiculous. More "wagging the dog". Classic Burke deflecting the BS from what really matters here. His team stinks, is gutless, lacks leadership, awful coaching, poor goaltending, swiss cheese defense....etc....but yeah its because of the "trade deadline"....and judging by this poll....quite a few buy into it....See how people can be manipulated. Amazing.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Stats01

No I don't agree with it, you're taking away 7 days where you could've used to improve the hockey club but because the media is more intense here you're just going to avoid it completely? Nah that's not right. If Burke is worried about how the team performs during this time of year than he has the wrong group of players. I get that this is a nervous time but during the game you shouldn't be thinking about being dealt but on the game itself. Totally disagree with that proposal.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:43 AM
KuleminFan41

^here

Old
02-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:44 AM
SprDaVE

Even Burke doesn't think it would work.

So no. It's not realistic.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:45 AM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
No I don't agree with it, you're taking away 7 days where you could've used to improve the hockey club but because the media is more intense here you're just going to avoid it completely? Nah that's not right. If Burke is worried about how the team performs during this time of year than he has the wrong group of players. I get that this is a nervous time but during the game you shouldn't be thinking about being dealt but on the game itself. Totally disagree with that proposal.
You don't need 1 day to improve your hockey club. People put too much stock on the trade deadline. If you can land idk Malkin for a 7th rounder in January and not make a deal on the deadline..does that mean Burke failed? Obviously that deal wouldn't happen but you get the idea. You don't need a trade on the deadline to improve your team.You can easily do it before.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I could see Nonis and Dudly pissing themselves laughing that Burke actually had the balls to say such a idiotic statement .
I could see some potential future players seeing how much more Burke cares about his players than other GM's who call out their player afterwards or trades players with no warning.

Some players who may be weary of playing here because of the media may look at this as a great thing.

I think it is a crazy idea but even just the media ttention it is getting makes Burke look good in players eyes!

Old
02-28-2012, 08:47 AM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

I'm not sure how all of you missed Burke's intentions behind that speech. He was criticizing the pressure the media puts on this team. He himself mentioned that he wouldn't want to hurt the teams chances by putting in a deadline.

You guys are too anal.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

I see what he's saying, but no.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote