HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you hate the Trap?

Old
02-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Edgeworth*

vCash: 500
Do you hate the Trap?

Blogesalming brought this up when tweeting about the Pat Burns era and the 1-0/2-1 type games and how Burke said Toronto fans hate boring games and want wide-open hockey.

Honestly I love the trap but I also bandwagon players like Weiss, Zajac, etc. but as a Leafs fan would you be upset if a LeMaire, a Yeo, a Julien, a Poile took over this team and made it a defense-first type team?

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:07 AM
number72

Leafs don't have the players to trap - they must play run and gun.
But I think we would prefer to win then being bored.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Ash35

I hate the trap but If it means winning. I'm in.

Ash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:11 AM
TrueBlue86

burke is so clueless about what this city wants it's not even funny

his assessment of the team is pretty much a joke every single year
he is very very clueless every time he opens his trap

one more year without playoffs and i can't wait till they fire his loud ass too

we have no had a winning team in almost a decade and he talks about 'excitement'
wtf man? thanks burke for last night's game, i was very entertained by the 5 goals against

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Dayjobdave

You can't trap when your goalie can't stop the puck.

Basically you're playing 5 on 5 like you're on the PK.

Not a good idea right now.

The Leafs' best asset is their speed.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Edgeworth*

Trap insulates goaltenders. Makes it so they get easier shots or shots are blocked...but I could see Leafs speed helping in the trap. Makes the transition to offense that much easier.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Blogesalming brought this up when tweeting about the Pat Burns era and the 1-0/2-1 type games and how Burke said Toronto fans hate boring games and want wide-open hockey.

Honestly I love the trap but I also bandwagon players like Weiss, Zajac, etc. but as a Leafs fan would you be upset if a LeMaire, a Yeo, a Julien, a Poile took over this team and made it a defense-first type team?
The Pat Burns era brought the Leafs closest to the Cup since 1967.

"Defense wins Championships" and if you can't play strong defense your odds of success are very slim, unless you're similar to the Oilers of the 1980's dynasty teams.

If Burke believes Leaf Nation fans are enjoying this losing, offense first system because we are more entertained, then he is only fooling himself into believing that nonsense. Fans want winning hockey, as the excitement & enjoyment factor is a huge part of success not failure.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:38 AM
mooseOAK*

Try to watch some Phoenix Coyotes games before making up your minds. If you can restrain yourself from switching to American idol then you are okay with the trap.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Captain Clutch 13

Im not sure why people think the only 2 options are run and gun and trap. A healthy in between style is what many teams use. Vancouver, Detroit, Boston, Pittsburgh all have a fast transition game, are strong and smart defensively and can forecheck, cycle and rush the puck. Being dynamic and being good at several strategies allow you to match up against other teams weaknesses effectively. I dont see why we have to be a pure run and gun or pure trap team.

Captain Clutch 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:39 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

yes. easier if you made a poll.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Thomas Malthus
The Dismal Team

I enjoy tight checking, strong defensive games. To me that type of system highlights hockey as a team sport and knowing the next goal could win the game is also exciting. I think the structure calls for precision passing and perfect positioning which makes me appreciate the effort going into practice more than this pond hockey we see now.

Thomas Malthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Try to watch some Phoenix Coyotes games before making up your minds. If you can restrain yourself from switching to American idol then you are okay with the trap.
For your information, Phoenix Coyotes went 11-0-1 in the month of February. They're the hottest team in the NHL and their only blemish the entire month came when they lost in the shootout to Vancouver, while gaining 23 of a possible 24 points under Dave Tippett's defensive system.

Hard to believe anyone would believe 11-0-1 month would be hard to swallow.

While the exciting Leafs team have beaten only the 29th place Oilers, needing OT to boot to accomplish their 1 win in the last 10 record.

You're right, Phoenix fans must be hating ever minute of that pesky winning, while Leaf fans are overjoyed with their exciting losses game after game.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Boom King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
You can't trap when your goalie can't stop the puck.
Well when you're goalies are struggling, you can't do much to be honest. You shouldn't be doing run and gun either. Usually a run and gun style requires you to have a confident tender back in your net. We don't have to be a pure trap team like Tampa Bay was when their defence and goalies were struggling but I think a system incorporating more defence and support is definitely needed.

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Playing the trap means you have to actually play defence which clearly is not this teams forte.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:50 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

It's hard enough to dump tickets now, can't imagine how tough it would be if they trapped.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
bobbyflex

i hate the style we currently play. Defense pinching on every single play. Odd man rushes every 5 minutes. What goalie would want to play in this system?

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Well when you're goalies are struggling, you can't do much to be honest. You shouldn't be doing run and gun either. Usually a run and gun style requires you to have a confident tender back in your net. We don't have to be a pure trap team like Tampa Bay was when their defence and goalies were struggling but I think a system incorporating more defence and support is definitely needed.
There's actually a lot of defense and support in the current system, they just don't play it.

A ton of what is not working is actually on the forwards right now not backing the d when they press.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
For your information, Phoenix Coyotes went 11-0-1 in the month of February. They're the hottest team in the NHL and their only blemish the entire month came when they lost in the shootout to Vancouver, while gaining 23 of a possible 24 points under Dave Tippett's defensive system.

Hard to believe anyone would believe 11-0-1 month would be hard to swallow.

While the exciting Leafs team have beaten only the 29th place Oilers, needing OT to boot to accomplish their 1 win in the last 10 record.

You're right, Phoenix fans must be hating ever minute of that pesky winning, while Leaf fans are overjoyed with their exciting losses game after game.
couldn't have said it better myself

the propaganda burke shoves down our throat is sickening

like i said, i would be happy to never hear again from him or his philosophies on hockey, and just see a winning product

never seen a guy who can talk such a big game and never back it up

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Nothing is more entertaining then wins. Take that as you will

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:56 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
For your information, Phoenix Coyotes went 11-0-1 in the month of February. They're the hottest team in the NHL and their only blemish the entire month came when they lost in the shootout to Vancouver, while gaining 23 of a possible 24 points under Dave Tippett's defensive system. .

So "play the kids" isn't a priority any more. Phoenix abandoned that strategy because their franchise was in trouble and switched to veterans playing the trap instead of following the path that you have preached since I can't remember when.

I love irony, and Phoenix getting bounced in the first round again.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:58 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Why can't we have a run and gun with a trap thrown in there?

go for it, go up one or two and settle back to choking the opposition's offense.

I swear, I've seen our D-men pinching in games we were up 2-1, 3-1. If that's not absolutely stupid beyond recognition, i don't know what is.

But if it were a choice between run and gun and a trap defensive system. I'm going Defence 100% of the time.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Boom King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
There's actually a lot of defense and support in the current system, they just don't play it.

A ton of what is not working is actually on the forwards right now not backing the d when they press.
I understand what you're saying. I guess what I was getting at is how long do you keep going with a system that players aren't executing before you say we need to tweak a few things? Some of the issues I see as well are our forwards jumping/cheating out of our zone too quickly and leaving our D with fewer options.

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
So "play the kids" isn't a priority any more. Phoenix abandoned that strategy because their franchise was in trouble and switched to veterans playing the trap instead of following the path that you have preached since I can't remember when.

I love irony, and Phoenix getting bounced in the first round again.
I just hope you're in the minority of Leafs fans that believe 11-0-1 is bad and unwatchable, and 1-8-1 past 10 has Leaf fans jumping out of their seats with excitement.

The bizarro World is where winning in bad and losing is good, because the losing team is believed to be more entertaining to watch.

Never thought I'd see the day where an undefeated month by an NHL team would need defending.

Its a free World, so to each their own I suppose, whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by Mess: 02-29-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old
02-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Egghead1999

Trap comes in many forms, Red Wings plays trap; Coyotes plays trap; Wild plays trap. Team needs a defensive system, not run and gun in the whole 60 mins.

Egghead1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:08 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I just hope you're in the minority of Leafs fans that believe 11-0-1 is bad and unwatchable, and 1-8-1 past 10 has Leaf fans jumping out of their seats with excitement.

The bizarro World is where winning in bad and losing is good, because the losing team is believed to be more entertaining to watch.

Its a free World, so to each their own I suppose, whatever floats your boat.
It is a free world so I encourage everyone here to watch as many Coyotes games as they can stand and make up their own minds.