OHL Cup.

Old
03-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
Not personally attacking him (or trying to), but what he did was just plain wrong.
As Arsenault said, it was probably to calm his team down, especially considering they had suspensions earlier.

Ken Strong has been one of the best coaches in Minor Midget hockey for several years. He's very well respected and hardly 'classless', IMO.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:21 PM
doogie24

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot70 View Post
They took the Rebels to the last second and the 67's needed to come back to win in OT. Not bad for a bunch of put togethers with a short bench.
Oh I agree they played the 67s very tight, and had them on the ropes. Not taking anything away from those guys, It was impressive.

I was moreso trying to convey that if the OHL cup is going to host a group of selects, why not make it a group filled with at least 90% of players who will report to the OHL? Assuming at least a handful of those USA select team rosters won't ever play in the OHL, so why even invite them?

Congrats to the Rebels, what a feeling to knock off your archrival when it mattered most.

Quote:
Tournament MVP honours were awarded to the Marlies’ Connor McDavid who had an assist in this contest to bring his point total to 19 in seven games scoring 11 goals with eight helpers. He wins the Tim Adams Memorial Trophy with the highest point total since Marlies’ grad and former tournament MVP Sam Gagner had 17 points in five games in the 2005 event.
Can't wait to see this guy progress over the years.

doogie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Arsenault

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
Oh I agree they played the 67s very tight, and had them on the ropes. Not taking anything away from those guys, It was impressive.

I was moreso trying to convey that if the OHL cup is going to host a group of selects, why not make it a group filled with at least 90% of players who will report to the OHL? Assuming at least a handful of those USA select team rosters won't ever play in the OHL, so why even invite them?

Congrats to the Rebels, what a feeling to knock off your archrival when it mattered most.

Can't wait to see this guy progress over the years.
My final thoughts on this Tournament

I was watching the games this week, and I could not help but to wonder what if the tournament organizer decided in favor of the option proposed earlier last week to this forum, and have the players from teams which did not qualify from the Ottawa Region added to the Northern All Star team and another All Start Team of players from teams that did not qualify from the Alliance and OMHA. You looked at the Rebels and Marlies yesterday, two All -Start teams made up of players from all regions really, in a class of their own. Why not introduce at little more competition, seems rediculous that year in and year out the same 2-3 programs end up in the finals (Interestingly always GTHL teams).

Another option, which was utilized back in my days playing hockey was that conference champions and finalist from smaller centres , could add up to 4 players on their roster from non-qualifying teams for Provincial Championships, just to level the playing feild. Another idea worth exploring. All in an attempt to improve the level of hockey and inturn the level of competition. Just think how much better some of the teams or players would have stood out if all of a sudden 3-4 players of high caliber are added to their roster.

Eitherway, it would introduce more competition,and not make this event an Annual GTHL final (actually referring to this as a GTHL final is misleading as these two teams are not a fair representation of the typical hockey being played by most GTHL teams). Also it would give the OHL a wider look at all talent distributed throughout Ontario and not just turn into a love fest for 2-3 teams.

Everybody, have a great summer, enjoyed many of your contributions. Still wondering what happened to "Tiger" during this tournament. You seem to have disappear, missed your insight.

Arsenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:31 AM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
My final thoughts on this Tournament

I was watching the games this week, and I could not help but to wonder what if the tournament organizer decided in favor of the option proposed earlier last week to this forum, and have the players from teams which did not qualify from the Ottawa Region added to the Northern All Star team and another All Start Team of players from teams that did not qualify from the Alliance and OMHA. You looked at the Rebels and Marlies yesterday, two All -Start teams made up of players from all regions really, in a class of their own. Why not introduce at little more competition, seems rediculous that year in and year out the same 2-3 programs end up in the finals (Interestingly always GTHL teams).

Another option, which was utilized back in my days playing hockey was that conference champions and finalist from smaller centres , could add up to 4 players on their roster from non-qualifying teams for Provincial Championships, just to level the playing feild. Another idea worth exploring. All in an attempt to improve the level of hockey and inturn the level of competition. Just think how much better some of the teams or players would have stood out if all of a sudden 3-4 players of high caliber are added to their roster.

Eitherway, it would introduce more competition,and not make this event an Annual GTHL final (actually referring to this as a GTHL final is misleading as these two teams are not a fair representation of the typical hockey being played by most GTHL teams). Also it would give the OHL a wider look at all talent distributed throughout Ontario and not just turn into a love fest for 2-3 teams.

Everybody, have a great summer, enjoyed many of your contributions. Still wondering what happened to "Tiger" during this tournament. You seem to have disappear, missed your insight.
I think the biggest concern with adding players to a team is that you forget about the players playing on the last forward line, or last defensive pairing. While they may not have the OHL draft status of some of the players you'd bring in, this is a tournament where the champions and runners up of each league get together. It's unfair to those players that worked hard just like the rest of their teammates, then are told at OHL Cup time that sorry, they have to sit and watch some kid from an opposing team take their spot.

If they want to alter it they need to do it one way or the other. Either make an all-prospect team, or leave the teams alone and allow them to do what they've always done.

Instead I'd like to see them make the U16 tournament they had in Kitchener last year in preparation for the Canada Winter Games a yearly event. This saw an all-prospects team from each group (Alliance, GTHL, OMHA, Ottawa, HNO, NOHA) and they played in a tournament. It was an excellent few days for scouting and getting to know the top players for that draft class. I know they've talked about bringing it back as a yearly event, there was even a rumor it would happen in Ottawa this year, so I'm hoping they are able to put it together.

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote