HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Once We're Healthy

Old
02-28-2012, 10:43 PM
LBlues26

vCash: 500
Once We're Healthy

Once Steen, Langenbrunner and D'agostini (hopefully) are all back in the lineup, who sits? I really don't want to see Reaves and Crombeen on the bench in the playoffs but are they the odd men out? We can't sit a guy like Sobotka or Nichol

LBlues26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 50
Sadly I wouldn't worry about it happening

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:25 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Langenbrunner will be back, but IMO best case scenario is that we get 1 of Steen and D'Agostini back. I seriously doubt that we have a full healthy lineup in the playoffs.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

I've just assumed we're not getting with Steen or D'Ags back.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

I almost don't believe that "once were healthy" is possible.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:32 AM
LBlues26

i think you might be right! Steen has been skating and rumoured to have been back a while ago but that ship has sailed. Even if we do get Langenbrunner and let's say only Steen back, that still only leaves room for one of Crombeen/Reaves.

LBlues26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:39 AM
inglouriousbackes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I've just assumed we're not getting with Steen or D'Ags back.

this is what my conclusion is for the year. If we can get them back in shape, it will be a bonus. They will be really rusty if their first game back if it hits playoff time, so i don't know if it would be worth it if they came out.

inglouriousbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:32 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglouriousbackes View Post
this is what my conclusion is for the year. If we can get them back in shape, it will be a bonus. They will be really rusty if their first game back if it hits playoff time, so i don't know if it would be worth it if they came out.
Both would only have to be 3rd liners. If they are healthy, it will be worth it with them on the ice.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:06 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
It would have been nice to see a fully healthy forward line-up...just to see what Hitch did with them. But I don't think its a possibility at this time.

Losing Steen has been a really big hit for the team. If he DOES come back, its going to be like Christmas for the roster, but I don't expect him to factor into this post-season.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:13 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
It would have been nice to see a fully healthy forward line-up...just to see what Hitch did with them. But I don't think its a possibility at this time.

Losing Steen has been a really big hit for the team. If he DOES come back, its going to be like Christmas for the roster, but I don't expect him to factor into this post-season.
I'm still hopeful on Steen. He's got the whole month of March to get ready for the playoffs.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

If Steen is having vision problems and heading to the hyperbaric chamber, I seriously doubt he's back in the next 6 weeks.

That being said....

Alex Steen played his last game on December 27 against the Red Wings. Following that game the Blues record was 21-10-4. We currently sit at 39-17-7.

That is a record of 18-7-3. The lack of Alex Steen is not keeping us from winning. Would he help? Absolutely, but his absence isn't going to keep us from winning in the playoffs, just as his being there wouldn't automatically mean we would win.

If Berglund/Stewart can improve their play (and to be fair Berglund really has turned it on as of late) this team will be just fine, even without Steen/D'Agostini

Last edited by Dolph Ziggler: 02-29-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old
02-29-2012, 12:00 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
If Steen is having vision problems and heading to the hyperbaric chamber, I seriously doubt he's back in the next 6 weeks.

That being said....

Alex Steen played his last game on December 27 against the Red Wings. Following that game the Blues record was 21-10-4. We currently sit at 39-17-7.

That is a record of 18-7-3. The lack of Alex Steen is not keeping us from winning. Would he help? Absolutely, but his absence isn't going to keep us from winning in the playoffs, just as his being there wouldn't automatically mean we would win.

If Berglund/Stewart can improve their play (and to be fair Berglund really has turned it on as of late) this team will be just fine, even without Steen/D'Agostini
You remember that Steen was playing on the top line with Oshie and Backes, right? He's talented enough to be a top line player for the Blues, but also rounded enough that he can plan on the 3rd line and PP/PK effectively. More guys are going to get banged up day to day. Steen has at least played in the playoffs before, too. If he came back, it would help the Blues more than any of the hypothetical deadline trade proposals people were throwing around.

The fact the Blues have continued winning is heartening, but I think most of us watching the games realize they haven't been winning in as dominant fashion as they were a couple months ago. To me, that's simply a reflection of having taken so many injuries as a club.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
You remember that Steen was playing on the top line with Oshie and Backes, right? He's talented enough to be a top line player for the Blues, but also rounded enough that he can plan on the 3rd line and PP/PK effectively. More guys are going to get banged up day to day. Steen has at least played in the playoffs before, too. If he came back, it would help the Blues more than any of the hypothetical deadline trade proposals people were throwing around.

The fact the Blues have continued winning is heartening, but I think most of us watching the games realize they haven't been winning in as dominant fashion as they were a couple months ago. To me, that's simply a reflection of having taken so many injuries as a club.
Agreed. And the SOB line was pretty impressive. However the biggest reason he was playing there was because Andy McDonald/David Perron were out. You can't tell me he's still a top 6 LW with Andy Mac and Perron back.

I'm not trying to discount his importance as he's a very solid two way player who is one of the leaders on this team. His return would really add to the team (especially if we play Vancouver. Guy murders them )

I just don't agree with the feeling I get from some Blues fans that the Blues can't win in the playoffs because we don't have Alex Steen. It's a long season and February is the "dog days" of the NHL season. There are going to be games that we are going to have to grind it out.

The NHL had an adjustment period to the Blues I think and people started to figure out ways to beat the team so the team doesn't look as dominant perhaps.

Since the All Star break, the Blues are 10-4. They've played 7 of those games against teams that are currently playoff bound (San Jose, Boston, Nashville x2, Chicago, Ottawa, New Jersey) and 3 more against desperate teams trying to get in (LA, Colorado, Winnipeg).

48 hours from now, the Blues could be 1st in the Western Conference and 1st in the NHL (yes the Rangers would have better point % but you get my point).

Are the Blues Stanley Cup favorites? No
Are the Blues Stanley Cup contenders? Yes

Are the Blues + Alex Steen Stanley Cup favorites? No
Are the Blues + Alex Steen Stanley Cup contenders? Yes

It would be a huge bonus if we could get him back, but he's not a make or break guy, one way or the other.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:22 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said Falco....and I expect the Blues to go into the playoffs thinking they can win the Cup. I just like their chances better if they have all their guys. If I could only get one back, it would be Steen.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said Falco....and I expect the Blues to go into the playoffs thinking they can win the Cup. I just like their chances better if they have all their guys. If I could only get one back, it would be Steen.
He's certainly the best on IR right now I would say.

Maybe we get lucky and get multiple back. Sounds we should have Langs for sure

Old
02-29-2012, 04:34 PM
CalgaryBlue

vCash: 1938
What is Russell's status. I have not heard if this is a major concussion or if he should be skating again soon.

CalgaryBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:16 AM
stlweir

AMac-Backes-Dags
Steen-Berglund-Oshie
Perron-Arnott-Stewart
Checking line

Hope to see it near the end of the season.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

It's getting really depressing that EVERY year we have to constantly play the what if card. It would be great to get everyone back, but at this point we have to win with the team on the ice and anyone who does come back should be counted as a bonus at this point.

Have the Blues ever iced their opening day roster since the lockout? Man it's frustrating

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:19 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
It's getting really depressing that EVERY year we have to constantly play the what if card. It would be great to get everyone back, but at this point we have to win with the team on the ice and anyone who does come back should be counted as a bonus at this point.

Have the Blues ever iced their opening day roster since the lockout? Man it's frustrating
Do any teams? Maybe I've just gotten so accustomed to is I think its the norm for all NHL clubs.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

I would do unspeakable things if it meant Steen would be back and healthy for the playoffs. Unspeakable things.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

Quote:
Do any teams? Maybe I've just gotten so accustomed to is I think its the norm for all NHL clubs.
I totally agree, it would be a cold day in hell that all teams actually iced their opening day rosters. But the games would probably be more "exciting", as in, there would be higher scoring games.

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
execwrite

JR tweeted today that Langenbrunner skated and Russell and D'Agostini rode the bike.

Good signs.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Chicago Blues

I almost thought this thread was going to be a humorous "Chuck Norris" style thread, like "once we're healthy" the Blues won't have to worry about road games against the central since a healthy Blues team exists everywhere at all times basking in omnipotence.

Chicago Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:43 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
JR tweeted today that Langenbrunner skated and Russell and D'Agostini rode the bike.

Good signs.
Good news on Langenbrunner, but I wouldn't put much stock into Russell and D'Agostini riding the bike.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:27 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacheesh View Post
I would do unspeakable things if it meant Steen would be back and healthy for the playoffs. Unspeakable things.
hahahaha touche

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote