HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who thinks we'll still get Kovy?

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2004, 04:48 PM
KOVALEV10*

vCash: 500
Who thinks we'll still get Kovy?

Does anybody think that we will still get Kovalev whenever hockey resumes? And would you want him back or not and why?

Old
11-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Does anybody think that we will still get Kovalev whenever hockey resumes? And would you want him back or not and why?
I would like to see him in a Habs uniform for sure but I wouldn't cry if he sign anywhere else. Next year, we will have many decent prospects who will be ready for the NHL so the "lost" of Kovy wouldn't hurt the team as much as if he would have played right now(and if the NHL weren't in lockout)

Old
11-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
I would like to see him in a Habs uniform for sure but I wouldn't cry if he sign anywhere else. Next year, we will have many decent prospects who will be ready for the NHL so the "lost" of Kovy wouldn't hurt the team as much as if he would have played right now(and if the NHL weren't in lockout)
Amen

Old
11-05-2004, 05:24 PM
RaTcine

I still think he will sign with us.

Old
11-05-2004, 05:26 PM
tinyzombies

If the NHL does not back down, I wouldn't be surprised to get Kovy at OUR price. He'd be surrounded by young playmaking talent, an elite goaltender, and perhaps a salary cap that would let the Canadiens join the elite teams and stay there (especially with Gainey at the helm).

That would be more attractive to Kovy than joining an elite team in decline that will have to face the task adjusting to a cap.

I think the NHL will win and therefore the Canadiens will reap the benefits.

Old
11-05-2004, 06:03 PM
EaGLE1

If we lost the entire season, i don't think we will sign Kovalev...he'll be too old.

Old
11-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Preds

Houston Aeros will take him.

Old
11-05-2004, 07:32 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I think that Kovy will be kicking himself in the Arse for not signing with us already. I honestly cannot see him getting an offer as high as the one offered by the Habs from anyone else, especially if this entire year is missed. I'd like to have him on our team, but at a lower salary than we offered.

Old
11-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
If we lost the entire season, i don't think we will sign Kovalev...he'll be too old.
I dont think kovalev would be too old.... I think he's 31 or 32 now

Kovalev isn't a power forward who takes a lot of abuse..... he's a smooth, graceful player who lays out the occasional big hit. He keeps himself in pretty good condition so I think he's still got another very good 3 or 4 years.... and maybe even 5 years.

This is not a case of Cam Neely or anything

Old
11-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Poochie_D

for the good of all montreal, i hope we sign him. realistically? if theres no hockey this season forget about kovalev unless he excepts a 2 year contract starting next season ( or maybe even a 1 year with our option)

Old
11-06-2004, 05:47 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett

Kovalev isn't a power forward who takes a lot of abuse..... he's a smooth, graceful player who lays out the occasional big hit. He keeps himself in pretty good condition so I think he's still got another very good 3 or 4 years.... and maybe even 5 years.

This is not a case of Cam Neely or anything
Yeah, he will still be productive...i agree.

But what we look for is a Kovalev in his prime.

at 32-33 he could still be usefull but i think the management will prefer using some nice young talent like Perezhogin, Kost or Higgins...

Old
11-06-2004, 06:17 PM
oli500

Only if he signs for 3,5$. If he wants more than that forget it. Hes a tremoundes player but if there is a cap those type of players have got to realise there not wroth 5million$. And besides we got enough talent in our farm system to replace him.

Old
11-06-2004, 06:17 PM
caper13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
well then the laffs should scoff him up but maybe he is to young and maybe there is no walkers or weelchairs left.. :lol

Old
11-07-2004, 05:14 AM
katodelder

will anyone over thirty be back in the brave new nhl?

Old
11-07-2004, 07:46 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

If we don't have hockey for another 18 months, guys like Perezhogin, Kastisyn and Higgins will likely be as ready as they ever will be to take spots on the big team, so Gainey may not feel the need to sign an elite 1st line winger type and may instead choose to upgrade elsewhere.

Old
11-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
E-mail the mods so they change your name

Old
11-07-2004, 11:57 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper13
well then the laffs should scoff him up but maybe he is to young and maybe there is no walkers or weelchairs left.. :lol
I don't know what is lamer, that you are making such a tired, tired joke about the age of the Maple Leafs or that you think it's so witty and funny that you have the banana dancing and the smiley face slapping the floor.

Old
11-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
I don't know what is lamer, that you are making such a tired, tired joke about the age of the Maple Leafs or that you think it's so witty and funny that you have the banana dancing and the smiley face slapping the floor.

Bad sunday ehh........

Old
11-08-2004, 12:33 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
For that, I love you.

And no, I don't think Kovalev ends up in Montreal, personally I don't think he's the kind of player you guys need to sign to a long-term contract. Especially not if you have Plekanec, Ribeiro, Bonk, Koivu, Perezhogin, etc... as 3 of the top 6 forwards in 2 years. I think Glen Murray would fit in nicely. He has size and shoots a lot, I think he'd help Michael Ryder a lot, they seem to be similar players.

Old
11-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Corey

IMO losing a whole season could affect Gainey's thinking about signing Kovalev but it would not rule it out. As for the Maple Leafs, defending them against ridicule doesn't make them any younger than they really are. Face it, all athletes have to retire someday. One year of inactivity brings them one year closer to retirement. On the other hand, one more year in the minors brings that bumper crop of talented Habs prospects closer to NHL readiness.

Last edited by Corey: 11-08-2004 at 01:37 PM.
Old
11-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
If we don't have hockey for another 18 months, guys like Perezhogin, Kastisyn and Higgins will likely be as ready as they ever will be to take spots on the big team, so Gainey may not feel the need to sign an elite 1st line winger type and may instead choose to upgrade elsewhere.
I believe that is the reason Gainey didn't pursue Kovalev harder than he did. With the startup of NHL hockey up in the air, why commit to a player like Kovalev?

Old
11-08-2004, 04:06 PM
babyhabs23

I think Ryder or Kovy will be signed, but not both. Something tells me that Bob may not want to sign both.

Old
11-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett

Hey my knees are banged up pretty bad and I'm 17... You never know what may be wrong with him

Closed Thread