HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brady: A major rift between Phaneuf and a younger player.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-29-2012, 08:26 PM
  #276
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
yes, i'd say so.
and just like that he stopped being a good leader?

want to make sure I have this right

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
  #277
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
yeah, "assigned" might be a better word. i assume most nhl captains do willingly take on the leadership responsibility though, and embrace it and try to do their best with it. maybe that's naive on my part.

i've been around a couple of hockey teams. never been around any military.

do you have a point?
Why yes. Often times it isn't the appointed leader the unit looks to to lead them through. Being the figurehead does not equate to being the leader. Sometimes it works out that way, sometimes it doesn't. Assuming one is a good leader because they won - regardless of whether anyone followed them - is silly.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:40 PM
  #278
bberard34
Registered User
 
bberard34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post
I would say Schenn or Gardiner.
Schenn has publicly stated Dion has helped him a lot. **** I hate this city sometimes.

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:04 PM
  #279
JamieG
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 871
vCash: 500
It's Schenn definitely.

Dion needs to do it old-school, aka like Bieksa -- invite Luke to step outside the bar and knock him out cold.

The team needs some inner fight and for the Captain to stand up and assert himself by knocking the guys who aren't on board out.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:27 AM
  #280
diceman934
LINT must go!
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 8,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
It's Schenn definitely.

Dion needs to do it old-school, aka like Bieksa -- invite Luke to step outside the bar and knock him out cold.

The team needs some inner fight and for the Captain to stand up and assert himself by knocking the guys who aren't on board out.
First of all it was not Likely Schenn but if it was Phaneuf would have deserved it and if they went out side Phaneauf hitting Schenn with his pouch of chew would not have much affect...Schenn would kick his ass!

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:51 AM
  #281
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Official team captaincy has an overrated impact on professional sports teams. Unless the GM is willing to deal the team mates the captain doesn't like. Football, baseball and basketball get away without captains for the most part.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:54 AM
  #282
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
and just like that he stopped being a good leader?

want to make sure I have this right
i think you have it right.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:59 AM
  #283
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Why yes. Often times it isn't the appointed leader the unit looks to to lead them through. Being the figurehead does not equate to being the leader. Sometimes it works out that way, sometimes it doesn't. Assuming one is a good leader because they won - regardless of whether anyone followed them - is silly.
i disagree totally. his job is to lead the team to wins.

perhaps you're right, maybe phaneuf is simply a figurehead and isn't part of the true leadership of this team. but for conversation purposes, i think we have to assume the captain of any nhl team is part of that team's leadership group, and in fact is the ultimate leader.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:00 AM
  #284
ldnk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
Official team captaincy has an overrated impact on professional sports teams. Unless the GM is willing to deal the team mates the captain doesn't like. Football, baseball and basketball get away without captains for the most part.
They don't talk about it as much in the media, no, but football most certainly does have captains. There is usually an offensive and defensive captain who is in charge of getting the team charged up and doing a bunch of scouting/advice related work.

The NBA and MLB are very individualized sports where individual players have a much greater impact on the game.

ldnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:28 AM
  #285
hockeyfanz*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
If Dion was in line for all the ball-stroking he got earlier in the year when the Leafs resembled a competent hockey team....then why should he get a free pass when the team goes down the toilet.

Is it any wonder why the team has been losers for so long? The apathy in this town is unbelievable. It is pretty evident by the fans acceptance of mediocrity. I think that was the term that was meant when Burke/Wilson imposed "meritocracy"...they really meant "mediocrity".

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:06 AM
  #286
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,056
vCash: 500
For the first time here, I have had a change of heart on Dion. I think the Leafs will be better served spending 6.5 on another D man. Everyone knows Sutter and Weber are free agents this year, I would rather take a run at one of them. Schenn and Weber are good friends and Weber was a mentor for Luke. Sutter and Kessel are good friends, maybe it's time to cut ties with Dion if we can get a good offer for him or package him to another team. He's had a good season and there is value there for a D man like him.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:31 PM
  #287
CoolBlue*
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
delete


Last edited by CoolBlue*: 03-01-2012 at 01:44 PM.
CoolBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:43 PM
  #288
CoolBlue*
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
greg brady is a troll. i doubt he has any inside sources with the leafs. he just likes riling up leafs nation
Greg Brady is a Detroit Red Wing troll who loves to stir the pot with Leafs fans. I'd put the whiny un-listenable Brady in the same Leaf basher category as Simmons & Cox. So i wouldn't put much into anything Brady has to say about the Leafs. All teams have players that argue from time to time it's a long season.

Brady also likes to troll the internet for attention...

http://www.thepensblog.com/tpb/nov20...impressed.html

Quote:
Someone who has learned this method of trolling for attention is Greg Brady of Rogers Sportsnet and the Fan 590 in Toronto. You may remember Brady as one of the people who were upset that Sidney Crosby didn't mention the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl during his press conference in September. If you spend ten minutes looking at his Twitter feed, you'll see that he likes to take shots at Sidney Crosby often. Of course, anyone who follows the NHL is used to people taking shots at Sidney Crosby for everything he does. We're fine with that. As we said, he's a polarizing figure so we can understand why someone would criticize him. We're not upset with Greg Brady for criticizing Sidney Crosby. We're just drawing attention to the fact that he's a huge troll who probably doesn't actually believe half of the things he's saying.

CoolBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:51 PM
  #289
jimmycarter
Registered User
 
jimmycarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,949
vCash: 500
i remember there was a FAN590 thread here RIPPING brady.

he went on air the next day mad about it and condemned several other HF threads.

the only person who thinks greg brady is funny, is greg brady.

i thought marcia was the attention *****...?

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:05 PM
  #290
hockeyfanz*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycarter View Post
i remember there was a FAN590 thread here RIPPING brady.

he went on air the next day mad about it and condemned several other HF threads.

the only person who thinks greg brady is funny, is greg brady.

i thought marcia was the attention *****...?
Hahahaha....Greg Brady.....How the FKCU did this guy get the morning host job on the FAN in the biggest market in Canada?

Unbelievable..

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:15 PM
  #291
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,689
vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmoney67 View Post
Schenn has publicly stated Dion has helped him a lot.
I guess that explains why Schenn can't ever get a shot through or play defense anymore

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:17 PM
  #292
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)
 
blue82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
so what is this rift brady speaks of?

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:19 PM
  #293
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81inblueandwhite View Post
so what is this rift brady speaks of?
12 pages later and still no one knows, don't need facts messing things up when Phaneuf is being trashed.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:21 PM
  #294
vezna*
Canada's Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81inblueandwhite View Post
so what is this rift brady speaks of?
based on ZERO facts, people have concluded it's schenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlue View Post
Greg Brady is a Detroit Red Wing troll who loves to stir the pot with Leafs fans. I'd put the whiny un-listenable Brady in the same Leaf basher category as Simmons & Cox. So i wouldn't put much into anything Brady has to say about the Leafs. All teams have players that argue from time to time it's a long season.

Brady also likes to troll the internet for attention...

http://www.thepensblog.com/tpb/nov20...impressed.html
he does tweet a lot of stupid things.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:10 PM
  #295
CoolBlue*
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Isn't Brady a Habs fan? The guy has a clear hatred for everything Leafs...
Brady is a Detroit nutswinger was hoping that one day soon he would go back there but he has already been fired from some radio gig there. Can someone explain the logic behind Sportsnet putting 2 notorious Leaf haters on Toronto's FAN590 radio station in Damian Cox & Greg Brady? They just like to rag on the Leafs? The day the FAN590 gets 2 new morning show hosts is the day i might start listening again.

CoolBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:33 PM
  #296
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
i disagree totally. his job is to lead the team to wins.

perhaps you're right, maybe phaneuf is simply a figurehead and isn't part of the true leadership of this team. but for conversation purposes, i think we have to assume the captain of any nhl team is part of that team's leadership group, and in fact is the ultimate leader.
I didn't say that WASN'T the captain's job. I said assuming that people are following a person simply because they have the title of Captain is foolish. You're trying to pretend that simply having the title means you are a leader. It doesn't.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:38 PM
  #297
Newbi
Registered User
 
Newbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 817
vCash: 500
well Ron is only 56 yrs young

Newbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:05 AM
  #298
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,823
vCash: 500
This team is in chaos. It's actually going down in flames.

Somewhere in Sarnia Galchenyuk smirks

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:10 AM
  #299
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
I didn't say that WASN'T the captain's job. I said assuming that people are following a person simply because they have the title of Captain is foolish. You're trying to pretend that simply having the title means you are a leader. It doesn't.
you might be right, maybe he's an absolutely terrible leader.

i doubt he's as bad as you suggest, but he doesn't strike me as a great leader either.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:51 AM
  #300
hullsy47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlue View Post
Brady is a Detroit nutswinger was hoping that one day soon he would go back there but he has already been fired from some radio gig there. Can someone explain the logic behind Sportsnet putting 2 notorious Leaf haters on Toronto's FAN590 radio station in Damian Cox & Greg Brady? They just like to rag on the Leafs? The day the FAN590 gets 2 new morning show hosts is the day i might start listening again.
not everybody is gonna sugar coat the leafs .....i live in the detroit market ......u dont win u are asked to leave
i dont think anyone hates the leafs ,,,,but when burke starts spewing self imposed deadlines and pressure and extending coaches that suck ya they say their mind
burke has been average here at best ..lets rank the gms in the same time spand and doest burke rank no 1?doubt it .......young gm's are doing as good or better jobs assesing talent and assesing coaches that can relate
brady was ok in detroit ......they just dont talk hockey as much in detroit .....university sports get a ton of coverage .....and talk about coaches getting pole axed on talk shows

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.