HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brady: A major rift between Phaneuf and a younger player.

Old
03-02-2012, 07:55 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

vCash: 500
Well, looks like this "source" has accomplished exactly as set out...

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Pilky01

Phanuef seems like the absolute worst kind of person. A complete moron who is absolutely full of himself and is too stupid to realize his own faults. I wouldn't be surprised to find out there is a major "rift" between him and everybody he has ever met.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:21 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Phanuef seems like the absolute worst kind of person. A complete moron who is absolutely full of himself and is too stupid to realize his own faults. I wouldn't be surprised to find out there is a major "rift" between him and everybody he has ever met.
That's a bit over the top, but in some ways from what you wrote, I can understand why Burke and Wilson like him so much as Captain.

Phaneuf gets a lot of unfair heat. He is more of an offensive defender with decent but not exceptional defence. The team really needs a great shutdown defender to kill PK and shutdown the top forwards. That leaves Phaneuf with big minutes for the PP and against easier lines to generate offence.

Wilson is trying to make him into something he is not and he struggles.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Well, looks like this "source" has accomplished exactly as set out...
I bet the source is incarcerated loser

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
As opposed to the kind of person who randomly forms opinions on a person's character without likely ever having even been in the same room with them, let alone knowing them?

Yeah, Phaneuf is the WORST kind......

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:41 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
you might be right, maybe he's an absolutely terrible leader.

i doubt he's as bad as you suggest, but he doesn't strike me as a great leader either.
I never suggested anyone was a bad leader. I stated that assuming someone's leadership abilities based on an appointment is silly and even more silly is assuming because a team of 22 guys wins something, that the appointed leader is somehow elite at leading is also silly.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:02 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
And you just proved what kind of person you are by posting this.. Just brutal

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Hurt

Quote:
Is there something you know about Dion that is not common public knowledge? Or are you basing your opinion on 2 minute segments he does for the media before/after games?

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Kearsley21

its probably jake because hes the greatest hockey play to ever live on the face of the planet of the earth

Kearsley21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:56 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillingbroom View Post
Last time I checked the NHL game format didn't include a spelling bee or speech contest.
Woof!

Phaneuf just dodged a bullett.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
I never suggested anyone was a bad leader. I stated that assuming someone's leadership abilities based on an appointment is silly and even more silly is assuming because a team of 22 guys wins something, that the appointed leader is somehow elite at leading is also silly.
worse than suggesting he's a bad leader, you said there's a chance he's not a leader at all. that's the ultimate insult to phaneuf.

i don't think its silly at all to assume an nhl captain ought to be a leader on his team and ought to have good leadership abilities. i would trust nhl general managers, coaching staffs, and whoever else might be involved in choosing the captain to know what they're doing. we have to trust they have enough knowledge, insight, and experience not to hand the captaincy to someone who has no leadership ability or qualities.

in a sport where the object is to win, and its the leader's job to lead the team to wins, its not silly at all to use winning as a measurement of leadership. i don't think a team wins the cup without very good leadership.

you're arguing just for the sake of it. in attempting to defend and love dion phaneuf, you've actually given him the ultimate insult by saying he may not be leadership material at all. now that's silly.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
worse than suggesting he's a bad leader, you said there's a chance he's not a leader at all. that's the ultimate insult to phaneuf.

i don't think its silly at all to assume an nhl captain ought to be a leader on his team and ought to have good leadership abilities. i would trust nhl general managers, coaching staffs, and whoever else might be involved in choosing the captain to know what they're doing. we have to trust they have enough knowledge, insight, and experience not to hand the captaincy to someone who has no leadership ability or qualities.

in a sport where the object is to win, and its the leader's job to lead the team to wins, its not silly at all to use winning as a measurement of leadership. i don't think a team wins the cup without very good leadership.

you're arguing just for the sake of it. in attempting to defend and love dion phaneuf, you've actually given him the ultimate insult by saying he may not be leadership material at all. now that's silly.
give it up.

there is more to being a leader of a team than wins and losses. you know it. eyeball knows it. everyone knows it.

for some reason you're pretending you don't

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Tak7

In Montreal, PK Subban gets into fights with guys at practice and yelling matches with his assistant coach, and all we hear is about how the guy has heart and desire.

Yet we have our own captain, who is clearly frustrated by what's going on here, standing up and making some sort of point, and we just waste the thread by ripping into him/criticizing the source of the story.

Odd.

For what it's worth - I don't like Phaneuf the player all that much. Far too inconsistent, slow, and unreliable. His shot is ridiculously overrated as well. But Phaneuf the captain, I don't mind. He's got the right personalty and is a team-first guy.

It's one thing to question the guy's play, but to question his leadership is an entirely different thing. I know that concept might be a bit to complex for most 'fans' who post on here, but that's what it is - it's a shame more of you can't differentiate between the two

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:48 PM
bberard34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
as opposed to the kind of person who randomly forms opinions on a person's character without likely ever having even been in the same room with them, let alone knowing them?

Yeah, phaneuf is the worst kind......

this!! A million times this!!!

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:50 PM
bberard34

This thread is so stupid

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:50 PM
gmjohnny

Its Franson. Franson is pissed because Phaneuf cant hit the net on the PP while he has a way better (hard/accurate) shot and he doesnt get what Wilson sees in Phaneuf. Franson is outspoken about it and Phaneuf doesnt like the competition

gmjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjohnny View Post
Its Franson. Franson is pissed because Phaneuf cant hit the net on the PP while he has a way better (hard/accurate) shot and he doesnt get what Wilson sees in Phaneuf. Franson is outspoken about it and Phaneuf doesnt like the competition
Franson's shots hit as many shin-pads/back boards as Dion

Old
03-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Bigleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Franson's shots hit as many shin-pads/back boards as Dion
You're kidding, right?

Bigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigleaf View Post
You're kidding, right?
Nope.

But I'm one of those guys who actually watch hockey games around here - I'm not sure my opinion is valid as a result.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Bigleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Nope.

But I'm one of those guys who actually watch hockey games around here - I'm not sure my opinion is valid as a result.
I'd suggest you start watching some Leaf games.

Bigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigleaf View Post
I'd suggest you start watching some Leaf games.
His shot is better than Phaneufs, but by how much? It's not a black and white thing where one player has a cannon and the other has a feather whacker.

Franson has a very inconsistent shot.

Old
03-02-2012, 07:02 PM
pucky

'Doesn't matter if it's true or not. Phaneuf still sucks and is an overpaid hockey player.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:04 PM
diceman934
LINT must go!

I watch all the Leafs games and Phaneuf is not a number 1 or 2 D-man

He is a 3-4 D man.

The issue around Phaneuf has been well document in interviews with Burke. He came to the Leafs and rather then settle in and sit back and observe and watch. He came in and inflicted his will on the team. He dictated what music was going to be played in the dressing room and Burke bragged about this.

A true leader does not tell people what to do....he shows them then asks them to follow. As soon as Phaneuf starts doing this, then and only then will I view him as a leader.

Schenn exhibits more leadership then anyone else on a consistent bases on the Leafs, he does not hide from the media and he takes ownership of his mistakes and shoulders the blame of others....this is a leader.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:09 PM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
I watch all the Leafs games and Phaneuf is not a number 1 or 2 D-man

He is a 3-4 D man.
3-4 dman with the 7th most points by a defenceman in the league

hehe

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:16 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
3-4 dman with the 7th most points by a defenceman in the league

hehe
So, he's a winger on the blueline... big deal. I prefer my dmen play their position first before anything else. At least, be half decent at it.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote