HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

A sort of skate sharpening question

Old
09-23-2016, 05:57 PM
Bondoao1

vCash: 500
A sort of skate sharpening question

I have a question sort of regarding skate sharpening.

First you will need to know some important info. I played hockey (Ice and roller) from 8 yrs old till I was 28. At that time I was sidelined with a head injury, and until this past January (10 years later) I hadn't set foot on the ice. In the past 10 years I gained some weight, which is why I think I had so much trouble with 1/2" hollow when I first started skating again.

I used 1/2" all my life till I had to stop which is why I went back to it. but in that time I went from 155lbs to 200lbs.

When I had so much trouble turning and stopping, I switched up to 5/8" hollow. That helped dramatically, and I can skate almost as good as I used to except for one thing.

When I try to stop, most of the time I still get a lot of chatter in my skates. Some times (very rare) I do stop correctly.
I was thinking of going with a 3/4" hollow, but I'm concerned it will affect my cornering.
I thought maybe my technique is to blame but I have been stopping the same way for 20 years before.

Any input into my situation will be greatly appreciated.

Bondoao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2016, 08:25 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondoao1 View Post
I have a question sort of regarding skate sharpening.

First you will need to know some important info. I played hockey (Ice and roller) from 8 yrs old till I was 28. At that time I was sidelined with a head injury, and until this past January (10 years later) I hadn't set foot on the ice. In the past 10 years I gained some weight, which is why I think I had so much trouble with 1/2" hollow when I first started skating again.

I used 1/2" all my life till I had to stop which is why I went back to it. but in that time I went from 155lbs to 200lbs.

When I had so much trouble turning and stopping, I switched up to 5/8" hollow. That helped dramatically, and I can skate almost as good as I used to except for one thing.

When I try to stop, most of the time I still get a lot of chatter in my skates. Some times (very rare) I do stop correctly.
I was thinking of going with a 3/4" hollow, but I'm concerned it will affect my cornering.
I thought maybe my technique is to blame but I have been stopping the same way for 20 years before.

Any input into my situation will be greatly appreciated.
How does the 5/8 work after a few skates, when they don't quite yet need resharpening?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2016, 04:14 PM
Bondoao1

I have 5 pick up games on my last sharpening and they still feel the same as when they were first sharpened.

Old
10-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Bondoao1

Ok, after playing in my 6th pickup game since my last sharpening, I am actually able to stop a bit better without changing technique at all. I think as my skates are getting dull, I'ts making it easier to stop, yet I did not experience any issues with cornering.

So does this mean I should try 3/4" hollow next time?

Old
10-04-2016, 05:51 AM
Fremitus Borealis
Flügelstürmer.

Good question, which I'm curious about the answer to. I had always just used the default 1/2" sharpening, but recently noticed that it always took a few skates to feel "dialed in", if that makes sense, so this past time at their recommendation I had them do 9/16". It actually felt pretty good right from the start (stopping was especially easier), so I'm thinking of making this my new standard... though I'm really wondering if I should be getting them sharpened more often now, just because I don't want them to get dull enough where pushing off is iffy. I rely a lot on my speed, so if I can't get that first step as efficiently, my game will suffer.

Fremitus Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2016, 02:05 AM
bhd1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondoao1 View Post
Ok, after playing in my 6th pickup game since my last sharpening, I am actually able to stop a bit better without changing technique at all. I think as my skates are getting dull, I'ts making it easier to stop, yet I did not experience any issues with cornering.

So does this mean I should try 3/4" hollow next time?
First I'd say make sure you are actually getting what you asked for which I assume you are since you mentioned noticing a difference in the first post. It can't hurt to try 3/4" and it's the only way you'll know if it will work for you. I can tell you I switched to a 3/4" hollow recently and I can turn just as tight as before, but obviously after a few skates they need a resharpen as they "dull" a bit quicker than the previous 1/2" I was on. Those usually started to feel comfortable at about the point I sharpen now.

One thing you note about chattering on hockey stops, I've always heard this means you have too much bite for your technique/pressure. Basically, you really need to press harder with your legs to dig in and not chatter with a smaller hollow. I would recommend you try the 3/4" hollow and see how it feels. You may fall in love with it like I did, but I am skating at a place with really soft ice for now. I plan on trying to go back to a 5/8" once the short winter hits if the ice hardens up a bit.

Take all that for what it's worth. I'm no expert, just some random fella on the internet.

bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2016, 10:28 AM
MegaAlf

I would think 5/8 is good for your weight. I'm light at 155 and tried 5/8 and my skates wouldn't dig into the ice well enough for quick starts. I go with 7/16.

MegaAlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Rookie109

I had 11/16 all summer because at my home rink for summer hockey, that's what the guy suggested I try. I'm about 6'3 and 192 pounds so it let's me stay on top of the ice for glide. However, I recently noticed my skating was getting slower over time and the edges were wearing down, so it was time for a new sharpening.

So, I switched back to Flat bottom V sharpening at 92/75 which for the one skate I tried them, I really liked it. I've had it many times at different flat bottom V patterns, I usually like a little more glide. It is worth trying out, at least a couple different cuts to see how you skate with extra speed and a very responsive edge for turning (flat bottom v supposedly gives you both).

Check it out:
https://blackstonesport.com/technology/

Rookie109 is offline   Reply With Quote