HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Too many centers next year?

Old
02-29-2012, 09:23 AM
gabbag00

vCash: 500
Too many centers next year?

So if we draft Grigo, what would we do with our centers next year.

We will have Plekanec, Grigo, Eller and Desharnais, all for of them are skilled enough to be top 3 and any of them would be a waste on a fourth line.

I can see Desharnais with Cole and Pacioretty again, so that would be a lock for me.

It leaves Grigorenko, Eller and Plekanec for the #2 or #3 center spot, I think if we have Grigo, he has to be #2 or #3 center, so What do we do?

Options are
Trade Plekanec
Trade Eller
Play one of them on the fourth line
Move Eller to the wing
Play Grigo on the wing (which would be a waste too imo based on the fact that he would become our big #1 center we always looked for)

What do you guys think?

gabbag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:25 AM
llamateizer

trade grigorenko is an option

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:25 AM
HabsSlappy

Draft Grigorenko, Trade Plekanec, Demote Gomez, Sign Parise, Sign Suter

That should be the game plan for the offseason.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:27 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Move up to get Yakupov and play him with Plekanec. Problem solved and everyone is happy!

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gabbag00

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Draft Grigorenko, Trade Plekanec, Demote Gomez, Sign Parise, Sign Suter

That should be the game plan for the offseason.
It doesnt solve the problem.

gabbag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Who says the team even drafts him and no matter who the Habs draft, there is an even chance that person is back in junior as the team does not have much of a history of bringing players up right away.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

If we had to trade Plekanec, what would he fetch in draft day? A top-10 pick+?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Bullsmith

Grigs isn't Crosby. You don't start him in a top 6 center role at 18, at least not if you have any common sense. The last thing the Habs have to worry about right now is too much depth at center.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:33 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

If you want to ruin Grigorenko then you'd trade Plekanec, be stupid to start the year with 3 young centers and rush him into a top 6 spot. Best idea would be to move Eller or Desharnais to the wing and start Grigorenko on the third line. Having a guy like Plekanec would help Grigorenko develop a lot better.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:33 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
If we had to trade Plekanec, what would he fetch in draft day? A top-10 pick+?
a NTC will block the trade

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Captain Saku

From the reports that I've been reading Grigo might not be NHL ready just yet. Might be wise to spend another year in junior, pressure would be too big on the kid.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:40 AM
le_sean

We're talking about the Montreal Canadiens here. When is the last time they gave a roster spot to an 18 year old?

Christ I feel even if they win the lottery that they would keep Yakupov in the OHL.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:42 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbag00 View Post
It doesnt solve the problem.
I'm sorry, are we going to be worse adding Grigorenko, Parise and Suter and deleting Plekanec who could get us a solid pick and prospect in return?

Parise can play centre if we want him to, he has in the past. He is an upgrade. Desharnais can play #2 centre, and Eller or Grigorenko can play #3 centre depending who is better. If Grigs is better than we think then we can move him to #2 centre and Parise to the wing.

Then adding Suter would make all the difference in the world.

My question is if you like Parise + a solid pick and prospect or Plekanec more.....I choose Parise any day of the week, the return for Plekanec is just gravy.

Edit: I know Plekanec can block a trade, I am dreaming that he would agree to be dealt.

Last edited by HabsSlappy: 02-29-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: I know Plekanec can bloke a trade, I am dreaming that he would agree to be dealt.
Old
02-29-2012, 09:50 AM
domdo345

I'd let Grigo one more year under Roy's coaching, that is unless Roy comes over as the habs coach. No need to rush him to play with ****** wingers and then putting him on the wings because he doesn't produce enough.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:51 AM
juve

I would move Desharnias at wing. Let's be realistic, Desharnais surprised us but he's not a top center you can win with. I think he's better suited for the wing going forward.

If we draft Yakupov.

Cole-Plekanec-Yakupov
Pacoiretty-Eller-Desharnais
Bourque-Free Agent-Gionta
Free Agent-Free Agent-White

If we draft Grigorenko

Cole-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Eller-Desharnais
Bourque-Grigorenko-Free Agent
Free Agent-Free Agent-White

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:53 AM
juve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
I'm sorry, are we going to be worse adding Grigorenko, Parise and Suter and deleting Plekanec who could get us a solid pick and prospect in return?

Parise can play centre if we want him to, he has in the past. He is an upgrade. Desharnais can play #2 centre, and Eller or Grigorenko can play #3 centre depending who is better. If Grigs is better than we think then we can move him to #2 centre and Parise to the wing.

Then adding Suter would make all the difference in the world.

My question is if you like Parise + a solid pick and prospect or Plekanec more.....I choose Parise any day of the week, the return for Plekanec is just gravy.

Edit: I know Plekanec can block a trade, I am dreaming that he would agree to be dealt.
I don't know why people think we're going to sign Parise? He's not going leave a playoff bound team, year in and year out for team that barely score a goal per game. I would love to sign but it's not going to happen.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:55 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

If we get Grigs, he can start at RW, or maybe mover Eller to LW. I know Eller is better at Centre, but if he or DD had to move to wing its Eller, he is a better winger than DD, and size on the wing has become more important than at Centre in todays NHL.

RW
Cole
Gionta
Grigs(can play C

LW
Patches
Bourque(can play RW)
Eller

Centre
Plek
DD

XXX-Plek-Gio
Patches-DD-Cole
Bourque-Eller-Grigs
Moen-Boomer-White

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Ginu

I'd say go with another year of Plekanec, DD and Eller as the top 3 knowing that we're likely to lose again because of the lack of balance at the center ice position. Get another top pick next season. I would keep the status quo for next year.

For me, next season should be about the Hamilton Bulldogs. Get Grigorenko or Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bournival and Gallagher all ready to dominate the AHL.

For the 2013-2014 season:

-Grigorenko or Galchenyuk should be ready for prime time
-Eller will be ready for a 2nd line center role as a two-way playmaker
-Bournival will be ready for a 3rd line center role
-Plekanec should be dealt for a young top 6 winger
-Gionta will be in his final year
-Desharnais will show by now what his long-term potential is in the NHL given his size. I see him as a Martin St. Louis type on the wing who can also play center.

I see:
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Desharnais
Cole - Eller - Gionta / Leblanc
Bourque - Bournival - Leblanc / White
Moen* - x - White

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu

If we could package together some players for a superstar winger for Cole and Eller to play with, we'd be a contender in a few years.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Who says the team even drafts him and no matter who the Habs draft, there is an even chance that person is back in junior as the team does not have much of a history of bringing players up right away.
Right. Assuming we end up with a top 3 pick i would think that Yakupov would be the only guy that would most likely make the jump. Possibly in Grigorenko's case.

At the end of the day, if the Habs want to take that next step we have to do something to improve our C position. No idea how they are going to do it anytime soon though since there doesn't appear to be a solution on the UFA market and i can't see us being able to trade for that big center. Grigorenko may be the solution, but he's likely a few years out from being an impact top 2 C on a good team.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
I don't know why people think we're going to sign Parise? He's not going leave a playoff bound team, year in and year out for team that barely score a goal per game. I would love to sign but it's not going to happen.
Yeah i definitely see the Habs making a big run at Parise this summer (assuming he even hits the market...my guess is that he gets traded at the draft), but the chances he signs here are slim to none unless we DRASTICALLY overpay.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Failing Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
If you want to ruin Grigorenko then you'd trade Plekanec, be stupid to start the year with 3 young centers and rush him into a top 6 spot. Best idea would be to move Eller or Desharnais to the wing and start Grigorenko on the third line. Having a guy like Plekanec would help Grigorenko develop a lot better.
Read my mind!

Failing Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Et le But

You don't throw Grigorenko or Galchenyuk off the deep end unless you want to ruin them. Don't expect Crosby, the only guy in this draft class ready to have an immediate impact is Yakupov.

Plus if one of them makes the NHL and progresses, you move Desharnais to the wing.

I don't get how this is a bad thing. Right now our 3 Cs are the only guys on the team who can puck handle besides Gionta, why would you possibly rush to get rid of one of them? To make room for more grinders on the top 6?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:03 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
We're talking about the Montreal Canadiens here. When is the last time they gave a roster spot to an 18 year old?

Christ I feel even if they win the lottery that they would keep Yakupov in the OHL.
Well, they haven't drafted a top forward in a very long time!

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Failing Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I'd say go with another year of Plekanec, DD and Eller as the top 3 knowing that we're likely to lose again because of the lack of balance at the center ice position. Get another top pick next season. I would keep the status quo for next year.

For me, next season should be about the Hamilton Bulldogs. Get Grigorenko or Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bournival and Gallagher all ready to dominate the AHL.

For the 2013-2014 season:

-Grigorenko or Galchenyuk should be ready for prime time
-Eller will be ready for a 2nd line center role as a two-way playmaker
-Bournival will be ready for a 3rd line center role
-Plekanec should be dealt for a young top 6 winger
-Gionta will be in his final year
-Desharnais will show by now what his long-term potential is in the NHL given his size. I see him as a Martin St. Louis type on the wing who can also play center.

I see:
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Desharnais
Cole - Eller - Gionta / Leblanc
Bourque - Bournival - Leblanc / White
Moen* - x - White

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu

If we could package together some players for a superstar winger for Cole and Eller to play with, we'd be a contender in a few years.
Eller's not a 2nd line C IMO...at least not yet. I really think people are jumping the gun on Plekanec because he's having a bad season. The whole team pretty much had a bad season with the exception of one line. You guys underestimate what Plekanec can do against other team's top lines. He's still young and has a lot left in him. He's the type of player you'd want to keep. If DD has another good season next season, I'd say trade him while his value is high.

Failing Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:08 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
Stop it with your level headed arguments. My team sucks right now and I want to dream that Parise and Suter are coming here. Let me do that please...