HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Top-10 pick + Luke Schenn for Top-5 pick

Old
02-29-2012, 03:45 PM
superrich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
When you play defence on a team where the goalies can't stop a beach ball -- everyone is a loser. Heck Gustavson took a 60 foot wrist shot from the corner boards last week that was going wide and steered it in for the OT winner. Hard to look good there.

This team is decent with decent goaltending -- as is Schenn -- problem is the goaltending has been brutal.
Goaltending is the problem when Gustavsson is in net. When Reimer is in net, usually the problem has been defence.

superrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
Seriously????

There is a notable drop-off after the first couple picks, the difference between 5 and 10 is not significant enough to deal a popular, early-20s shutdown-D that will become a solid Top4 once we get an actual hockey coach.

Not that i'm opposed to trading him persay...but Schenn is getting severly underrated by non-Leaf fans (and in all fairness still overrated by Leaf fans, but that's another story..)

Maybe something around #4-6 + young NHLer/ solid prospect w/upside for + #9-11 + Schenn
Id say a good not great prospect to fill the gap... Schenn has a ton of untapped potential, but the same could be said of any solid prospect going the other way

what else would you want from the Isles for Schenn and your pick (#9-11) in addition to our first (#4-6)

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:20 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
Id say a good not great prospect to fill the gap... Schenn has a ton of untapped potential, but the same could be said of any solid prospect going the other way

what else would you want from the Isles for Schenn and your pick (#9-11) in addition to our first (#4-6)
I'd probably ask for Kabanov. TML fans won't like it very much, but we could really use a prospect with high-end potential, even if it is a high-risk player

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:37 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Any takers?
Look at the last 10 games of teams below TO. If TO continues that pace they will pick #4. not likely. but surprising.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
I'd probably ask for Kabanov. TML fans won't like it very much, but we could really use a prospect with high-end potential, even if it is a high-risk player
meh, I think the Isles balk at that offer... the Isles wouldnt want to give up a high potential player to move back 5-6 spots, even if it does get them back Luke Schenn

Old
02-29-2012, 05:36 PM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrich View Post
Goaltending is the problem when Gustavsson is in net. When Reimer is in net, usually the problem has been defence.
Somebody has been watching games. I think we should trade Schenn for a top 5 pick. Straight up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post

If this was before the lottery, i would say something minor, and we will hope to win the lottery. If it is after the deadline, is

Isles 1st
Niederreiter

for
Schenn
Leafs 1st
Percy(last years first round pick) or Gysbers + Mikus

Possible?

Niederreiter has not been performing in an Isles jersey.

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:43 PM
mytor4*

Habs pass. We're looking for a center and theres a good chance we get a good one.
Schenn is not worth moving back 5 spots. He's been horrible this season.There's a few
D-men available in the top 5 or 6th and they will be much better than Schenn after a few seasons.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:51 PM
IBLeaf*

Pass. I still have faith in Schenn.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Carolina would probably be interested, except it looks like they're not going to finish in the Top 5 and they're apparently happy with the defense they have now.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Seriously????

There is a notable drop-off after the first couple picks, the difference between 5 and 10 is not significant enough to deal a popular, early-20s shutdown-D that will become a solid Top4 once we get an actual hockey coach.

Not that i'm opposed to trading him persay...but Schenn is getting severly underrated by non-Leaf fans (and in all fairness still overrated by Leaf fans, but that's another story..)

Maybe something around #4-6 + young NHLer/ solid prospect w/upside for + #9-11 + Schenn
Except there is Galchenyuk who's been out injured he's kind of a wildcard. Could easily be up there with the two Russians as offensive talent.

I dont know that Schenn is enough to make the deal but there are more d-men that could still be available when the leafs pick. It might be intersting for a team like the Oilers then again that cap hit for Schenn seems a little steep.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Skyver

I'd do it even to move to 6th and i'd be starting the party for the steal. Don't get mistaken, there's nothing in Luke Schenn. He's learned nothing and has regressed. He is Mike Commodore if Commodore made more gaffes.

Skyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:06 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
I'd do it even to move to 6th and i'd be starting the party for the steal. Don't get mistaken, there's nothing in Luke Schenn. He's learned nothing and has regressed. He is Mike Commodore if Commodore made more gaffes.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
Somebody has been watching games. I think we should trade Schenn for a top 5 pick. Straight up.

If this was before the lottery, i would say something minor, and we will hope to win the lottery. If it is after the deadline, is

Isles 1st
Niederreiter

for
Schenn
Leafs 1st
Percy(last years first round pick) or Gysbers + Mikus

Possible?

Niederreiter has not been performing in an Isles jersey
No, the Isles don't touch that with a 10 ft pole

Old
02-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Whydidijoin*

A couple of years ago, Schenn was worth a top-5 pick by himself. Now, after a couple years of leading defencemen in hits and overblown "regression", he is now worth moving up in the draft 5 spots?

Typical HFboards. A Schenn is a Schenn, but a 5th overall pick could be anything. It could even be a Schenn! But only if we trade a top-10 pick as well.

You don't give up on 22-year old defencemen, especially not to move your draft position to a spot that will likely make little to no difference.

Unless we'd be getting Yakupov, Leafs don't even consider this.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:30 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
There should be a general rule that all trade proposals started by a Leafs fan should be ignored. Only consider a Leafs trade if proposed by a different fanbase.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:51 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

lets just give up on a former top 5 pick and give up a top 10 pick. smart.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:12 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I'd trade Schenn and a 2nd for another top 10 pick, but not with our 1st this year.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:53 PM
NeilYoung

Leonsis just bought the Capitals a new set of pylons, they have enough for now

also don't have a top 5 pick

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:00 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
If habs had a 2nd pick from 6th to 10th I'd easily take this deal if TO is in 13 range on condition they take some salary back. I know it won't happen, just answering the OP. Schenn is still a good piece to a team.

I would not give habs top 5 pick though.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:06 AM
kihei

vCash: 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
There should be a general rule that all trade proposals started by a Leafs fan should be ignored. Only consider a Leafs trade if proposed by a different fanbase.
In this case, the proposal has led to some interesting discussion. Gotta feel for Schenn, though, it's no wonder he's struggling in TO. He'd probably be better off in New York or in Edmonton, not that I would make this particular deal.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:13 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
As an Islander fan I'd listen if we had the 5th pick and you were 10th
Snow likes MOBILE defensemen.Strong skaters.I don't see him passing up the chance to draft a mobile blueliner,to nab the weak skating Schenn.Unless he felt the player he wanted would be available at #10.

That's a big gamble to take though.Sliding down 5 spots and possibly missing out on the 2012 pick he wants.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 03-01-2012 at 03:29 AM.
CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:18 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post

Isles 1st
Niederreiter

for
Phaneuf
Leafs 2nd

Possible?

Niederreiter has not been performing in an Isles jersey.

I fixed it for you.
With the vets Rolston and probably Parenteau leaving,I expect 19/20 yr old Nino to make his way off the 4th line.

Snow won't give up his 1st or Nino or a collection of Toronto's spare parts.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:24 AM
voxel

Schenn's development reminds me of Smid - who took many years to become a top-pairing D-man. Smid had all the tools (skating, size, tenacity, puck carrying ability, but no shot to speak of) but chased the puck for the first few years. Only since last year he has turned on the beast mode.

The problem is, is any team willing to eat the development years (i.e suck) to reap the rewards? Schenn might be another two more years away before he can be 100% trusted.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:08 AM
mydnyte

Schenn can likely garner a top 10 pick on his own. ...he's ready, and you know what you get, and what he can become ...the pick you never know???

GM's live for the moment, not 5 years down the road (many GM's dont even last 5 years)

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
If Montreal ends up with the 3rd overall pick and both Yakupov and Grigorenko are taken I would definitely make this trade (as a Montreal fan)

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote