Notices

Possible Trade Ideas v5

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 0
I'm glad Haula doesn't carry any value. There would be weekly trade proposals for him if Canada actually payed attention to the NCAA.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Not to mention he went hot in the playoffs. That was huge. He carried the team for a couple games.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:36 PM
topshelf20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Yea. Haula is just the player that does very good at every level, but doesn't do anything special. He's just successful everywhere.
Except the professional league. He has done well wherever he has gone, but so do a lot of hockey players. I just feel we are overvaluing him. I'm not saying he doesn't have anything special about him. Believe me, if there's anyone who wants to see him playing in our top-6 in the next 5-10 years, it's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Dude went point-for-point with the likes of Zucker, Shore, Nelson, Kristo and left Bjugstad in the rearview. I wouldn't consider any of those guys as a "dime-a-dozen". He has some things to work on for sure (namely consistency), but I think he's earned another look.
Again, I'm not saying that he can't put up points. But when we talk about his projections as an NHL player, that's a different story. And I hope you are not trying to make the statement that he is a better player than Nick Bjugstad or you would be compromising the value of your opinion in every sense of the word. Points are cute, but the NHL is the endgame.

I'm sorry for starting an argument, that's the last thing I wanted. But I think we need to look at our 7th/8th best forward prospect in a more realistic light.

That being said, here's to a long and successful career for Erik!!

Old
06-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf20 View Post
Again, I'm not saying that he can't put up points. But when we talk about his projections as an NHL player, that's a different story. And I hope you are not trying to make the statement that he is a better player than Nick Bjugstad or you would be compromising the value of your opinion in every sense of the word. Points are cute, but the NHL is the endgame.

I'm sorry for starting an argument, that's the last thing I wanted. But I think we need to look at our 7th/8th best forward prospect in a more realistic light.
No, I'm not saying he's better than Bjugstad. My main main point was the last 7 words of my last post. I don't know where he'll end up, the same way I don't know where Phillips or Zucker will end up. I'm saying that, based on what I saw last year (watched 90% of his games at the U), that he deserves another look. And if he continues to progress, then he deserves another look (probably in Houston).

It's safe to say that he has already drastically outperformed his draft position. I'm just very curious to see where he ends up.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Except the professional league. He has done well wherever he has gone, but so do a lot of hockey players. I just feel we are overvaluing him. I'm not saying he doesn't have anything special about him. Believe me, if there's anyone who wants to see him playing in our top-6 in the next 5-10 years, it's me.

That being said, here's to a long and successful career for Erik!!
Overvaluing? I'm saying wait and see. But if they redo the '09 draft, you better believe he's going top 3 rounds.

A lot of people struggle on the world stage, he hasn't. Erik has shown that he can perform under pressure, even when wearing his nations colors. He wasn't saying Haula was better than Bjugstad, Nick just had a ****** attitude and stopped worked. He was careless in his play and it showed on many occasions. Yea, he's a good hockey player, could be great, but who cares if he doesn't do anything with it.

Points are cute. And they are also the standard of which to measure ones ability at a level. Of which, Haula has performed at every one.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:45 PM
topshelf20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
No, I'm not saying he's better than Bjugstad. My main main point was the last 7 words of my last post. I don't know where he'll end up, the same way I don't know where Phillips or Zucker will end up. I'm saying that, based on what I saw last year (watched 90% of his games at the U), that he deserves another look. And if he continues to progress, then he deserves another look (probably in Houston).

It's safe to say that he has already drastically outperformed his draft position. I'm very curious to see where he ends up.
Absolutely agree! Being a student at the U (without giving away my identity ), I was able to watch all the games as well. No doubt he was an important cog for the team. He has the talent to make it. As you referenced, he has issues with disappearing for periods of time, and hopefully he can work on that!

Your last bolded statement is one I think sums his career (thus far) up pretty well. He has produced, and I hope he continues to make the Wild brass give him look after look!

Old
06-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Your last bolded statement is one I think sums his career (thus far) up pretty well. He has produced, and I hope he continues to make the Wild brass give him look after look!
Thats kind of a cop-out answer. If you are a late round pick, you either outperform your ranking the first year or two or you aren't heard from again. Its one or the other, there isn't much grey area when getting picked so late, you aren't getting many second chances from back there.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:50 PM
topshelf20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Overvaluing? I'm saying wait and see. But if they redo the '09 draft, you better believe he's going top 3 rounds.

A lot of people struggle on the world stage, he hasn't. Erik has shown that he can perform under pressure, even when wearing his nations colors. He wasn't saying Haula was better than Bjugstad, Nick just had a ****** attitude and stopped worked. He was careless in his play and it showed on many occasions. Yea, he's a good hockey player, could be great, but who cares if he doesn't do anything with it.

Points are cute. And they are also the standard of which to measure ones ability at a level. Of which, Haula has performed at every one.
I just find the last statement interesting, as I don't think that is an accurate depiction of all levels of play. Thinking about the different Canadian leagues and professional leagues in other countries. Remember when Koivu was playing in Turku and only put up one point? He translated pretty well. Whereas players like Christoph Brandner et. al didn't pan out.

I'm not saying points don't show a players performance, but I am not sure I look at points as the only standard on which to value a player.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
I just find the last statement interesting, as I don't think that is an accurate depiction of all levels of play. Thinking about the different Canadian leagues and professional leagues in other countries. Remember when Koivu was playing in Turku and only put up one point? He translated pretty well. Whereas players like Christoph Brandner et. al didn't pan out.

I'm not saying points don't show a players performance, but I am not sure I look at points as the only standard on which to value a player.
When he was 17.... And he scored 45 points in 26 games when competing at his age level that year.

There is also a difference at playing a different above ones own. Such as Granlund and Brodin playing in men's league when they aren't even adults. That is playing above their level and still performing. They could have put up big numbers, too. Some choose to accept the challenge.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:07 AM
topshelf20

Very true. Good point. My argument was misdirected.

I, more or less, find it interesting when Westrum (who had a very similar path as Haula, just more prolific) tears it up at the minor league level and doesn't get a real shot at the pros. Or Brandon Bochenski and Ryan Potulny, who each had fantastic college careers and each only got a cup of coffee.

I'm not saying that points don't depict a player's talent. Obviously, it does. But there's a lot more that goes into what "they" deem makes a prospect valuable or not.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 0
Both are good points.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Definitely. Westrum is a good comparison. It also depends on where they are used and how they progress as people. But Haula also scored twice as many goals in his sophomore year at Minnesota. Hopefully he blasts off the launching pad he set this year.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:48 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Does anyone think Haula would be ridiculously hyped if he wasn't a Minnesota prospect?

Old
06-21-2012, 01:49 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Does anyone think Haula would be ridiculously hyped if he wasn't a Minnesota prospect?
No.

Even as a Detroit or Toronto prospect I don't think many people would know his name.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Nope. Not much is talked about NCAA prospects. Obvious exceptions are out there, though.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If he were a Detroit or Toronto prospect he would be hyped up but he's pretty much a nobody in most people's eyes.

I find it kind of dumb both Zucker and Larsson are still 6.5B right now.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Definitely. I don't pay attention to the rankings. I could care less.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:58 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not at all. He'd be called a dime a dozen prospect.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:58 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I tried really hard to suggest a terrible plan of action for Columbus with the 2nd overall pick here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz
In the case of the former we could see a series of trades like this:

2nd for 5th + 35th + Franson
5th for 11th + 16th
Use 11th
16th for 19th + 40th
19th for 25th + 56th
25th for 42nd + 44th

Ultimately they'd receive for the 2nd overall:

Franson
11th
35th
40th
42nd
44th
56th

Okay those are all horrible trades.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:44 AM
Ovechkid08

Haven't read too much of this thread outside of the last page but IMO watching Bjugstad in High school and college he is probably the most overrated player to come out of MN since Wheeler. Pat White always had the blatant question marks but no one seemed to questioned Bjugstad, guy was a downgrade from pre-injury high school Budish and outside of his stature showed no skill beyond that of the typical 4-8 Mr. Hockey candidates that we see every year. I never saw him drafted that high and still don't see it, hell Rau was a better player in highschool and even with the massive height disadvantage I would not be surprised if that pick shows way more value than the Bjugstad one.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:51 AM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Double post but the Haula pick was my favorite of that draft, I'm not surprised he's touted in MN because it was obvious to anyone that saw him play that he had the talent, I just think a lot of MN players are severely under-scouted for the NHL. I usually don't like SSM players but Haula was one of the few I have seen throughout the years that actually looked talented and worthy of a pick. He reminded me a lot at the time of Vanek on the gophers, outsider in a usually MN oriented team that just oozed potential, I was and am very happy with the pick, would have been happy if we had taken him earlier in fact.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:57 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Except Vanek was a clear cut high end talent that went top 5 in his draft overall.

Haula looks good in college but has a lot to prove to see if he can carry it forward. He doesn't ooze the skill Vanek did at all.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Except Vanek was a clear cut high end talent that went top 5 in his draft overall.

Haula looks good in college but has a lot to prove to see if he can carry it forward. He doesn't ooze the skill Vanek did at all.
That was a comment on his particular development situation, at no point would I put Haula even within the realm of Vanek, prospect wise.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I really like this proposal and if we can't get one of Suter or Carle, I think it would be a great trade for both teams.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1216379

Old
06-25-2012, 08:36 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I really like this proposal and if we can't get one of Suter or Carle, I think it would be a great trade for both teams.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1216379
I do too. But getting Cullen to waive his NTC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post

No one is comparing Vanek to Haula. But Haula was considered a top 60 pick going into the draft but teams were scared of his size and his unusual development.

Closed Thread