Notices

Possible Trade Ideas v5

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Not to mention I don't think Calgary would be too itching to trade one of their better players to a team within their division.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:46 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
On a scale from 1 to murder, how would you feel about moving 7th overall for JayBo and 14th overall?
That would seem a bit light in terms of a return from Calgary's perspective, I'd imagine. If they'd accept that, take it and run...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
06-17-2012, 04:49 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
That would seem a bit light in terms of a return from Calgary's perspective, I'd imagine. If they'd accept that, take it and run...
It seems the consensus on "fair value" for him would be 4th + cap dump for 14th + Bouwmester. Since the Wild wouldn't be moving a cap dump, I think that levels out a little back to 7th. The Wild might need to add a little, but I imagine it's at least close considering Bouwmester's production lately.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:50 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
+1. And I wouldn't be horrified if we got Suter instead of Parise on top of that. i doubt Calgary would go for it without a good prospect and another pick thrown in.

Probably from our side #7 overall, Zucker or Phillips, Washington's 2nd for J Bo and #14. I doubt their fans would even go for that.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:56 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
+1. And I wouldn't be horrified if we got Suter instead of Parise on top of that. i doubt Calgary would go for it without a good prospect and another pick thrown in.

Probably from our side #7 overall, Zucker or Phillips, Washington's 2nd for J Bo and #14. I doubt their fans would even go for that.
Absolutely not. That's a ridiculous overpayment on the Wild's behalf. Remember this is a guy with a NTC who is earning $6.6MM/yr for 2 more years and has been dramatically underperforming. If Calgary wants a pick in or near the top 5 (as was reported) they're looking at maybe the Wild, NYI, and possibly Anaheim making offers. They won't be holding the cards in any deal of this type.

7th + Haula + late round pick would be about the absolute most they could hope to garner for 14th + Bouwmester.

Old
06-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Bookman

vCash: 728
What would be a sensible lateral trade for this team, like Pouliot-Latendresse, Havlat-Heatley, or Schultz-Gilbert?

These seem to be the trades that work out best for the Wild.

Old
06-17-2012, 06:47 PM
forthewild

If wild trade for JBo, I will be pissed, guy is overrated as hell and over paid, plus no team he has been on has mde the playoffs.

Old
06-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
plus no team he has been on has mde the playoffs.
That sucks, to be sure. But he's only played for an abysmal Florida Panthers team and a Calgary team needing desperately to rebuild.

Old
06-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Not a fan of JayBouw. He's not exactly old, but trading for him doesn't exactly follow our team's "youth mentality" mantra.

Last edited by Minnesota: 06-17-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old
06-17-2012, 08:42 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
That sucks, to be sure. But he's only played for an abysmal Florida Panthers team and a Calgary team needing desperately to rebuild.
Also he isn't exactly the piece to make the difference, his last year in Florida they were close so they kept him. For that money and the cost of getting him, I would want more out of a player. I am pretty sure we can get ballard for way less or even a guy like Martin,

Jay Bo just doesn't help this team and his contract is ugly

Old
06-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Also he isn't exactly the piece to make the difference, his last year in Florida they were close so they kept him. For that money and the cost of getting him, I would want more out of a player. I am pretty sure we can get ballard for way less or even a guy like Martin,

Jay Bo just doesn't help this team and his contract is ugly
JayBo is is so much better than Ballard its not even funny, I still like Martin but I don't think he gets traded this offseason. If Bouwmeester is available for the 7th and a small prospect or pick with the 14th coming back as well I would do it in a heartbeat. He would provide some solid mentorship for our young guys in Scandella and Brodin while eating a lot of minutes so we can ease them into their roles for a few years. With the 14th pick there will be a bunch of interesting d men available as well. Koekoek would be awesome to get and settle our blue line perfectly for the next 5 years at least even if we don't get a guy like Suter.

While I don't usually like in division trades, I am not worried about the Flames in the immediate future at all, that team is several years away from being decent and that's if they can overcome their incompetent management. We would instantly become a playoff team with JayBo's addition IMO and solidify a lot of our weaknesses while getting a good skating puckmover that fits in well with the rest of our developing players and the team's system.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:08 PM
tyratoku

The thing with doing that trade, is that it definitely eliminates us from Suter, and could possibly put a damper on our plans for Parise, IMO.

Picking up JayBo gives us just under 15 million in cap space with an 18 man roster. We would need to pick up a backup tender and two forwards. Which is easily doable, and picking up JayBo could prove to Parise that we're serious about winning, but it's a bit less money to play with and a lot less wiggle room.

But imagining JayBo with Parise and Suter also signing gives me chills. Hell yeah.

Heatley - Koivu - Parise
Lats/PMB - Granlund - Setoguchi
Lats/PMB - Brodziak - Cullen
Clutterbuck - Powe - _______

JayBo - Suter
Gilbert - Scandella
Spurgeon - Stoner

Hnnnnnngggggggggg

Old
06-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkid08 View Post
If Bouwmeester is available for the 7th and a small prospect or pick with the 14th coming back as well I would do it in a heartbeat.
I would do it that trade in a heartbeat, too! BUT only after Suter and/or Parise sign somehwere else first. In other words, if the trade precludes us from signing Suter, don't do it. IMO Suter, even at outrageous UFA money, is a better option.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:23 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
The thing with doing that trade, is that it definitely eliminates us from Suter, and could possibly put a damper on our plans for Parise, IMO.

Picking up JayBo gives us just under 15 million in cap space with an 18 man roster. We would need to pick up a backup tender and two forwards. Which is easily doable, and picking up JayBo could prove to Parise that we're serious about winning, but it's a bit less money to play with and a lot less wiggle room.

But imagining JayBo with Parise and Suter also signing gives me chills. Hell yeah.

Heatley - Koivu - Parise
Lats/PMB - Granlund - Setoguchi
Lats/PMB - Brodziak - Cullen
Clutterbuck - Powe - _______

JayBo - Suter
Gilbert - Scandella
Spurgeon - Stoner

Hnnnnnngggggggggg
Well, Parise should fit under the cap easily still. Here's an example. If we get a little creative though, we can theoretically fit both if we sign them to enough term + cheat years, which would likely bite us in the future.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
I think you forgot Granlund.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
I would do it that trade in a heartbeat, too! BUT only after Suter and/or Parise sign somehwere else first. In other words, if the trade precludes us from signing Suter, don't do it. IMO Suter, even at outrageous UFA money, is a better option.
Draft is before FA period making that not feasible although I do agree that I would rather have Suter, but getting a bonafide top pairing addition to our blue line is far superior then possibly getting nothing if we can't sign Suter. JayBo's contract would be up in a few years when we actually will need the cap space for our prospects but until then we have some working cap to fiddle around with.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:30 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I think you forgot Granlund.
Let's just say that Houston would be a beast of a team:

Zucker-Granlund-Phillips
Larsson-Coyle-Bulmer

Scandella-Kampfer
Brodin

Old
06-18-2012, 01:17 AM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
According to some beat writer out of Edmonton, Calgary is shopping Jay Bouwmester in an attempt to "move up into the top 5."

On a scale from 1 to murder, how would you feel about moving 7th overall for JayBo and 14th overall?
Murder, aren't we done picking up other teams discarded trash?

Old
06-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would do that trade (Bou + 14th for 7th). Wild would probably still get a guy they want, maybe a bit more of a long shot but there's going to be at least one guy who falls.

He's a heck of a defenseman. Not an elite guy, but someone who can play 25 minutes. He'd be an upgrade over what we had in Schultz.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

No thanks. There are other trades out there more suitable than Bouw.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:16 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Absolutely not. That's a ridiculous overpayment on the Wild's behalf. Remember this is a guy with a NTC who is earning $6.6MM/yr for 2 more years and has been dramatically underperforming. If Calgary wants a pick in or near the top 5 (as was reported) they're looking at maybe the Wild, NYI, and possibly Anaheim making offers. They won't be holding the cards in any deal of this type.

7th + Haula + late round pick would be about the absolute most they could hope to garner for 14th + Bouwmester.
i didn't say I'd do it. I just think with the lack of good defensive prospects (edit: i mean options) out there they'd want something like that instead of just swapping firsts. There are teams that could take that hit for two years without it strangling them. Wild will have that money for the next two years, unless you're counting on us signing both Parise and Suter or an analogous pair the next off season. Like Backs he's getting overpaid but he's still better than spurgeon, scandella, and probably Gilbert. I'm almost positive we're going to see one of our prospects get traded somewhere, and it's probably going to come from that mid tier and not Lucia or Haula.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1210621

Hmm.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
El Nino22

Like others have said I would wait to make a trade for a defencemen, i.e Bouwmester, until after the draft because I would rather have Suter and IF we do go the defencemen route with our first pick assuming its still at 7 there is a chance that player could step in and play right away. Not that it is extremely likely, but it has happened more regularly. Obviously Larsson and Morrow (partly) last season did it. Then you have guys like Fowler, Schenn, Myers Doughty, and Hedman from recent drafts who have done it.

So going into next season we have already Scandella, Gilbert, Spurgeon, Prosser, Stoner all on one way contracts. Then Kampfer, Brodin, and possibly Falk and another top draft pick competing as well. To throw assets and cap space at a guy like J-Bo who really hasn't proven to be a catalyst for a winning, playoff team and frankly has seen his value plummet in the past few seasons is really short sighted.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:56 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Cap space (unless you're assuming we're going to sign both Parise and Suter) has negative value for this team. The more of it we have left, the more we need to lock up to reach the cap floor. In 3 years we're going to have a ton of ELCs coming due, and will hopefully be needing to give out raises. The more cap space we have now, the more pressured the team will be to tie it up which can cause problems down the road.

However, what the most short sighted thing this team could even conceivably do is drafting a player "who can step in and play right away." If Fletcher ever starts giving something like that major weight in his draft and trade decisions, I will be the loudest calling for a new GM.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:15 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
Cap space (unless you're assuming we're going to sign both Parise and Suter) has negative value for this team. The more of it we have left, the more we need to lock up to reach the cap floor. In 3 years we're going to have a ton of ELCs coming due, and will hopefully be needing to give out raises. The more cap space we have now, the more pressured the team will be to tie it up which can cause problems down the road.

However, what the most short sighted thing this team could even conceivably do is drafting a player "who can step in and play right away." If Fletcher ever starts giving something like that major weight in his draft and trade decisions, I will be the loudest calling for a new GM.
Not that we rush anybody before they were ready, but there are players capable of jumping into the NHL at 19 years old and being an impact player especially when we are drafting as high as we are. Im not saying its likely, but we don't know where sit until after the draft. You can't tell me if Murray or Dumba fall to us they aren't going to get a serious look. The same way Zack Phillips did last year and hell even Tyler Cuma just about made it out of camp his draft year on a team that had Burns, Schultz, Zidlicky, Johnsson.

Also we have cap room, but we aren't Florida. We don't need to throw 3 million at a Sean Bergerhiem the same way we don't need to take on an overpaid, overvalued J-Bo at nearly 7 mil a year with the defencemen we already have on the roster who are NHL players and others who will be very close like Brodin, Cuma, Kampfer and probably 2 or 3 high picks this year.

Closed Thread