Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 09:34 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
Not that we rush anybody before they were ready, but there are players capable of jumping into the NHL at 19 years old and being an impact player especially when we are drafting as high as we are. Im not saying its likely, but we don't know where sit until after the draft. You can't tell me if Murray or Dumba fall to us they aren't going to get a serious look. The same way Zack Phillips did last year and hell even Tyler Cuma just about made it out of camp his draft year on a team that had Burns, Schultz, Zidlicky, Johnsson.
A player we draft could end up being ready to play this year, but if that has any bearing in the decision to draft that player, we need a new GM.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
A player we draft could end up being ready to play this year, but if that has any bearing in the decision to draft that player, we need a new GM.
Hmmm... that seems a bit too black and white. You've said yourself that you'd want us to steer clear of Reinhart partially because he seems like 4-5 year project.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:46 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Hmmm... that seems a bit too black and white. You've said yourself that you'd want us to steer clear of Reinhart partially because he seems like 4-5 year project.
That's not exactly my reasoning for staying clear of Reinhart, but a very long wait is something that can factor into the decision. But the other direction is a completely different matter, you can choose not to pick someone because a long wait implies higher risk of not hitting a ceiling. Not picking a "better" potential career player because you won't see them for a year isn't okay. If a player is picked largely in part of a belief he will play in the NHL this season, then our draft staff has failed.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
He seems like something we'd draft. Reinhart has notably good hockey sense and size, which we are looking for. I won't be surprised if we get him.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:34 PM
LordFletcher

The trade idea for Bouw seems a bit too bold, especially the timing of it on draft day. I would rather see Fletcher trade for current roster NHLer's after July 3rd.

Let's see how the draft and Parise / Suter shakedown.

The only trade I like Fletcher making on draft day round 1, is trading back if his guy isn't there.... trade back with a team in the top14 that can offer multi picks for the #7. Otherwise, grab your top prospect at #7

Old
06-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Wait, who thinks Reinhart will take 4-5 years to develop?

I'm just wondering what his development path would look like... Maybe one more year in the WHL, followed by a couple years in the AHL? I could see him taking some time to reach his potential (ala Hedman and A. Larsson), but I'm not sure he'll take 5 years to make an NHL roster.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:23 AM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Wait, who thinks Reinhart will take 4-5 years to develop?

I'm just wondering what his development path would look like... Maybe one more year in the WHL, followed by a couple years in the AHL? I could see him taking some time to reach his potential (ala Hedman and A. Larsson), but I'm not sure he'll take 5 years to make an NHL roster.
one more year with Oil Kings, another in the AHL and or might make an NHL roster by 2013-2014 due to his size and poise... I would bet my $ on 2014-2015 rookie year

Old
06-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Kari Takko

If we strike out on Parise, I could see us in the mix for Bobby Ryan. I don't know if we have the pieces to get him, but he'd fill a goal scoring void, and would look awfully nice on the wing opposite Granlund.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:11 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
If we strike out on Parise, I could see us in the mix for Bobby Ryan. I don't know if we have the pieces to get him, but he'd fill a goal scoring void, and would look awfully nice on the wing opposite Granlund.
No, Fletcher himself has stated that he's not going to blow a hole in our prospect pool just for the sake of making a trade or getting a better player. He wants to see what the prospects can do in the next year or two. When Fletcher has seen what each of them can do and has a few more solid prospects, that's when he'll pull the trigger on a big trade. He doesn't want to trade away a player without seeing what he can do first or else it could turn into a situation where that player turns out to be a star and Fletcher wonders what could've been had he hung on to him.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:15 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Ryan would probably cost this team quite a few prospects. On the plus side, he and Koivu could share sticks again.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:51 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
I'd love to have Ryan... But his price tag is so high.

Why can't we get lucky like Nashville & Anaheim did in 2003?

Old
06-19-2012, 03:21 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Damn near every team got lucky in 2003. Nashville's first two rounds were legendary. Philadelphia's.. er.. now LA's first round was also damn good.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:37 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Damn near every team got lucky in 2003. Nashville's first two rounds were legendary. Philadelphia's.. er.. now LA's first round was also damn good.
The best part about Smashville's first two rounds is that they took two people between Suter and Weber, Kevin Klein (who actually turned out to be a serviceable d-man) and Konstantin Glazachev (who?).

Old
06-19-2012, 09:40 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
LOL LA's first round + Philly's first round = Epic

LA got Dustin Brown and Brian Boyle

and then Mike Richards and Jeff Carter

LOL

Old
06-19-2012, 10:03 AM
nickschultzfan

If Murray is still on the board at #5, 7th overall and Clutterbuck to Toronto for #5 and something.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:06 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
If Murray is still on the board at #5, 7th overall and Clutterbuck to Toronto for #5 and something.
I don't see Murray available at 5, but this is something I could actually see happening if he was. I wouldn't mind either. I'd do the same trade if Galchenyuk was still available at 5, although the Leafs wouldn't.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:15 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
I don't see Murray available at 5, but this is something I could actually see happening if he was. I wouldn't mind either. I'd do the same trade if Galchenyuk was still available at 5, although the Leafs wouldn't.
Unless Galy and Forsberg and Grigs isn't there, Toronto isn't moving down from the 5th unless they get a 1st line center back.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:20 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Unless Galy and Forsberg and Grigs isn't there, Toronto isn't moving down from the 5th unless they get a 1st line center back.
In order for Murray to still be there, the first four pretty much have to be Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko and Forsberg. That is, unless someone really reaches. And moving down two spots to still be able to draft a center like Faksa (remember the top three centers are gone), but also get Clutterbuck in the deal, that's something they'd probably be interested in.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Heck yea.

Quote:
I doubt he drops that far. But stranger things have happened.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:25 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I doubt he drops that far. But stranger things have happened.
I see no way we get Galchenyuk unless we pay to move up to the top three, and even if we get the 3rd, it's still no better than a 50% chance. That being said, the furthest I see us moving up is to 5th, and that's only if Galchenyuk, Forsberg and Grigorenko are all gone, because if one is still there, we'll be staying at 7th.

There's no way Galchenyuk falls past 5th.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
I see no way we get Galchenyuk unless we pay to move up to the top three, and even if we get the 3rd, it's still no better than a 50% chance. That being said, the furthest I see us moving up is to 5th, and that's only if Galchenyuk, Forsberg and Grigorenko are all gone, because if one is still there, we'll be staying at 7th.

There's no way Galchenyuk falls past 5th.
I agree. I was more so alluding to the Murray won't drop that far. I should have been more specific.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:30 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Anything that values Clutterbuck at roughly two spots in the draft is a big NO from me. Even if it's within the top 10 of a draft. At the end of the day, I'm not willing to take that sort of a chance on what is likely a slight difference in terms of a prospect.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Anything that values Clutterbuck at roughly two spots in the draft is a big NO from me. Even if it's within the top 10 of a draft. At the end of the day, I'm not willing to take that sort of a chance on what is likely a slight difference in terms of a prospect.
completely agree.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:42 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I agree. I was more so alluding to the Murray won't drop that far. I should have been more specific.
Oh oops, my bad. But I can see him possibly falling to 5th if something like this happens.

1. Yakupov- obviously Edmonton doesn't pass on Nail here.
2. Forsberg/Galchenyuk- Columbus needs a forward with Nash leaving, they don't take Grigorenko because of the Russian factor.
3. Grigorenko/Galchenyuk/Forsberg- Montreal takes one of the two centers that Columbus didn't.
4. Reinhart/Dumba- The Isles decide they like the big body, more offensive guys better than Murray.

Then again, if Murray is available at 5th, I could see him falling to us at 7th.

5. Galchenyuk/Grigorenko/Forsberg- Toronto takes the last remaining "big three" center.
6. Reinhart/Dumba/Rielly- Anaheim also values the more offensive big guys (save Rielly, who isn't big) more than Murray.
7. Murray- Minnesota praises the Gods that he somehow pulled a Cam Fowler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Well we would be getting something back with the 5th too in nsf's deal, so it wouldn't be that bad, but if he does fall to 5th, trading up would be extra protection against Anaheim taking him, since they'll be looking for a defenseman if all three centers are gone.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I will sit here and not move, praying, if that was able to happen. Provided Murray doesn't have any terminal diseases, I don't see him falling that far. I also think teams would be singing a different song if hes at 5. I bet Anaheim would be all over him.

Closed Thread