HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Turning Down 4 1st Round Picks Wrong?

Old
02-29-2012, 12:49 PM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Habs fan here.

How exactly do you guys know what was offered? The ''insiders'' can barely break a completed deal and some how you have good knowledge of deals that could've been? I just don't buy it.
Niether do I but it doesn't matter. If it's negative press the fans here will run with it and quote it all to hell.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Niether do I but it doesn't matter. If it's negative press the fans here will run with it and quote it all to hell.
The GM said it on the radio. We supposed to ignore him?

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
montel*

The Leafs ruin every young prospect anyway.

montel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Not really. Under a different coach this team could be significantly better. Maybe the one for Mac. Its terrible asset management to sell Kulie and Schenn now for picks. Grabo I hope is resigned.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:52 PM
30Rinks
Go To A Leafs Game @

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
People over evaluate first rounders, sure they're nice to have but you don't blow up your team when you're this close to the playoffs for the first time in 6 seasons. Sorry but some people on these forums are too stupid. They think first rounders are guaranteed Stamkos' and Doughtey's all the time
I'm not sitting here saying 1st rounder = stamkos. I'm sitting here showing you actual statistics that say that nearly 20% of the 1st rounders from 10 years ago to 3 years ago have been in an NHL all star game.

That's a fact.

With 5 1st rounders, we'd theoretically have an NHL all star.

Burke himself says we need to build our core or we get drilled in the playoffs. I don't disagree.

We have SOLID forward depth coming up - Frattin, Colborne, Kadri, Ashton all look to be NHL players within 5 years. Ross, Olden, D'amigo, McKegg, Biggs could all be there as well.

Add to our solid NHL core for the next 5 years (all mid-20s) - Bozak, Kessel, Lupul.

We have an incredible amount of potential for 5 years from now. Addition to that right now by getting an even deeper cupboard of players lets them not only have players banging on the door, but they can bundle prospects for that cup run and get that final piece.

On D, we have Gunnar, Dion, Gardiner, Blacker, Percy, Holzer, Franson, Liles, going forward.

I'm really liking where this team could be in 3-5 years, but we need to take some gambles now instead of the annual 9th place finish!

30Rinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

My honest thoughts...

A first for Clarke MacArthur and Burke turned it down?... big mistake.

Clarke is not a core piece of this leafs team, nor should he be considered one. I figure his value at a 2nd or a late first... if you got offered that, take it and run.

Grabovski really depends... if Burke fully intends to sign Grabovski, than trading him is stupid... However if you do not sign Grabovski and he leaves via UFA, than not retaining assets is obviously a blunder... again, if you have to sign Grabovski to a contract that pays him 5 million + cap hit per year... I think trading him for a 1st would have been best.

Kulemin I am 50/50 on.... because he is RFA, and has had a down year... I believe you can sign him for 2-3 years at a very reasonable cap hit. If he finds his game from last year, than it's a steal. Not trading Kulemin was a good idea, unless it was a 1st rounder + in order to get overpayment, no point in trading.

I would hope more than just a 1st was offered for Schenn and what team as well... I wouldn't trade Schenn for a 1st straight up, he is better packaged to bring in a #1 center if your trading him...

Just my thoughts, you guys should have at least gotten 1 more 1st rounder in trading Clarke MacArthur... Grabovski is 50/50 on whether or not to trade (depends on July 1st)... Personally, having 3 first rounders in a very deep draft so maybe moving Grabovski would have made sense.

Either way, I think you should have gotten at least one 1st rounder to help the team for the long haul.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Schennanigans

Who know's if it's true. Half the stuff that Burke says is probably bs, he has to posture sometimes it's what he's good at. If a 1st was offered for MacArthur he probably should have taken it. MacArthur is not in the long term plans imo. Burke just didn't want to sell even if he should have.

Schennanigans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:59 PM
rj24

Trade 2 of them for firsts, then trade those 2 plus our first on draft day for Columbus's first, draft Nail. I wish...

rj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Defense

A 1st for MacArthur????

Kadri could have been called up to replace MacArthur's spot in the top 6 otherwise.

Just stupid.

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:07 PM
blueNwhite89

Wouldn't be mad seeing MacArthur go for a 1st. Kulemin on on the fence with though.. if it was a good pick I'd probably do it. As for Grabo I would have liked a 1st + at least a B prospect, and Schenn I don't want traded.

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:07 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

we can still make these trades for picks and that draft
except grabovsky

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:10 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Rinks View Post
I'm not sitting here saying 1st rounder = stamkos. I'm sitting here showing you actual statistics that say that nearly 20% of the 1st rounders from 10 years ago to 3 years ago have been in an NHL all star game.
Its not where you draft its who you draft and Detroit and Chicago has shown that. They would have been to contending teams, why would we help them out when we're in a hunt of our own? Trading away key pieces to a core thats STILL young would be foolish and only hurts our chances in the near future even more.

Theories are just theories, you can easily draft guys like Zherdev,Kostitson,Gagner,Turris,Eller,Voracek and those were early picks too not late first rounders. You're not going to get guys like Eberle often that late in the first round.

You get those draft picks and they'd be in past 20th place which wont help us all that much. If you look at drafts with players going that high , most of them aren't setting the league on fire.Eberle,Foligno,Del Zotto,Girioux. Those virtually it for top talent going late in the first. Even guys in the 6-15 its up in the air as well. Its not where you draft its who you draft.

I understand people want those phenoms but its just not going to happen in the later first rounds. Its a decent logic but if you dig deeper into who's been drafted, its hardly been that way in your theory

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

The guy on that list who'd move for a 1st is Mac. We probably got offered a conditional 1st, which is crap.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Center Ice Scrum

I would've loved to have gotten a 1st for Mac. Then roll with Crabby Joe on the 2nd line. Help the tank a little. As for the rest of the players it would have been moronic. We have a young Marlies squad filled with players who could be impactful for the Leafs by as soon as next season. Why force them to play in the TANK vs. letting them battle it out for a shot at the Calder cup? It would be bad for our current player development.

I would've been totally down with trading Mac for a 1st though. Even if it was a 20-30 pick. We could've used that pick to draft one of the goalies who are sure to fall in to late 1st round.

Center Ice Scrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:25 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
A 1st for MacArthur????

Kadri could have been called up to replace MacArthur's spot in the top 6 otherwise.

Just stupid.
I don't care but people love Kadri far too much and I think its becuase where he was drafted. He hasn't done ANYTHING when he gets called up. He has twice the amount of games on Colborne and only has 2 more points and had around 15 minutes of ice team on average.

Let him play but that doesn't mean hes gonna put up points.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Leafsman

What are the odds to draft 4 players/4 draft picks that will in 2-3 years be any better than the four players listed in 2-3 years?????

Schenn, Grabbs, Kulemin, Grabovski!

Guaranteed those were not high draft picks! One was conditional.

That woudl set this team back multiple years and carry a significant risk of it not paying off or having the exact same players but 3 years from now!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:32 PM
R3g0rZ
I cry your pardon

I would have taken a 1st for Kulemin

R3g0rZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Gberg

Well.. if we sign Parise in the off-season, then yeah, he made the right choice. If he had traded 4 key players off our roster and "rebuilt", it would be tough to market to Parise/Suter that we are "close" to competing in the playoffs

Gberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberg View Post
Well.. if we sign Parise in the off-season, then yeah, he made the right choice. If he had traded 4 key players off our roster and "rebuilt", it would be tough to market to Parise/Suter that we are "close" to competing in the playoffs
Leafs are getting Parise and Suter?

Old
02-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Leafs are getting Parise and Suter?
Of course we are. All the top FA's want to play here.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Erdinger

I would have taken a 1st for Schenn. Could have made amends for that scary contract they gave him.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Terrence
Homeless

vCash: 1026
We're in a battle for a playoff spot so no, turning down 4 first round picks was not a bad idea.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

That be pretty sick, having 5 1st round picks this year, and it increase the value of our picks

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
We're in a battle for a playoff spot so no, turning down 4 first round picks was not a bad idea.
Exactly. Rebuild is done now is time to go on a run.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:54 PM
BraveCanadian

Yes.

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote