HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Turning Down 4 1st Round Picks Wrong?

Old
02-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Edgeworth*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
This !!

Dreger spits out whatever message the leafs want to get out to the fans . This guy's Nonis's lap dog and has zero credibility .
This was the wrong message to send though. "HEy we could get 4 1st round picks"

You just gave a ton of ammo to reporters. If the LEafs don't make the playoffs (they look like they wont) you're gonna have what 10 different beat reporters + radio guys + newspaper writers all comign at you saying "WELL WHY DIDNT YOU TAKE THE PICKS LOOK AT THIS TEAM IT CLEARLY WASNT WORTH ****"

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:37 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
This !!

Dreger spits out whatever message the leafs want to get out to the fans . This guy's Nonis's lap dog and has zero credibility .
Not to mention, there was NO talk about 1st round picks being offered for these guys ALL day..and then all of a sudden conveniently enough.."Leafs were offered not 1 but 4 first round picks and they turned it down."

I just don't buy it.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:39 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
This was the wrong message to send though. "HEy we could get 4 1st round picks"

You just gave a ton of ammo to reporters. If the LEafs don't make the playoffs (they look like they wont) you're gonna have what 10 different beat reporters + radio guys + newspaper writers all comign at you saying "WELL WHY DIDNT YOU TAKE THE PICKS LOOK AT THIS TEAM IT CLEARLY WASNT WORTH ****"
I agree with you. Knowing our fan base, this is gonna keep us in the "what could have been" loop all year long.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Shak19

We should have taken the picks.

Even if we made the playoffs, as Burke has said, we would get our butts kicked in the first round, so it was a big mistake to not get those draft picks! Also, the extra cap space would have been nice.

Shak19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Shak19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
Not to mention, there was NO talk about 1st round picks being offered for these guys ALL day..and then all of a sudden conveniently enough.."Leafs were offered not 1 but 4 first round picks and they turned it down."

I just don't buy it.
If Gaustad could get a 1st, its safe to say Mac, Grabo, Kule, Schenn all can get that.

Shak19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:47 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shak19 View Post
If Gaustad could get a 1st, its safe to say Mac, Grabo, Kule, Schenn all can get that.
I'm not questioning the value of our players, i'm questioning the credibility of Dreger in this instance.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:14 PM
DionPhaneuf3

No. This draft is supposed to be decent but it would only set the 'rebuild' further back. I might've traded 1 player for a first round pick if i was burke, but no way any more than that. We need all the talent we can get for today.

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:16 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

late 20th round picks for kulemin, grabo and schenn are terrible return.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:17 PM
JamieG

Mr Damien Cox is saying they were offered a 1st rounder for Reimer, not Macarthur.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Zack Kassian

close!

Zack Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Vexxed14

Even if we were thinking about the draft more than the playoffs this year, making all of those trades would be silly. I wouldn't be moving players signed to good term at good prices or players under 25.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:53 PM
BlamBlam

Grabovski for a 1st is better than nothing and it ensures Toronto's first is even higher. How could you not do that?

BlamBlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Dirty Dan
Saturday Night Lupul

Keep grabo , kuli, schenn, maybe mac

Dirty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:17 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
I agree with you. Knowing our fan base, this is gonna keep us in the "what could have been" loop all year long.
Until the Leafs start winning and make the playoffs, this is all we have. "What could have been" has to remain that, what could have been. The posters who were warning that the Leafs early season performance (while looking pretty bad) couldn't last were called trolls and haters.

That said, this is hard to take. Even I need some of Dyrnehab's unbridled optimism right about now.

We've been living with the "we're the youngest team in the league" and "Burke had nothing to start with" loop for so long I think some have forgotten that JFJ had more success to date than Burke has.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:18 AM
mcleex

vCash: 608
Should have traded MacArthur for a 1st then combined that 1st with our 1st for like a top 3 pick in the draft (assuming we don't already get one ... but knowing this team they will finish 9th place 1 point out of 8th and get a mediocre pick)

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
If first round picks are being offered around that frequently then chances are the draft isn't very good.
This draft is BOOM or BUST

With soooo many Euro's and D this draft could be either really good or really bad... I'm sure there will be 2/3 top 10 picks that won't play more then 100 games in the NHL.

You know it's a different draft when not 1 scout i have talked to or have read a mock draft from has a Canadian forward in the Top 10!!!

B. Gaunce will probably be the 1st Canadian forward selected and he is suppose to be in the 12-15 range. After Gaunce the next Canadian forward might not be selected till the 2nd round!!!

If you look at drafts in the past (30 teams) it has never happened that only 1 Canadian forward was selected in the 1st round...

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:37 AM
MrLegend28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
I'd recommend taking a look over this article if you want to get an idea of the value of a draft pick. It was written in 2009 and encompasses the 1994-2004 drafts.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=267960
and this means what? Komisarek is a "best" in top 6-10 picks and right now everyone in Toronto wants to ship him out. Also Phaneuf is there...

MrLegend28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:16 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

I can't decide who's stupider here, Burke for holding on to all these declining assets, or the posters here who think it's an awesome idea to keep all these crap players who can't get the job done.

Seriously, who in his right freaking mind would turn down a first for Kulemin? Last year was a crazy fluke. And if Burke keeps Grabo for $5 mil a season, he's bananas. He'll settle in at about 45 points a season, and have no impact on the team beyond his points. That's not a true second-line centre.

Burke really has built an awful team. After all the trades, all the searches for players outside the system, and all the bluster, the bottom line is that the Leafs do not have a single player to build around. Not a one.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Einzakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGillForever View Post
I can't decide who's stupider here, Burke for holding on to all these declining assets, or the posters here who think it's an awesome idea to keep all these crap players who can't get the job done.

Seriously, who in his right freaking mind would turn down a first for Kulemin? Last year was a crazy fluke. And if Burke keeps Grabo for $5 mil a season, he's bananas. He'll settle in at about 45 points a season, and have no impact on the team beyond his points. That's not a true second-line centre.

Burke really has built an awful team. After all the trades, all the searches for players outside the system, and all the bluster, the bottom line is that the Leafs do not have a single player to build around. Not a one.
You would rather a 20-30th pick that Kulemin? Cmon now man think about what you just said.

Einzakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Does anyone remotely think that he could just be catering to the fan base to keep their hopes up on still making the playoffs? I don't believe Burke one bit.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:55 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Until the Leafs start winning and make the playoffs, this is all we have. "What could have been" has to remain that, what could have been. The posters who were warning that the Leafs early season performance (while looking pretty bad) couldn't last were called trolls and haters.

That said, this is hard to take. Even I need some of Dyrnehab's unbridled optimism right about now.

We've been living with the "we're the youngest team in the league" and "Burke had nothing to start with" loop for so long I think some have forgotten that JFJ had more success to date than Burke has.
I feel sorry for Dyn , even he can't spin this losing streak .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:58 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
If only the lifespan could be that short!

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:12 AM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGillForever View Post

It looks like you need to understand the numbers.

First, let's dissect who would want the KGM line. Most likely contenders so they fall between 20th and 30th pick. So Let's say we draft a forward. The forward will take about 3-4 years developing and finally we have a player that is exactly like Kulemin. 25/25 type of guy. It simply isn't worth the risk and the waiting for draft pick to pan out. Heck, even Kadri 7th overall pick has a hard time beating guys like Kulemin.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:40 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Does anyone remotely think that he could just be catering to the fan base to keep their hopes up on still making the playoffs? I don't believe Burke one bit.
It's a message to the players that "Look at what I passed up on because I believe in you. Now it's time to pay this organization back by performing". Smart move by Burke and his PR rep Dreger by putting that out there IMO.

If Kulemin and Grabovski continue their no show performances they won't be back. Grabo will walk and Kulemin will be traded. Given the lack of top notch UFA's Grabovski will cash in at an enormous salary that Burke can then use to justify not re-signing him. Kulemin will be part of some bigger package that will make fans forget about his potential (bringing in toughness). In his eyes it will be a throw in just to get him out of TO.

Last edited by JackJ: 03-01-2012 at 03:50 AM.
JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:42 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Burke never should have said he was offered four first round picks.
burke can't keep his mouth shut.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote