HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

could we be bad enough to get a top 5 pick?

Old
02-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Rude Dog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Crazy View Post
I'd laugh if the Leafs and Habs are tied going into the last game of the season. Both teams' fans would be rooting for their bitter rivals.
Too funny. I can just see it. Hab fans chanting "Go Leafs Go"... Leaf fans chanting "Ole Ole Ole" to themselves. Gomez and Komi getting hat-tricks. We just need to make sure Deveraux doesn't come out of retirement.

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:38 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
I didn't think Carolina or Buffalo would be able to make up 3 games on the Leafs in 19 games, but anything is possible.
Definitely possible because of the amount of games we play against teams currently below us.

Sat Mar 3, 2012 - Toronto @ Montréal
Thu Mar 15, 2012 - Toronto @ Tampa Bay
Tue Mar 20, 2012 - NY Islanders @ Toronto
Tue Mar 27, 2012 - Carolina @ Toronto
Sat Mar 31, 2012 - Buffalo @ Toronto
Tue Apr 3, 2012 - Toronto @ Buffalo
Thu Apr 5, 2012 - Tampa Bay @ Toronto
Sat Apr 7, 2012 - Toronto @ Montréal

If Wilson stays then its a lock. If Gordon takes over they may go on a useless late season push again.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Beleafer4

I get the feeling that somehow this team will not be able to do that

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Homebrew76

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchdrunk88 View Post
To be fair though that was a bad selection by Montreal when you look at the rest of the draft.

11 Jeff Carter (Centre)
13 Dustin Brown (Right Wing)
14 Brent Seabrook (Defence)
17 Zach Parise (Centre)
19 Ryan Getzlaf (Centre)
20 Brent Burns (Defence)
23 Ryan Kesler (Centre)
24 Mike Richards (Centre)
28 Corey Perry (Right Wing)
33 Loui Eriksson (Left Wing)
45 Patrice Bergeron (Centre)
49 Shea Weber (Defence)
62 David Backes (Right Wing)
True, that is 13 top notch players drafted in the 52 spots after the 10 top that year, though none were ranked as high as Kostystin going into that draft.

Once you get past the top few picks, you are pretty much crossing your fingers that your pick turns into a player like one of these guys. I'm sure Montreal had higher hopes for their #10 pick than St. Louis did for Backes at 62!'

Whats the chances the Leafs will find a Bergeron/Weber/Backes in the second round? Of course player development/coaching has as much to do with it as picking the right player does. Luck also has to play into it... just at Detroit with Zetterburg!

What was the original question? Oh yeah... .any confidence that the Leafs will not mess up their first round pick, and should they have taken the trades for first rounders and potentially tried to use them to move up to the first couple picks.

Homebrew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Since the lockout, this team has won when we needed to lose and lost when we needed to win. The only thing consistent about our play is our propensity to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:59 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Players drafted as centers in the Top 5 between 2002-2012:

Eric Staal, Horton, Malkin, Crosby, Jordan Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, Turris, Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn, Seguin, Johansen, Nuegent-Hopkins, Strome, Huberdeau.

Only one flop so far: Turris. Jordan Staal, though he is not a first line C, is a very valuable piece.
Evander Kane wasn't drafted as a centre, and I don't believe Horton was either, although Horton can play centre.

Nonetheless, I understand, and agree with, the purpose and premise of this post.

91Kadri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:04 PM
LeaffanDM

if we get into the top 5, and say edmonton wins the lottery. if i was burke i would do anything i could to get that #1.

LeaffanDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Leafs03

If Edm wins the lottery, we could do something like

Our first,(top 6-9) and Blacker,2nd for first overall. Id do it!!

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I could see the Leafs falling as low as #6 in the draft. Based on that projection the draft could go something like this:

1. Yakupov - Columbus
2. Grigorenko/Galchenyuk - Montreal
3. Murray/Dumba - Edmonton
4. Murray/Dumba - New York
5. Grigorenko/Galchenyuk/Forsberg - Carolina
---------------------------------------------
6. Grigorenko/Galchenyuk/Forsberg - Toronto

I'd be ok with any of those three guys with personal preference leaning towards Galchenyuk. Problem is, if Anaheim or Buffalo finish below us it all but guarantees non of the big-3 forwards will be left for our pick.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Personally, I'm pretty sold on both Grigorenko and Galchenyuk, more so than Gaunce.

Galchenyuk looked real good in the OHL last year, too bad he missed this year with the knee injury, but he should be fully recovered soon. 6'2", is the kind of puck possession center we've needed for ages, can pass and score, good skater, high end skill set in general, what's not to like? If you're worried about the Russian factor, he was born in Milwaukee, grew up in a number of different places around the world (as his dad was a pro hockey player), and moved back to North America about 3 years ago specifically so he could play junior and major junior hockey here. I really don't think there should be any concern about him leaving to play in the KHL, he seems very focused on playing in the NHL.

Grigorenko looks very, very good too, great size, great vision, great shot, high skill level, very patient and can slow the game down. I don't think he's going to be nearly as dominant as Malkin, but he plays a similar style of game, but without Malkin's explosive speed (more of a Thornton/Getzlaf level skater). I doubt we have a shot at drafting Grigoreko, he should be a top 2-3 pick IMO, but I do think he's a pretty excellent prospect, just as I think Galchenyuk is a pretty damn good prospect too. No, they aren't Ovy/Malkin level prospects, but they could both be legit 1st line NHL centers in the future, and I'd be ecstatic to draft either one. Gaunce looks like more of a #2/#3 to me.
With that considered, I certainly wouldn't mind Galchenyuk, I like the fact he's worldly with different cultural influences and not just the Russian mindset. It would also help that he speaks good English, as does Nail, as well as Russian obviously. So his integration into the league should be helped by that.

I really want this kid though

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:34 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
What would we have to add to a 6/7 (just estimating that's where we land) to get them to move down??
Good question. I'm sure when the time comes around to it, Burke will be all over that. He seems to have a pretty good idea of every team's organizational depth (including their prospects), so if anyone can make it work, he could.

We may end up shipping Mac or one of the others who were rumoured to be worth a 1st rounder, and use the two first round picks, augment our pick with someone like Mikus (he'd need to get some NHL showcasing time) or even a Schenn. Some may say Mikus may not be worth all that much, but if he can show that he's NHL ready, and is reasonably reliable, it may raise his stakes.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Flowseidon
Compton

We could definitely get Brendan Gaunce with that pick

Flowseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
If the Oilers and Isles were to take D-men, they won't do it with the 2nd and 3rd overall pick. They'll trade down, and take 2 defensemen in the top 15.
This for sure. Oilers will take Grigorenko if he is available. If we draft 3rd then it's Dumba/Murray. Would be shocked if we draft a D with one of the big 2 Russians on the board.

Hopkins to Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 1723
When can teams trade again? I can't remember how much time teams have to trade before the draft

Thee Implication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
david999

I would never have hoped for the Leafs not to make a playoff run, but it is obvious they are in a free fall
right now. I predict they finish with 76 points based on their schedule. unless something drastic happens to shake them out of this funk (like a coaching Change) they will likely keep playing brutal hockey.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:45 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Good question. I'm sure when the time comes around to it, Burke will be all over that. He seems to have a pretty good idea of every team's organizational depth (including their prospects), so if anyone can make it work, he could.

We may end up shipping Mac or one of the others who were rumoured to be worth a 1st rounder, and use the two first round picks, augment our pick with someone like Mikus (he'd need to get some NHL showcasing time) or even a Schenn. Some may say Mikus may not be worth all that much, but if he can show that he's NHL ready, and is reasonably reliable, it may raise his stakes.
I could see the Oilers asking for our 1st + Schenn.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:46 AM
TonyTML88

One loss down, 11 more to go!

After another disappointing loss, the likelihood of a top 5 pick becomes more and more realistic. If we lose to the Habs on Saturday, this could turn really ugly in a hurry. As much as I hate the Habs, they would pull within 5 points of us (possibly 3 if they win tonight agains the Wild), anybody else hoping for a Leaf loss on Saturday?

TonyTML88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

This draft sucks outside the top 3-4 anyways.

Personally, I'd like to see Burke trade down and grab two picks in the 20-40 range in exchange for whatever pick we end up with.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
whitera

yes, we can lose all our games.

whitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:02 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

6th. looks very reasonable based on how they've been playing for about 3 weeks.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:04 AM
robr00

This shouldn't be a discussion.

The Leafs need to find themselves in the playoffs or need to try to finish as low as possible. Finishing 9th is a waste of time.

I'm rooting for either incredible success or dismal failure.

robr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:06 AM
TonyTML88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo19 View Post
This draft sucks outside the top 3-4 anyways.

Personally, I'd like to see Burke trade down and grab two picks in the 20-40 range in exchange for whatever pick we end up with.
The idea here is to get into the top 5 for a chance to win the lottery or have the ability to trade into the top 3-4 to grab one of Yak/Grig/Gal

TonyTML88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:26 AM
trickster

A top five pick would be just what the doctor ordered... Given the number of defensemen at the top of this draft, even a top 10 pick would be helpful. I doubt the Leafs would select a defenseman, and I can't see them being able to get one of Yakupov, Forsberg, Grigorenko, or Galchenyuk, so they'll have a chance to trade down a couple picks (if in the 5-10 range) and still have a chance to get the forward they want in the 10-15 range (Faksa, Collberg, Teravianen, Aberg).
Sadly, that 2nd tier of forwards are nothing more than organizational depth in the short term... There is no help there for next season. Actually, the forwards seem to be fairly uninspiring after the top 4.
Maybe they would use the pick on a defenseman...

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:28 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
A top five pick would be just what the doctor ordered... Given the number of defensemen at the top of this draft, even a top 10 pick would be helpful. I doubt the Leafs would select a defenseman, and I can't see them being able to get one of Yakupov, Forsberg, Grigorenko, or Galchenyuk, so they'll have a chance to trade down a couple picks (if in the 5-10 range) and still have a chance to get the forward they want in the 10-15 range (Faksa, Collberg, Teravianen, Aberg).
Sadly, that 2nd tier of forwards are nothing more than organizational depth in the short term... There is no help there for next season. Actually, the forwards seem to be fairly uninspiring after the top 4.
Maybe they would use the pick on a defenseman...

One of the top forwards could easily fall if this draft plays out like 2008.

Just select someone who can skate and has above average IQ.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:03 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=388658

risers and fallers.

Quote:
Teuvo Teravainen: Scouts are raving about his performance at the recent U-18 Five Nations Cup in Pori Finland. Teravainen led the tournament with six goals and two assists in three games against strong competition, impressing scouts with his offensive capabilities and overall sense for the game. "He could be special," said one scout. "He plays off of his smarts. Good defensively. He could be the best player in the draft because of his smarts. He's got everything going for him except he's not very big."