HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

could we be bad enough to get a top 5 pick?

Old
03-09-2012, 09:55 AM
TonyTML88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
Understand tanking very well.

What I don't understand are the supposed "fans" posting how happy they are in the GDT each time the other team scores. I can embrace the draft position, but I'm not happy about it at all.
I do agree with this. I never "cheer" when the other team scores. But to be honest, I actually do hope they lose during the games. I have been a leaf fan all of my life, and I pay for tons of merchandise, I pay hundreds to go watch their games. I love hockey and I am as big a Leaf fan as they come. But this past month has been the most depressing month to be a Leaf fan that I can remember. They were finally going to make the playoffs, this was the turning point in Brian Burkes Leaf career. We were finally turning a new leaf and were about to become constant playoff contenders for at least a few years, all while getting a bit older/wiser, more experienced, and Burke was going to add the missing pieces to become a true contender over the next couple of seasons. Toronto had a decent hockey team again! But than the wheels feel off. This has been the worst stretch of hockey I have ever witnessed. The leafs are again a joke in this league, and again will miss the playoffs, and seriously, this puts a big dent in "Burke's plan" (even though I think Burke's plan is not very good). This team is in shambles.

So, with all this said, what would make this season slightly easier to swallow? A top-5 pick, and the potential to draft an elite talent. If this team finishes between 7-14 position, this team would be destroyed. The city would be devastated. We would be in a very bad situation. So, IMO, i think tanking is the only way to save Burke's team. We NEED a high draft pick this year to save this season from being one of the worst in recent memory. I know it isn't up to us fans what happens the rest of the season, but seriously, every Leaf fan needs to think straight for a moment and swallow their pride for this season, winning 8 of 15 games down the stretch is a recipe for disaster

TonyTML88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:01 AM
kesleaf

I pray to god that we do end up in the bottom 5. I want my #1C this year, that is all.

kesleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:03 AM
thebigbea

sucks for the leafs.. always miss the playoff but not near last places to get some top draft picks.. unlike edmonton, tanking every season and loading up on top prospects..

thebigbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I feel the same. I want to see the boys in Blue hit the ice flying, and I don't cheer for us to lose AT ALL. The tank is like a pillow full of pebbles. It's there to catch my head from the fall, but it still hurts like hell.
Very creative and somewhat apt. It's almost sublime hehehe

So many posters are hoping for a top five pick. There are no guarantees here. The team has to be bad enough to get there (so far they have been ). Even then, only the top one or two players are usually elite enough to step into the line-up and make a difference. Top 3 in a deep draft, but rare.

I can see a top 5 pick being less of a gamble than a 7-10 pick, for become an NHLer, but I figure we have no hope of drafting top one or two. So no matter where we draft this summer, that prospect's gonna end up in the AHL for a few seasons.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesleaf View Post
I pray to god that we do end up in the bottom 5. I want my #1C this year, that is all.
Well I really doubt he'd be stepping in next season, the only guy that could realistically step in is Yakupov and obviously CBJ has that locked up. IMO, this is a bad year for us to suck enough to be in the bottom 5 of the league, which is a real piss off

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbea View Post
sucks for the leafs.. always miss the playoff but not near last places to get some top draft picks.. unlike edmonton, tanking every season and loading up on top prospects..
Ya, like another HF poster said, we need to be swimming (playoffs) or sinking (top 5 pick). None of this floating BS.

Eb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
hogtownhabsfan*

I don't think you guys will get a shot at the big 4 forwards, but Gaunce could be a leaf and he'd complement Grabovski as a #2B of sorts. In fcat Gaunce is the guy I hope the Habs take if we're picking 7th or 8th.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbea View Post
And yet they still suck. Goes to show you a rebuild isn't just about drafting high.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:10 AM
thebigbea

Quote:
And yet they still suck. Goes to show you a rebuild isn't just about drafting high.
cause they don't have goalie and dmen... that's why they keep tanking and try to get more dmen or trade some of their top players for a solid one.. still don't understand why they resign hemsky.. could have traded him for a top 4 dmen.. when you look at edmonton defense, it's a joke..

thebigbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:12 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I don't think you guys will get a shot at the big 4 forwards, but Gaunce could be a leaf and he'd complement Grabovski as a #2B of sorts. In fcat Gaunce is the guy I hope the Habs take if we're picking 7th or 8th.
The last thing we need is a 2b complimentary forward. I want MacArthur out of here because that's all he is, a complimentary winger

Old
03-09-2012, 10:13 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
The last thing we need is a 2b complimentary forward. I want MacArthur out of here because that's all he is, a complimentary winger
Gunce has some upside in him though. He kinda reminds me of Getzlaf...

If I were to put money on it today, I'd put money on Gaunce being a Leaf.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
It's not really out of the question. The Leafs are only 2 points out of the 4th pick and are currently sitting in the 6th spot.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Busher Jackson
4x 1st Team Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Players drafted as centers in the Top 5 between 2002-2012:

Eric Staal, Horton, Malkin, Crosby, Jordan Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, Turris, Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn, Seguin, Johansen, Nuegent-Hopkins, Strome, Huberdeau.

Only one flop so far: Turris. Jordan Staal, though he is not a first line C, is a very valuable piece.
Turris is not a flop. He has been terrific for the Sens. They have gone 22-10-4 since the trade.

Busher Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:18 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Gunce has some upside in him though. He kinda reminds me of Getzlaf...

If I were to put money on it today, I'd put money on Gaunce being a Leaf.
I'd actually rather him than Grigorenko just because I'm scared away with the reports of him lacking desire and compete. Yakupov has it in spades, but I don't want Grigo if he's just a sublimely skilled player that glides around the ice waiting for the puck to be passed onto his stick-- we've got that in Kessel

Old
03-09-2012, 10:19 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
It's not really out of the question. The Leafs are only 2 points out of the 4th pick and are currently sitting in the 6th spot.
The tank force is strong with alot of the teams you are "chasing" though. Gaunce is a hell of a conoslation prize, I really think he's the steal of the draft. A guy who goes in the 8-15 range that should have gone top 5.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
The tank force is strong with alot of the teams you are "chasing" though. Gaunce is a hell of a conoslation prize, I really think he's the steal of the draft. A guy who goes in the 8-15 range that should have gone top 5.
Well with 2 wins in the last 14, I think we got ourselves a 'tank' race here. I am hoping we can get one of those 4 forwards and if not maybe take one of the D available? Draft day should be interesting.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Goes to show it does not happen only after 2 drafts, anymore opinions?

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Very creative and somewhat apt. It's almost sublime hehehe

So many posters are hoping for a top five pick. There are no guarantees here. The team has to be bad enough to get there (so far they have been ). Even then, only the top one or two players are usually elite enough to step into the line-up and make a difference. Top 3 in a deep draft, but rare.

I can see a top 5 pick being less of a gamble than a 7-10 pick, for become an NHLer, but I figure we have no hope of drafting top one or two. So no matter where we draft this summer, that prospect's gonna end up in the AHL for a few seasons.
There are no guarantees the way BB has tried it either.

No hope of 1 or 2?, it's called lotto balls. Ask CHI fans how that works.

And we care why if we take our time grooming stud prospects? See DET fans on that front.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:41 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
Well with 2 wins in the last 14, I think we got ourselves a 'tank' race here. I am hoping we can get one of those 4 forwards and if not maybe take one of the D available? Draft day should be interesting.
As a fan of a team that has been in tank mode for a good majority of the season, I break down the top 8 as so:

1. Yakupov- The clear blue chip star in the draft who should be a 40 goal first line winger pretty quickly in the NHL.
2. Grigorenko- Pretty much a Jason Spezza clone, but the production has slowed because of an ankle injury and questions of his work ethic have come out. I think he's a legit PPG two way 1st line center though, and is damn close to a blue chipper.
3. Galchenyuk- plays center for the Sting, but ultimately I think he ends up a goal scoring power right winger who excels on the power play. Could be a 40/40 type, more likely a 35/35 type. needs to show he's healthy upon his return from his knee injury.
4. Matthew Dumba- Pretty much a PK Subban clone, but further developed on draft day though needs to put on weight big time. Might take a few years to reach the bigs, but could be a star.
5. Ryan Murray- He's a pure #2 type dman IMO, a defensive minded play it safe defenseman who has great PP skills.
6. Filip Forsberg- A wildcard who is probably the most explosive of the big forwards in this draft. Tons of tools, but a few more question marks, but highly though of Swedes generally pan out.
7. Jacob Trouba- Don't know too much about him, but from what I understand similar to Murray but with a little more size but perhaps more raw.
8. Brendan Gaunce- a top 6 forward with great toughness and size, and could be a late bloomer and has offensive upside. His skating needs work, but he's a great athlete and has underrated skills. I see a little Getzlaf in him, and at worst will be a great 40-50 point number 2 center.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Happy Fan
one big happy family

Man, the new CBA really ruined HF.

Happy Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:51 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

The thing is, the Leafs aren't really a bad team talent wise. They just have a number of players who are playing badly. That's a big difference. Right now they are picking in 6th place, 2 points "out" of 4th. They aren't bad enough to be last overall but might slip to 3rd, depending on what Montreal does.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
As a fan of a team that has been in tank mode for a good majority of the season, I break down the top 8 as so:

1. Yakupov- The clear blue chip star in the draft who should be a 40 goal first line winger pretty quickly in the NHL.
2. Grigorenko- Pretty much a Jason Spezza clone, but the production has slowed because of an ankle injury and questions of his work ethic have come out. I think he's a legit PPG two way 1st line center though, and is damn close to a blue chipper.
3. Galchenyuk- plays center for the Sting, but ultimately I think he ends up a goal scoring power right winger who excels on the power play. Could be a 40/40 type, more likely a 35/35 type. needs to show he's healthy upon his return from his knee injury.
4. Matthew Dumba- Pretty much a PK Subban clone, but further developed on draft day though needs to put on weight big time. Might take a few years to reach the bigs, but could be a star.
5. Ryan Murray- He's a pure #2 type dman IMO, a defensive minded play it safe defenseman who has great PP skills.
6. Filip Forsberg- A wildcard who is probably the most explosive of the big forwards in this draft. Tons of tools, but a few more question marks, but highly though of Swedes generally pan out.
7. Jacob Trouba- Don't know too much about him, but from what I understand similar to Murray but with a little more size but perhaps more raw.
8. Brendan Gaunce- a top 6 forward with great toughness and size, and could be a late bloomer and has offensive upside. His skating needs work, but he's a great athlete and has underrated skills. I see a little Getzlaf in him, and at worst will be a great 40-50 point number 2 center.
you realize your opinion or HF's opinion and the love fest for Galchenyuk on HF won't go the same for what NHL teams think we're he rated at around 5-7. Edmonton will draft a defencemen, I don't see any possible scenario where they don't. Same thing with Minnessota, can you actually name 4 names from that defence?

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
SarcazemKadri

I can see us having a top 5 pick, with Galy still available and Burke taking Gaunce..

Then I will fully be convinced Burke has a hard on for truculence.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
SHoot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagshaw View Post
I can see us having a top 5 pick, with Galy still available and Burke taking Gaunce..

Then I will fully be convinced Burke has a hard on for truculence.
such a hard on that we have zero truculence in our top 9

SHoot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:43 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
you realize your opinion or HF's opinion and the love fest for Galchenyuk on HF won't go the same for what NHL teams think we're he rated at around 5-7. Edmonton will draft a defencemen, I don't see any possible scenario where they don't. Same thing with Minnessota, can you actually name 4 names from that defence?
Ask yourself a question:

Are you arguing with me because you are hoping he's there when the leafs pick?

Trust me, his skillset will be very desirable on draft day, especially if he can come back and show his knee is fine which he is scheduled to do...