HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

So we are going to be drafting a potential franchise player this summer (Tank Talk)

Old
02-29-2012, 08:29 PM
missthenet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I don't know why we are talking about this now, the playoffs were pretty much out of the question before the All Star Break and the fact that we were one of the worst teams in October, that did not help either.

I am really looking forward to the draft lottery on TSN in April! Very excited to land a franchise player, possibly the next Guy Lafleur.
Hopefully we will have someone to protect him and Gallagher!

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I'm really terrified that we are going to screw this up and end up coming 4th or 5th (last, I mean first, I mean last). I am a very very big fan, but I think we can all agree that not wanting to see us land that huge impact player on draft day given the current circumstance is somewhat counter to wanting this team to win. It's just posturing at this point. I've been cheering for the playoffs even when we were 12 pts out. Then we let the 6 pt gap increase...

Anyway, I am very excited about the prospect of a great prospect although I do think we made a mistake with AK. Should have kept him, but we can debate that elsewhere (just saying, I actually liked our team this year, just a lot of bad luck and crap personal seasons).

Now...if we can only continue to do what we have done all season, I think at least we can pat ourselves on the back for being consistent. Pitt managed to do this WITH Lemieux and Crosby!!! It would be an absolute shame to let this go. The players aren't going to try to lose, in fact many will be playing to impress for next year. This is where Kabs and Campoli can save us and yeah, I think the Habs can stop playing Price in every game since he's basically missed, what, 6 games? Anyone accusing us of trying to tank, I quite don't care since they've all had their day in the sun.

Re: the top 5 likely to be taken -- who do you guys think will be NHL ready next year if any? Seems like we're going to have a VERY young and inexperienced bunch but perhaps the right mix. Also, if would you guys prefer Grigs or Nail given we do have some solid centers (anti-jinx on not getting a good pick)? I hear a lot of people talking about Forsburg or some of the others. Thoughts?
Nothing special about Plekanec and Eller, not cup winning quality centers. Plekanec is a goner within the next two years. We really need an elite center with size

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:36 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Thank you PG

Had we kept Martin he probably would be sitting in 8th right now. This organization owe's Randy Cunneyworth a lot for the work he has done.
Bull ****.

You really think that our soft Gauthier defense would have done better with Martin? Wow.

Gill, Kaberle, Weber, Diaz and Campoli getting significant playing time for any NHL team will enable a finish close to the bottom.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:51 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Nothing special about Plekanec and Eller, not cup winning quality centers. Plekanec is a goner within the next two years. We really need an elite center with size
While I do see the problem with having all these centers, it is precisely because I think they are all very competent. Can we put you down for Eller and Plekanec not having good years next year? Just for the record? I'd like to win a Cup with them and I think we certainly can. We've always needed a shutdown centerman. Pleks is the one for the upcoming Cup. Also Eller is the bomb. I know even when he does have a great season you'll bash him, but you know, let's at least have it on record.

Bolded part is either (or both) Grigorenko or Eller.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:54 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Henri Richard turned 18 today.. He eligible for the draft?

LaurentHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:55 PM
JohnLennon

I just want to save many of you the heartbreak: Just because we may be drafting high, it doesn't guarantee we draft a player who ever even ends up playing in the NHL. We may be drafting high, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee us a star player or anything.

Don't expect the world just because we finished low for the first time in years.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:03 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Professional players don't tank. No tank is going on, and I'm sure every player is trying to win every game. That being said, I'm sure the intensity isn't the same as if they were fighting for a playoff spot. Little things like not diving infront of a slapper, or making a pokecheck instead of a monster hit, or whatever. Also, there's no need to try and tank. The team sucked its way to this point, they're just still sucking.

I'm not expecting a franchise player. Not saying there's not a good chance we get one, but for every Malkin, Nash, Kane, etc. there's going to be Wickinheiser, Daigle, Stefan, or even guys like Ladd who are good, but not franchise cornerstones. I'm not sure well versed on this year's draft, but until I see him perform great with the CH, I won't have my hopes up.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:06 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I just want to save many of you the heartbreak: Just because we may be drafting high, it doesn't guarantee we draft a player who ever even ends up playing in the NHL. We may be drafting high, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee us a star player or anything.

Don't expect the world just because we finished low for the first time in years.
I am going for universe instead.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:23 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Bull ****.

You really think that our soft Gauthier defense would have done better with Martin? Wow.

Gill, Kaberle, Weber, Diaz and Campoli getting significant playing time for any NHL team will enable a finish close to the bottom.

we did have a better record with JM, and the D wasnt much different that it is now...

with the same group, JM had us close to 8th... now we're 15th...

I know you dont want to admit it since you hate the guy, but reality is, when it comes to coaching JM is MILES AHEAD of Connie...

I mean...
Geoffrion-Plekanec-White...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
we did have a better record with JM, and the D wasnt much different that it is now...

with the same group, JM had us close to 8th... now we're 15th...

I know you dont want to admit it since you hate the guy, but reality is, when it comes to coaching JM is MILES AHEAD of Connie...

I mean...
Geoffrion-Plekanec-White...
If you think we would have been so much better with JM then you have some serious issues. The blown third periods were there with JM. He was barely hanging on with his stupid defense first when you get the lead. Regardless of who was coaching this team you would be getting the same results.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Lions999

I would love to have another pick in the top 12. Would it be possible to trade second round pick in 2012 and 1 second round pick in 2013 for another 1st rounder in the top 12 this year.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:52 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
I would love to have another pick in the top 12. Would it be possible to trade second round pick in 2012 and 1 second round pick in 2013 for another 1st rounder in the top 12 this year.
I can see Gauthier doing that trade, even though Timmins is trying to convince him otherwise... the end result - we finish in last place in 2013 and our 2012 12th pick ends up being a bust.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:02 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
If you think we would have been so much better with JM then you have some serious issues. The blown third periods were there with JM. He was barely hanging on with his stupid defense first when you get the lead. Regardless of who was coaching this team you would be getting the same results.
really...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Bad tank day: Edm loss, Ana loss.
We stay put... for now.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:29 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
We stay put... for now.
crap. well at least the leafs lost.

We should start a Believe thread for 29th spot + Leafs in 9th (EC)

Old
03-01-2012, 12:32 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Question for all :

If the Habs decide to draft the best player available and they think for whatever reason that Murray is better than Grigorenko or Galchenyuk. Will you be pissed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic
well at least the leafs lost.
Not good either. Leafs are losing too much. Playoffs are a pipe dream for them now, they need to win a bit so they can finish 9th or 10th.

Wouldn't want them to draft a good player would we?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
nah, Eller-Plek-DD is fine. we just need more bigger players in the Pax/Cole mold to insulate them. and a big gritty 4th liner with good faceoffs. If Plekanec leaves.. than yeah we need that elite center with size (but then we can afford to have another small winger)

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:44 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Question for all :

If the Habs decide to draft the best player available and they think for whatever reason that Murray is better than Grigorenko or Galchenyuk. Will you be pissed?

Not good either. Leafs are losing too much. Playoffs are a pipe dream for them now, they need to win a bit so they can finish 9th or 10th.

Wouldn't want them to draft a good player would we?
They're not that far out. I expect them to have a good streak coming up so I think the loss was crucial for possibly setting up a revenge knock them out of the playoffs final game. It'll be close. I doubt they'll drop below 10th and I still think they can make the playoffs. I don't trust WSH and co. Maybe WPG is the best bet.

RE: Murray. I will be pissed if we do not chose a fwd if we get in the top 5 (which seems likely). Also, just wondering, it is Ryan Murray right? As in the one who was just brutal in the game against Russia? Not saying I expect he's always like that, but that's the player you're talking about, correct?

I know everyone wants Grigo, but personally I truly want to fail for Nail. Anyone have good highlight reel link of Grigo of recent to sway me?

Old
03-01-2012, 02:43 AM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Brenden Gaunce and thomas wilson are who i want. Our defence is set. adding murray would just be overkill. Markov, Subban, Beaulieu, tinordi, gorges, emelin,That's a good enough defence in front of the best up and coming goalie in the league. I want Brenden Gaunce and Thomas wilson. I am rooting for the habs to finish just out of the running for those top 3 picks so we're forced to get gaunce.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:16 AM
gillyguzzler

The same posters keep referring to Faksa. We will be picking TOP 5, not TOP 15. The only way the Habs get Faksa is if he slips to the second round, which should not happen, but it's a more likely possibility than he be chosen in the TOP 5.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Joe Cole

You want to tank, play Weber as often as possible.

Clueless in the defensive end.

Slows down the transition game to a halt.

Never seems to find the lane to shoot, just passes it back to his team mates.

- You can also play Kaberle and Campoli a lot too. While you are at it Darche on the PP, and Engvist on the 4th line.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:53 AM
PK76

I guess there's a chance the Oilers get Murray or Dumba if they pick 2nd or 3rd? They really need to add a quality D to their lineup.

I really hope we can get one of Grig or Forsberg, since there's a very good chance Yakupov will be a Blue Jacket.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Frankenheimer

People: we need to think outside the box if we want avoid the dreaded "winning streak" or "momentum".

A true tanking strategy would include:

1) Disease: Spreading viruses into the heart of the Canadiens dressing room. This can be achieved quite effectively through the delivery mechanism of virus-infected toddlers.

2) Distraction: Spreading vicious rumours about all the players. Make them paranoid. Maybe their wife hasn't been faithful? Maybe Gauthier is loaning Gomez to the Siberian Gulags for a year or two?

3) Fatigue: Let's tire these guys out. We call Mayor Tremblay and set up a giant construction site around the bell center. Total gridlock. Will take hours just to move two blocks. All exits, one way streets, alleways blocked.

As far as I know, none of these are illegal, and quite possibly, are already happening.

Have fun Scott. I hear it takes 23 hours on the train just to play the other team.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Mr Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
We stay put... for now.
Not all that bad, Anaheim's loss gave 2 more points to Buffalo who are now 6 points ahead of us with a game in hand. Even better since the Sabres have two tough road games up ahead (SJS and VAN).

Pretty good I'd say

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:28 AM
ADespaties

For the end of the season I would convert Subban as Foward just to see him carriying the puck for plekanec and bourque. I would do those line

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Subban
White - Eller - Gomez
Staubitz - Noko -Palushaj

Emelin - Gorges
Kaberle - Campoli
Webber - Diaz

ADespaties is offline   Reply With Quote