HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what's missing from the CBJ blueline?

Old
02-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Ace2008

vCash: 500
what's missing from the CBJ blueline?

Considering that the play of Nash the past few years has been only slightly better then that of Jeff Carter and that the Jackets were able to land a solid starting lineup worthy hitter and blueline scorer in Johnson, what else in your opinion is missing from the Defense.

Clearly a natural playmaker would be nice but with not 1 BUT 2 power forwards that entered the NHL as Centermen in R.Johansen and R.J.Umberger both as 1st round draft selections, now the question turns to who is going to be the Defender that the Jackets target as "NASH worthy"?

Really shocked that none of Nashville, San Jose, Toronto or NY were offering a package that was "good enough" to land Rick especially considering that all 4 teams were serious trade deadline players w/ multiple offers....However, now the question becomes do the JAckets pull a Lou Lamoriello and get lucky 3 times in 1 season by getting a
#1(Larsson at the Draft) a decent #2/3 Zidlicky pre deadline, and a middle of the pack #3/4(Foster mid season) this coming year.

With time the duo of Wisniewski and Johnson should be solid enough to carry a top PP.

Also having the likes of Moore, Savard, Nikitin and Tyutin should be enough to fill the PK and at least 1 spot on the 2nd PP....

WHAT else should the CBJ look for?

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Our real needs are offense, with Nash going to be moved, and a goalie. If Nash goes to Van, I want Schneider plus a solid young forward. They kind of traded that away with what I had in mind in Hodgson. Howson is going to want another very good forward to build around either way. Go after Harding via FA.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

At least one, and preferably two top shut-down defenders. That opens up trade possibilities for guys like Methot, and Tyutin, and allows us to take more time to properly develop our own D prospects.

That would also allow us to get rid of AJ, and Lebda, which should be a priority for this team.

I have said for a while now that much of our late game collapses has been wholly due to a lack of true shut-down guys who are capable of holding leads.

As you probably have surmised, I don't believe that any of our current D-men are adequate shut-down players.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
At least one, and preferably two top shut-down defenders. That opens up trade possibilities for guys like Methot, and Tyutin, and allows us to take more time to properly develop our own D prospects.

Times two. Not comfortable at all relying on what we currently have being used as shutdown defensemen.

I think it'll only help Johnson in his time as a Jacket, too. In the absence of such defensemen, people start to have unrealistic expectations from offensive defensemen.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Times two. Not comfortable at all relying on what we currently have being used as shutdown defensemen.

I think it'll only help Johnson in his time as a Jacket, too. In the absence of such defensemen, people start to have unrealistic expectations from offensive defensemen.
...and then the natural effect is that, having failed to meet unrealistic expectations, people begin to project those faults onto an overall image of what a player can't do, rather than what he can do.

Ask Reds fans about Adam Dunn. Half regarded him as a great offensive threat who was well worth his ample weight, and the other half regarded him as a bum who wouldn't stop striking out.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Skraut

Jan Hejda circa 2009

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

lets put this in other terms...is a defense looking like (regardless of side they play):

J Johnson - Methot
Wiz - Moore/Savard
Nikitin - Tyutin
Moore/Savard

good enough to compete with Det/Nash/Chi/StL on a consistant basis next year?

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Kruddler

I was a bit surprised at the JJ acquisition -- will this stop Savard and/or Moore from being full-time next year?

Is the deal any indication of lack of progress from those two puck movers?

Kruddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Whats missing? One shutdown defensman, some experience and a goalie..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Need a shut down defender to put on either the third pairing or the top pairing. Methot isn't good enough, Wiz should be traded if they can in the offseason because he is 100% redundant now. He belongs on the bottom pairing in Columbus now because Tyutin and Nikitin make a great 2nd pairing. Moore should be moved up to play with JJ this season and next season look to bring in a premier shut down guy and put Moore on the bottom pairing or look to pair him with Nikitin and trade Tyutin.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:08 PM
CBJCougar

Rusty Klesla

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:47 PM
EspenK

Grit. Plain and simple. The jackets haven't had any since Foote left. And I'm not sure they had too much before but at least Heward and St-Pierre would drop the gloves.When was the last time a Jacket D-man was in a fight?

They also need to add two shutdown D-men who actually understand the role of defense is to stop the other team from scoring. Guys who will clear the crease. Deliver bone crunching hits.

I'd vote to move Methot & Tyutin if possible with those Howson contracts. Split Wis and JJ. Have Moore,Savard & Nikitin be the other three.

I was reading about the draft today on various sites and if we can I'd package the LA pick and one of our seconds to move as high up as possible and draft the best remaining guy of Trouba, Dumba or Ryan Murray. Need to get a great D prospect in the system. Look at all the guys we passed on to take Filly.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:50 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

We need a guy like Brooks Orpik.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Grit. Plain and simple. The jackets haven't had any since Foote left. And I'm not sure they had too much before but at least Heward and St-Pierre would drop the gloves.When was the last time a Jacket D-man was in a fight?

Tollefsen?

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

I'd like a Vinny Prospal t shirt and maybe some cheaper sweatshirt and jacket options.

Oh, you don't mean that Blue Line.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:54 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Our real needs are offense, with Nash going to be moved, and a goalie. If Nash goes to Van, I want Schneider plus a solid young forward. They kind of traded that away with what I had in mind in Hodgson. Howson is going to want another very good forward to build around either way. Go after Harding via FA.
While our offense isn't too good, this isn't what is a top priority in my mind. Remember the build from the G out theory. Scoring 6 goals last night would be tough, if not impossible;stopping the last 4 Detroit goals was very doable.

I do agree Harding or some other goalie is needed, but if the D improves, the G somewhat goes for the ride.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
To answer the original question? Confidence, really. I don't care whether it comes from within, or Howson snatching it up from the Whos down in Whoville while they're asleep in their beds. That is what this organization needs more than anything. Especially since it's a foregone conclusion they're going to trade the last can of Who-Hash. Or Rick Hash, or whatever his name is, I forget

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:14 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
lets put this in other terms...is a defense looking like (regardless of side they play):

J Johnson - Methot
Wiz - Moore/Savard
Nikitin - Tyutin
Moore/Savard

In my opinion, not even close. Your second pair is frightening and your third is the same as the first pairing which is being routinely torched this season.

Maybe JJ-Nikitin, then Winiewski-Methot, then Moore or Savard and anybody who can actually play defense (which explicitly does NOT include Tyutin!) I think that's closer, but still only marginal as to contending for the playoffs.

And of course, if there's not a new face in the nets for at least 50 games next year, it's all academic: this team is going nowhere.

Just my opinion. Man, this is a depressing team to try to support.

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:19 PM
scythe

"Is the answer Jesus?" - Ned Braden, Slap Shot

scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
"Is the answer Jesus?" - Ned Braden, Slap Shot
Best Quote of the fiscal year, "We don't need a Priest, We need an Exorcist...

Old
02-29-2012, 08:24 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Pretty much echoing everyone else here, grit and shut down. Methot should be shown the door if possible. But the one thing that needs to stay is the Tyutin-Nikitin pairing.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:27 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post

J Johnson - Methot
Wiz - Moore/Savard
Nikitin - Tyutin
Moore/Savard

Seriously doubt this is the objective next season if this is truly a rebuild.

I suspect we'll see some shifting around and maybe one of those names isn't in the org next year. I think Moore has played his last AHL game unless someone is brought in. Savard will be the bubble guy next season, unless he learns to play like the big man he is.

That said, I don't necessarily think this defense is horrible if they're put in a system to succeed and they continue to develop together, particularly if they have a goalie capable of making more than just the easy saves. Echoing the earlier post, a big part of what they're missing is confidence, in themselves, in net.

Don't get the Methot hating. He's going to be fine, and might even be the shutdown physical guy some of you are looking for as he develops.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I do agree Harding or some other goalie is needed, but if the D improves, the G somewhat goes for the ride.
Not so sure that is always the case, Toronto has a very good defense yet their goaltending is the problem there... It's best to include not exclude goaltending in the defense if you want to win in this league..

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387491

Old
02-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Hipster Letestu

Free agency is always hit-or-miss but there are some good shutdown defenseman going on the market this Summer.

Brad Stuart
Barret Jackman
Cory Sarich
Bryan Allen
Niklas Grossman

Depending on our other moves, I could see us going after one of these guys.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Rusty Klesla
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
We need a guy like Brooks Orpik.
Here are your simple answers, folks. Where do I sign?