HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

what's missing from the CBJ blueline?

Old
03-07-2012, 09:50 AM
650X2

vCash: 500
I forgot you know everything.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
Everyone here knows everything!

I like Moore and Savard, we haven't had a pair of young defenseman coming up like these two that I can ever remember. I'm on the fence as to whether they are ready or not, but like you, I'd prefer the decision not be driven by our lack of talent in Columbus ahead of them. Ideally you bring them up when they are ready, not when injuries and lack of depth dictates the move.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:05 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Oh I forgot. I can't voice my opinion without people pouting and/or get offended. I'm just supposed to let it pass. To do otherwise is to be arrogant or a jerk. Because I don't agree with your opinion, I am a "know it all". Standard tactic around here.

This is where people normally break out "agree to disagree".

By my criteria of where I think his development should be, he's fine. He's 21. Could he be further developed? Sure. Does he help or hurt the team? On most nights he helps.

Now continue saying he's not ready and I'll respond with "Moore is fine". This is all the explanation you need and are going to receive.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I haven't missed Methot in any game that he has missed at any point this season. He was Arniel's little pet project and his whole "He'll be awesome if we get him on the correct side of the ice" thing was silly. Much like Stralman and his chronic sinus issues.

Methot is what he is and what that is isn't worth 3 million. He's an ok player. A NHL player. But, as I've said for a couple of years now, there is nothing special about him. Certainly nothing to justify the waste of 1.5 million a season.

I missed Rusty when he was out of the lineup. The only time I miss Methot is when AJ is on the blueline. For depth purposes.

Hell as much hate as Lebda gets around here, I'll rather keep him next year over Methot. At least the pay would be inline with his role.
I do believe Hitch was the first guy to promote Methot's game. When Methot was breaking the line up 3 years ago it was Hitch who said something to effect of "He's making it impossible to leave him out of the lineup." 275 NHL games, all in Columbus, and he is -7 career...around these parts, that pretty good.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:10 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Everyone here knows everything!

I like Moore and Savard, we haven't had a pair of young defenseman coming up like these two that I can ever remember. I'm on the fence as to whether they are ready or not, but like you, I'd prefer the decision not be driven by our lack of talent in Columbus ahead of them. Ideally you bring them up when they are ready, not when injuries and lack of depth dictates the move.
Hey, I don't know everything, I just have an opinion on everything!

I agree with you that, ideally, players come to the NHL fully "cooked;" but, due to injuries, trades, and other unforeseen circumstances, that is often not the case. Our team is not alone in that. Personally, I think both Moore and Sevard are better defensemen, right now, than Johnson and Lebda. That, to me, makes them "ready" in terms of CBJ play. We don't often get our preferences (otherwise, Howson would not still be GM).

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Hey, I don't know everything, I just have an opinion on everything!

I agree with you that, ideally, players come to the NHL fully "cooked;" but, due to injuries, trades, and other unforeseen circumstances, that is often not the case. Our team is not alone in that. Personally, I think both Moore and Sevard are better defensemen, right now, than Johnson and Lebda. That, to me, makes them "ready" in terms of CBJ play. We don't often get our preferences (otherwise, Howson would not still be GM).
I don't disagree with that.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Kev22

Watching the Avalanche last night, I wish that we had Hejda back. If he were still on this club and with the acquisitions of Johnson and Wiz, we would have a legitimate NHL top six, with some prospect depth. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

It will be interesting to see where Howson (or his replacement) goes with the defense. We are really still a #1/2 type defensive d-man short even with the pickup of Johnson.

Who does Howson target? I'd like to think Suter, but let's be realistic. The only way you pick him up is if you trade Nash and then offer Suter most of that money. I don't see that happening. If there were to be the type of earth-shattering miracle and Suter did come here, our defense would instantly become a top 10 defense. Again, dreams are better than reality. I'm not saying this is really possible at all. Just spitballin'.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Who does Howson target? I'd like to think Suter, but let's be realistic. The only way you pick him up is if you trade Nash and then offer Suter most of that money. I don't see that happening. If there were to be the type of earth-shattering miracle and Suter did come here, our defense would instantly become a top 10 defense. Again, dreams are better than reality. I'm not saying this is really possible at all. Just spitballin'.
How much will Brad Stuart or Cory Sarich stand to make? Stuart stays in DET most likely, especially if Lidstrom retires.

Dismissing Suter as a pipe dream, these guys are the ideal, IMO. Of course, they may also be pipe dreams. But one in place of Methot and with Savard as a #7...

Old
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Watching the Avalanche last night, I wish that we had Hejda back. If he were still on this club and with the acquisitions of Johnson and Wiz, we would have a legitimate NHL top six, with some prospect depth. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

It will be interesting to see where Howson (or his replacement) goes with the defense. We are really still a #1/2 type defensive d-man short even with the pickup of Johnson.

Moore and Savard are coming along but they are still young and not defensive defenseman, coupled with Johnson and Wizniewski that makes four offensive defenseman-we need a shutdown type to balance the top six and Suter would fill that role. As the CBJ D continues to improve I think we will see Methot as the odd man out, he was good enough with our weaker defensive roster but the addition of Jack, Wiz and Nik is changing the landscape on our blueline.

Last edited by Robert: 03-07-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Moore and Savard are coming along but they are still young and not defensive defenseman, coupled with Johnson and Wizniewski that makes four offensive defenseman-we need a shutdown type to balance the top six and Suter would fill that role. As the CBJ D continues to improve I think we will see Methot as the odd man out, he was good enough with our weaker defensive roster but the addition of Jack, Wiz and Nik is changing the landscape on our blueline.
Savard is pretty close, and he's very much a defensive defenseman imo. I would love to add a guy like Suter, but its imperative we first take care of the goalie situation.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. We really miss his physical presence in our own end.

Old
03-07-2012, 11:11 AM
650X2

There is a better chance Rick Nash gets traded back to us after we trade him away then us signing Suter.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
There is a better chance Rick Nash gets traded back to us after we trade him away then us signing Suter.
Oh I agree, I should have said Suter type...

Old
03-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Oh I forgot. I can't voice my opinion without people pouting and/or get offended. I'm just supposed to let it pass. To do otherwise is to be arrogant or a jerk. Because I don't agree with your opinion, I am a "know it all". Standard tactic around here.

This is where people normally break out "agree to disagree".

By my criteria of where I think his development should be, he's fine. He's 21. Could he be further developed? Sure. Does he help or hurt the team? On most nights he helps.

Now continue saying he's not ready and I'll respond with "Moore is fine". This is all the explanation you need and are going to receive.
I disagree.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Speedy Sanderson

I actually feel better about our blueline going forward as opposed to the forwards. Johnson, Wiz, Tyutin and Moore are going to play big minutes for this team going forward, and I like what all 4 bring to the team. Nikitin and Methot are both decent in my opinion, but Nikitin still a bit of an unknown and Methot hasn't lived up to expectations, so the jury is still out on these guys. Big question in my mind is whether Savard and Goloubef will ever turn into top-4 defensemen. If the answer is yes, the Jackets are going to have some serious depth in the back.

Speedy Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:04 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I do believe Hitch was the first guy to promote Methot's game. When Methot was breaking the line up 3 years ago it was Hitch who said something to effect of "He's making it impossible to leave him out of the lineup." 275 NHL games, all in Columbus, and he is -7 career...around these parts, that pretty good.
Hitch promoted a lot of players games over the years. He talks up his players. Whether he believes all of it, you will have to check with him.

Now back to modern times. Methot was, in fact, an Arniel pet project.

A somewhat physical, somewhat mobile, average puck mover that scores less then 20 points per year isn't worth 3 million a year. I already said he's average. What more do you want?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:10 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Hitch promoted a lot of players games over the years. He talks up his players. Whether he believes all of it, you will have to check with him.
I remember a certain incident where Hitch "talked up" Kris Russell. That's probably why it was so surprising to see the trade go down between us and the Blues swapping Russell for Nikitin. Not that I'm complaining about it. NikNik has been quite the defenseman for us after coming over.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
I remember a certain incident where Hitch "talked up" Kris Russell. That's probably why it was so surprising to see the trade go down between us and the Blues swapping Russell for Nikitin. Not that I'm complaining about it. NikNik has been quite the defenseman for us after coming over.
I was surpised with that trade too, I don't watch SL enough to know how well Russell is doing but with Nikitin and Tyutin clicking I give Howson an A for making the trade.

Old
03-07-2012, 07:14 PM
section 204

I don't like Savard playing in the NHL until his skating improves. Moves like Herman Munster on ice, and it's exposed regularly at the NHL level.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by section 204 View Post
I don't like Savard playing in the NHL until his skating improves. Moves like Herman Munster on ice, and it's exposed regularly at the NHL level.
I'm still waiting for Jason Allison to finish a breakaway, and he hasn't played since 2006.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'm still waiting for Jason Allison to finish a breakaway, and he hasn't played since 2006.
Isn't he playing somewhere in a Nashville honky tonk?

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 06:07 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I was surpised with that trade too, I don't watch SL enough to know how well Russell is doing but with Nikitin and Tyutin clicking I give Howson an A for making the trade.
St. Louis 48 5 4 9 +10 with a game winning goal.

Apparently he is also recovering from a concussion

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Isn't he playing somewhere in a Nashville honky tonk?
That was Jamie Allison. Jason Allison was an All-Star forward, and the NHL equivalent of Bernie Kosar in terms of speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
St. Louis 48 5 4 9 +10 with a game winning goal.

Apparently he is also recovering from a concussion
With St. Louis, he's got 3 goals and 3 assists in 36 games. The other 12 games (with 2 goals and 1 assist) were with Columbus.

Of the 3 and 3 that he has in his new home, all 3 goals and 1 of the assists came in his first 8 games. Until the game against Nashville a couple weeks ago, he'd put up 1 assist in his previous 27 games.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:43 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by section 204 View Post
This. I would prefer to call Goloubef over him. We can use Toots injury and try Cody.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:48 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
That was Jamie Allison. Jason Allison was an All-Star forward, and the NHL equivalent of Bernie Kosar in terms of speed.

With St. Louis, he's got 3 goals and 3 assists in 36 games. The other 12 games (with 2 goals and 1 assist) were with Columbus.

Of the 3 and 3 that he has in his new home, all 3 goals and 1 of the assists came in his first 8 games. Until the game against Nashville a couple weeks ago, he'd put up 1 assist in his previous 27 games.
I'll double check my numbers-I copied them from TSN I think.

Upon further review they had his team listed as St Louis for the year, I thought they had broken out his Blues numbers.

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 06:37 PM
2minpenalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
This. I would prefer to call Goloubef over him. We can use Toots injury and try Cody.
I have a tendency to agree with you. We have seen Savard, let's see what Goloubef has because this will be an interesting off season and knowing what assets you have will help management when they look to reshape the roster.

2minpenalty is offline   Reply With Quote