HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks sans Boyle

Old
02-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

vCash: 500
Sharks sans Boyle

I'm sure it's been discussed before because Boyler is such a big part of the team, and i'm sure Burnsie is definitely going to take stress off, but how much will it hurt when he's gone? Do you guys think the PP will take a big hit if someone can't fill that secondary spot?

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I think the time is fastly approaching where the Sharks are gonna have to find a replacement.. boyle has a huge contract and I'm not sure his play is gonna live up all the way through.

Don't get me wrong, I like him but if we had to replace him next year that would be tough imo.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Gilligans Island

There's really no need to replace Boyle for a couple seasons. Only if it's compelling enough (e.g., we sign Suter and need cap space), should we move him in the off season when there's a window in his contract.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Mhoogasian94123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
There's really no need to replace Boyle for a couple seasons. Only if it's compelling enough (e.g., we sign Suter and need cap space), should we move him in the off season when there's a window in his contract.
Doesn't his contract have an opening in July 2012? I thought I read on another thread that we could move him either at the draft or shortly afterwards.
Can someone confirm this? I don't know where to get contract info.

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
I'm sure it's been discussed before because Boyler is such a big part of the team, and i'm sure Burnsie is definitely going to take stress off, but how much will it hurt when he's gone? Do you guys think the PP will take a big hit if someone can't fill that secondary spot?
It depends on when he's gone. They can trade him come July 1st if they want. Maybe they have a deal at that time where a QB is returning. Maybe they keep him through the duration of his deal and Jason Demers progresses like a lot of people, myself included, believe that he can.

His power play production isn't all that great this year. He's tied for 16th in power play assists and 18th in power play goals among defensemen. The other four men on the first unit is so good that I don't think it matters if he stays or goes. It's Boyle's even strength play that is masterful and a monumental contribution to the team in terms of offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
I think the time is fastly approaching where the Sharks are gonna have to find a replacement.. boyle has a huge contract and I'm not sure his play is gonna live up all the way through.

Don't get me wrong, I like him but if we had to replace him next year that would be tough imo.
The Sharks already have in place a way to transition from Boyle with Jason Demers. Demers is still raw but Boyle hasn't outlived his usefulness yet. Luckily, they don't have to replace him next year since he is still a force offensively. Plus, if they do decide to move on, he becomes tradeable in July. He's still worth his contract but if they get into a crunch with the cap due to a new CBA or if they trade for Rick Nash for whatever reason, he's likely the first to go.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoogasian94123 View Post
Doesn't his contract have an opening in July 2012? I thought I read on another thread that we could move him either at the draft or shortly afterwards.
Can someone confirm this? I don't know where to get contract info.
He has a limited NTC. Boyle will list 8 teams he WON'T accept a trade to and starting July 1st through ?, DW can trade him to any of the other 21 teams without Boyle's approval.

This same window opens up during the 2013 offseason.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Mhoogasian94123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It depends on when he's gone. They can trade him come July 1st if they want. Maybe they have a deal at that time where a QB is returning. Maybe they keep him through the duration of his deal and Jason Demers progresses like a lot of people, myself included, believe that he can.

His power play production isn't all that great this year. He's tied for 16th in power play assists and 18th in power play goals among defensemen. The other four men on the first unit is so good that I don't think it matters if he stays or goes. It's Boyle's even strength play that is masterful and a monumental contribution to the team in terms of offense.

The Sharks already have in place a way to transition from Boyle with Jason Demers. Demers is still raw but Boyle hasn't outlived his usefulness yet. Luckily, they don't have to replace him next year since he is still a force offensively. Plus, if they do decide to move on, he becomes tradeable in July. He's still worth his contract but if they get into a crunch with the cap due to a new CBA or if they trade for Rick Nash for whatever reason, he's likely the first to go.
Who are some young PPQB's we could possibly get in return if we traded him? Obviously we don't want to trade him to a team in the WC, so do you see a team in the East (probably in Canada or somewhere nearby) that we could move him to? Do you think we could get some picks if the prospect isn't great. I know we aren't getting someone like Karlsson but would a player and pick (preferably a 2nd or 1st) that would make the deal worth it to our team?

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Who are some young PPQB's we could possibly get in return if we traded him? Obviously we don't want to trade him to a team in the WC, so do you see a team in the East (probably in Canada or somewhere nearby) that we could move him to? Do you think we could get some picks if the prospect isn't great. I know we aren't getting someone like Karlsson but would a player and pick (preferably a 2nd or 1st) that would make the deal worth it to our team?
It's impossible to tell who is available for Dan Boyle by then. I mean, there are young right handed d-men out east like Justin Faulk, P.K. Subban, and Adam Larsson but which of them would actually be available? Who knows?

Old
02-29-2012, 05:54 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Not worth it unless you are getting someone who is near equal or unless you replace with a guy like Suter and change the team style to fit Suter.

You shouldn't necessarily look at points; you should look at effect on the PP. Check the top 10 PP teams and check for their QBs. Younger guys are Keith, Yandle, Doughty, Letang, Karlsson, and Edler. Second tier are guys like Carle, Giordano, Wiz and White. 1b's are like Gogo, Enstrom and Ehrhoff. I am only looking at the offensive side of the puck. Most of the replacements are pretty pricey. If you want to go under $6mil, your best bet is to try to do it from within. Outside of the 1b's, there isn't as much team effect in the acquisition.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
as long as it's not comic sans ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:24 PM
OrrNumber4

Boyle's game is really unique. He is a creative puckmover with great skating ability. Think Campbell, Karlsson, Goliogoski, maybe Letang. Possbily Doughty. The rest of the great offensive defensemen play a different type of game.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:21 AM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Boyle's game is really unique. He is a creative puckmover with great skating ability. Think Campbell, Karlsson, Goliogoski, maybe Letang. Possbily Doughty. The rest of the great offensive defensemen play a different type of game.
Yep.

I think his cap hit is very fair considering all that he brings to the table in heart and drive to succeed, team leadership, skill & time on ice. Boyle is a warrior and we are lucky to have him. If you look at his production since he got back to true form with the foot injury and the stick length issue then he is still in the top PMDs in the league.

Plus, really we're talking about entertainment here, and more than any other player, Boyle brings a smile to my face when he does a tight little spin or direction change that leaves an opposing player behind. As someone who played the game for a long time in similar but obviously less skill fashion than Boyle, I just love watching the guy skate.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:35 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Sports fans are such fatalists.

It's almost like getting married and worrying about when your partner is gonna die.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:41 AM
WantonAbandon

I think the hope is that Burns will be at a level to replace Boyle and Braun or Demers or maybe Irwin will be at a level to take Burns spot... so on and so forth. I'm not worried about the future of the Sharks blue line.

Now they need to draft some forwards...

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
This would obviously be ideal and I completely agree with the potential in Jason. I definitely saw it last year in the playoffs before he got injured and now he's playing a lot better defensively.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:27 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
I think the hope is that Burns will be at a level to replace Boyle and Braun or Demers or maybe Irwin will be at a level to take Burns spot... so on and so forth. I'm not worried about the future of the Sharks blue line.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Squeeven

To be honest, the only way I see Boyle leaving the Sharks, will be when he retires, which will probably be in another 3 years or so. Otherwise though, if he did leave, it'd be like replacing Peyton Manning, completely irreplaceable.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post

I think you're right, that's the "hope", but there is no way it it'll be next season.

Burns isn't close to Boyle's offensive game, Demers took a big step back this year and Braun might be ready to take on top 4 minutes next season.

In other words, there is no reason (unless he's immediatly replaced w/ a similar or better player) for the Sharks to move Boyle.

And yes, it's been talked about to death, the Sharks need to focus on forwards at this years draft.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:50 AM
wtfisthis

Yeah, no way they move Boyle. Hes way too important to this team and I could see him still playing and producing at a decent rate when hes 40.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:58 AM
landshark
Beat L. A.!

I think Justin Braun will supplant Boyle before Demers will. Braun's skating impresses me. He's got a good first step, but he's really good skating with the puck as well. I've just been noticing him a lot this year and i'm always like "was he always that fast?"

I like Demers, i feel Braun will wind up even better than Demers within the next season or two.

landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Sports fans are such fatalists.

It's almost like getting married and worrying about when your partner is gonna die.

well said

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:15 AM
ramstoria

I don't know if Boyle leaving is "fastly approaching". But he will have a limited NTC in the near future and does have a big cap hit. I can see DW trading him, but it would have to be a great deal, think Seto for Burns level. So unless an opportunity like that comes along, he will be a Shark. It's not like we are going to trade him for a couple of prospects and a pick just to free up cap space.

ramstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Pinkfloyd

Imo, if they have a legitimate opportunity to sign Ryan Suter as a free agent, I would move Dan Boyle and Douglas Murray without any hesitation. They might not even need to go out and get a d-man in that deal either as they could also sign Brad Stuart. If they get a young promising forward and a 1st rounder for Boyle and a 3rd for Murray, I'd be happy with that and rolling with a blue line that consists of...

Suter-Burns
Vlasic-Braun
Stuart-Demers
Vandermeer

I'd be very happy with that group.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:02 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Imo, if they have a legitimate opportunity to sign Ryan Suter as a free agent, I would move Dan Boyle and Douglas Murray without any hesitation. They might not even need to go out and get a d-man in that deal either as they could also sign Brad Stuart. If they get a young promising forward and a 1st rounder for Boyle and a 3rd for Murray, I'd be happy with that and rolling with a blue line that consists of...

Suter-Burns
Vlasic-Braun
Stuart-Demers
Vandermeer

I'd be very happy with that group.
Who wouldn't. heh.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:12 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

vCash: 50
Bah Humbug! Dan Boyle has more heart than the rest of the team, combined. I'd love to see him retire a Shark with a couple of Cups.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote