HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on the three man announce team?

Old
02-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

vCash: 500
Thoughts on the three man announce team?

I love all three individually but am I the only one who thinks Drew tries too hard to keep Bret involved in the game? I really noticed this last night and when they have the three man team, the game never seems to breath.

Your thoughts?

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Les Wynan*

I wouldn't mind Bret replacing Drew full-time.

Drew's really good at post-event analysis (i.e., breaking down what went wrong on a play) but is just terrible at everything else and lets his biases cloud his commentary. Couture is one of my favorite players but I'm just so completely sick of Drew's view of him this season as an infallible hockey god who can do no wrong. It was just as bad with Drew and Joe Thornton until Drew decided to stop because Joe doesn't score as much anymore (despite having evolved into a much more complete player). I have a lot more to say about this but I suspect no one else shares my opinion.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I really enjoy Bret and I see where you're coming from but I like Drew for his brutal honesty. He's not like a straight homer... He gets on guys like I remember a game where he was really letting Nemo have it for playing badly.

That's refreshing to me.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:22 PM
steveckl

I also wouldn't mind Bret replacing Drew. Like you wrote, Drew's really good at post-event analysis, but his overly biased commentary and ego (even though most of it is harmless banter) gets old fast.

In any case, I'm content so long as it's not Ratto.

steveckl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:25 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
I like it a lot more if they could get Hedican a proper place to stand. Their whole set-up is just so cheap.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:26 PM
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor

I have a better idea. Bret replacing Tmac

bullslugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:31 PM
irregardless
Registered Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I like it a lot more if they could get Hedican a proper place to stand. Their whole set-up is just so cheap.
This. What does he even stand on? A footstool?

irregardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
Drew has been a homer forever. Goes back to his radio days with the Sharks. First he was on Nolan and Friesen's jock like no other, then Thornton, now Couture. They are paid Sharks employees, so they can't go too crazy on the Sharks players, but I believe there is a balance between homerism and objectivity. I don't think he has found that balance.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:38 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
This. What does he even stand on? A footstool?
I think it's a crate (that they probably got for free)

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:39 PM
TealTownUSA

vCash: 50
what is drew bias about? the few saskatchewan saskatoon boys?

he's a slight homer, but far less than those another idiots around the league. and he also gives much props to the other teams great players and great plays. man knows hockey though and makes me laugh at times.

hedi for head coach
drew for asst coach
bakes/ricci for asst coach

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:47 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealTownUSA View Post
what is drew bias about? the few saskatchewan saskatoon boys?

he's a slight homer, but far less than those another idiots around the league. and he also gives much props to the other teams great players and great plays. man knows hockey though and makes me laugh at times.

hedi for head coach
drew for asst coach
bakes/ricci for asst coach
It's more than Saskatchewan on the bias. I listen to announcers all over the league and Drew is among the more biased. Not real good on penalty calls where bias can really show up. There are guys who are much worse (eg Redmond Det, the Boston guys, Jones Philly, etc). For lack of bias go to Forslund, Reaugh, Fox/Miller, etc.

Any bias at all is a huge blackmark for a potential coach. Hockey decisions need to be made with a clear outlook, no bias. Ricci and Hedican seem to have the clearest outlooks of the group you named.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:49 PM
do0glas

ive heard drew being called a homer several times. in comparison to the league, he is one of the few neutral announcers. he really tends to call players out when they mess up, and i usually agree with him on the penalty calls.

my biggest gripe is that he lacks the balance of sidebar conversations vs. actual hockey going on. but at the same time it provides a good comedic relief when im watching at home.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Iron Chef

The Drew homerism has trended downward over the years. There's many times he goes off on the team and individual players.

Bret would be a great color guy, but what makes Drew great is his chemistry with Randy. They are the best 1-2 punch in NHL broadcasting in my opinion.

But I have to admit, Bret really surprised me. Even to this day, Jamie Baker doesn't seem as comfortable in broadcasting as Bret does, and he's been doing it longer.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
ive heard drew being called a homer several times. in comparison to the league, he is one of the few neutral announcers. he really tends to call players out when they mess up, and i usually agree with him on the penalty calls.

my biggest gripe is that he lacks the balance of sidebar conversations vs. actual hockey going on. but at the same time it provides a good comedic relief when im watching at home.
agreed with the bolded.

Old
Les Wynan*

I guess comparing them to other announcers in the league is fair but there are some horrendous announcing teams around the NHL. Florida, Phoenix before Strader left, Carolina, L.A., Dallas and Nashville are all great but everyone else is middling to completely unlistenable.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
I love all three individually but am I the only one who thinks Drew tries too hard to keep Bret involved in the game? I really noticed this last night and when they have the three man team, the game never seems to breath.

Your thoughts?
"Good save Niemi" - Bret
"Real good save eh Bret?" - Drew

Yeah in that order..

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Yeah, like I said, I like all three fine, Randy is really good imo but sometimes the flow is disrupted when all three are together.

That's my main issue.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:58 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
I guess comparing them to other announcers in the league is fair but there are some horrendous announcing teams around the NHL. Florida, Phoenix before Strader left, Carolina, L.A., Dallas and Nashville are all great but everyone else is middling to completely unlistenable.
i think you only need to listen to a detroit broadcast to know that we have it pretty good in regards to homerism.

and really you can only compare to other announcers, because this is who weve got and it stacks up against the league favorably .

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:59 PM
TealTownUSA

vCash: 50
if drew calls out some players for bonehead moves on TV, does that mean he'd make a bad coach if he can see flaws in their game? or would it go public somehow like RW and be a bad thing?

i still think with or w/o hedican, i truly enjoy our announcers each and every game.

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:07 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Click Here!!

I love how you can tell Bret gives a damn about how our D is playing. I also love how Drew gets angry for me about penalties and missed calls. It's a combination that is working very well in my eyes.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:10 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealTownUSA View Post
if drew calls out some players for bonehead moves on TV, does that mean he'd make a bad coach if he can see flaws in their game? or would it go public somehow like RW and be a bad thing?

i still think with or w/o hedican, i truly enjoy our announcers each and every game.
I don't think he would be stupid enough now to go public if he were coach.

The problem is playing favorites. It is when he consistently calls out some players and not others for the same thing. That is certainly the case. Same thing with the way he hands out praise, heavily tilted to his favorites.

LW,
When you name Nashville as good, I used to catch homerism on penalties and they didn't have good voice for TV (marble mouths). Other than Nashville, I agree with your choices.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:24 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Wouldn't mind having Bret replace Drew full-time. His job as the "inside the glass" guy is pretty redundant.

As for the homerism point, I don't really care if a pair of announcers are extremely biased or not, they just have to have good voices. Like Tampa's group is pretty biased, but their PBP is easy to listen too. Unlike the Colorado PBP who is extremely biased and has a horrible voice. I also hate Washington's pair. Forced fake PBP voice, and fat-guy color commentator voice.

Cuthbert is the best AINEC.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
RexFeral
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I don't think he would be stupid enough now to go public if he were coach.

The problem is playing favorites. It is when he consistently calls out some players and not others for the same thing. That is certainly the case. Same thing with the way he hands out praise, heavily tilted to his favorites.

LW,
When you name Nashville as good, I used to catch homerism on penalties and they didn't have good voice for TV (marble mouths). Other than Nashville, I agree with your choices.
Not a fan of Nashville either. I might add the Rangers. Play-by-play guy is often very complimentary of other teams, IMO.

Oh, and also Pittsburgh. BEST. IN. THE. LEAGUE, Staggy!

RexFeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:41 PM
hockeyball

I like Drew, but Bret is way more interesting.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:55 PM
RexFeral
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I like Drew, but Bret is way more interesting.
I like 'em both. Drew entertains me more but I think Bret is better. Although, I can't really stand the 3-man team. Bret is too often forced to chime in and it's usually a comment like "Great back-check there by Pavelski" (after he has just stolen the puck or something that is obviously good), and I'm all like, "NO SHlT?! I appreciate your input and you're a valued member of this team, Mr. Hedican."

RexFeral is offline   Reply With Quote