HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Leland Irving

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-29-2012, 07:00 PM
  #1
CalgaryFlames1240
Registered User
 
CalgaryFlames1240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Windsor
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Leland Irving

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=619869

Hopefully he gets a lot of starts. Busy month.

CalgaryFlames1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:40 PM
  #2
haQ Loob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 243
vCash: 500
I hope so too. If it's looking even more hopeless for a playoff berth, I say we play Leland a lot and if he holds up, management might be able to see what kind of offers roll in on Kipper after other keepers stink up the joint during the playoffs.

haQ Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:47 AM
  #3
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,427
vCash: 50
Anyone know if he's getting the start tonight?

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:26 AM
  #4
DBU
Stars
 
DBU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,369
vCash: 50
Fan 960 said yes

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
  #5
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Another good test for the guy. What happened to Karlsson anyways?

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:55 AM
  #6
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Another good test for the guy. What happened to Karlsson anyways?
He can't stop the black rubber disk from entering the netted cage.

But he's still with the team.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:57 AM
  #7
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotalik Fanboy View Post
He can't stop the black rubber disk from entering the netted cage.

But he's still with the team.
I was going to say the same thing. It looks like Irving has taken the backup roll lets hope he can run with it because Kipper needs a rest.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:38 AM
  #8
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,737
vCash: 1200
From Sutter's comments in the Herald:

Quote:
“I think you can probably read between the lines,” head coach Brent Sutter said Thursday after the morning skate in Phoenix. “We’re in a situation where we need to win games.
Quote:
“At some point in time, we’ve got to give Kipper a break. My thought process is that I want to go with the goalie who has got us some points and won us some games.”
Quote:
“You know what? I sat with Henrik and explained it here a couple of days ago and told him exactly what we’re doing,” Sutter said. “I have to go with the guy who has won us some games and got us some points. Take it the way you want. That’s the bottom line. We need to win games.”
From the sounds of it, Irving will be going back and forth between Abbotsford and Calgary; and get called up to play when needed. Clearly he's the #2 goalie on the depth chart now.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:59 AM
  #9
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
From Sutter's comments in the Herald:





From the sounds of it, Irving will be going back and forth between Abbotsford and Calgary; and get called up to play when needed. Clearly he's the #2 goalie on the depth chart now.
Thanks for digging up the quotes, very informative.

It's great to know Sutter and management are smarter then I give them credit for. Irving has all the raw skill to become a #1 someday IMO. Hopefully in time we'll see that come true as Kipper preps for retirement. Another 1st round pick by Sutter that looks to have some promise, along with Backlund. Oh, and Tim Erixon is a ******.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:46 PM
  #10
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Thanks for digging up the quotes, very informative.

It's great to know Sutter and management are smarter then I give them credit for. Irving has all the raw skill to become a #1 someday IMO. Hopefully in time we'll see that come true as Kipper preps for retirement. Another 1st round pick by Sutter that looks to have some promise, along with Backlund. Oh, and Tim Erixon is a ******.
Haha, the only thing better than Tommy Boy playing in the AHL all year would be if he was playing on on the Jackets right now after he got sent over for Nash.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:22 PM
  #11
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotalik Fanboy View Post
He can't stop the black rubber disk from entering the netted cage.

But he's still with the team.
Interesting. At least there's other parts of his job that he can do, like....



Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:00 PM
  #12
DouglasQuaid
Blabbed about Mars
 
DouglasQuaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Irv looks like the real deal, so happy he's getting a shot.

DouglasQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:39 AM
  #13
Roadrage
Registered User
 
Roadrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Next door
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
I do feel bad for Karlsson though. Out of the 6 games he's started this season, the Flames have given him a grand total of 8 goals of support which averages to just 1.33 per game. Basically, Karlsson can let in only 1 goal or get a shutout everytime he plays...not reasonable for any goalie let alone your supposed backup. At least Irving gets an average of 2 goals of support per game.

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:06 PM
  #14
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
I do feel bad for Karlsson though. Out of the 6 games he's started this season, the Flames have given him a grand total of 8 goals of support which averages to just 1.33 per game. Basically, Karlsson can let in only 1 goal or get a shutout everytime he plays...not reasonable for any goalie let alone your supposed backup. At least Irving gets an average of 2 goals of support per game.
Yes and he also has a below .900 SV% which is just not good enough for any goaltender in NHL.

Clearly the team does not have enough confidence in his abilities.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:01 PM
  #15
Triple Deke
Registered User
 
Triple Deke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
I do feel bad for Karlsson though. Out of the 6 games he's started this season, the Flames have given him a grand total of 8 goals of support which averages to just 1.33 per game. Basically, Karlsson can let in only 1 goal or get a shutout everytime he plays...not reasonable for any goalie let alone your supposed backup. At least Irving gets an average of 2 goals of support per game.
I'm sure Karlsson's a good guy, but he's been shaky this season.
Irving has impressed me thus far. Has made a few highlight reel saves.

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:45 PM
  #16
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,374
vCash: 50
Flames assign Irving back to the Heat:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=620349




This doesn't makes sense! He played great last night, don't know why they would send him back...

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:03 PM
  #17
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Flames assign Irving back to the Heat:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=620349




This doesn't makes sense! He played great last night, don't know why they would send him back...
makes perfect sense I think, he was recalled to play, not sit on the bench. I expect this to become a trend to be honest. Karlsson is Kipper's backup and will come off the bench if needed and Irving will be recalled and play to rest Kipper.

I think we will see Irving recalled 2 more times this month and play in both sets of back to backs we have remaining. Probably against the Oilers on the 16th and the Canucks on the 31st

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:07 PM
  #18
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,374
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
makes perfect sense I think, he was recalled to play, not sit on the bench. I expect this to become a trend to be honest. Karlsson is Kipper's backup and will come off the bench if needed and Irving will be recalled and play to rest Kipper.

I think we will see Irving recalled 2 more times this month and play in both sets of back to backs we have remaining. Probably against the Oilers on the 16th and the Canucks on the 31st
Thing is, wasn't irving called Kipper's permanent backup just a few days ago?

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:28 PM
  #19
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Thing is, wasn't irving called Kipper's permanent backup just a few days ago?
no I don't think anyone in the organization said anything like that, just said Irving is starting because he has given us a better chance to win. Maybe some of the sportnet tools assumed otherwise though

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:20 PM
  #20
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Thing is, wasn't irving called Kipper's permanent backup just a few days ago?
Thus far, we've been trying to look for a regular backup. Haven't really found one minus Irving yet who will have greater expectations.


Also side note, the guy is tiny. Taller than me. But looks absolutely tiny.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:35 PM
  #21
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,737
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Thing is, wasn't irving called Kipper's permanent backup just a few days ago?
I think Sutter mentioned that Irving had passed Karlsson on the depth chart, but they want to continue developing him. So it makes sense to send him back to the AHL and allow him to play a lot instead of opening the door for Kipper the rest of the season. When Kipper gets to rest, Irving will be recalled for the start.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:40 PM
  #22
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,427
vCash: 50
Irving was pulled lastnight as the Heat lost 7-6. Matt Keetly picked up the win.
He has a lot going on with moving between 2 teams, and both being depleated, but not something you want to see if he's going to be called up again soon.
They play again tonight.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:17 PM
  #23
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,820
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I think Sutter mentioned that Irving had passed Karlsson on the depth chart, but they want to continue developing him. So it makes sense to send him back to the AHL and allow him to play a lot instead of opening the door for Kipper the rest of the season. When Kipper gets to rest, Irving will be recalled for the start.
Seems a little ridiculous. I like watching Irving play in the big club, but that's not a good way to treat a young goalie. He starts in Abby, and when Kipper needs a break, Irving plays in the NHL. That's extra travel, and it begs the question, when will Irving get a rest?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:39 PM
  #24
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Seems a little ridiculous. I like watching Irving play in the big club, but that's not a good way to treat a young goalie. He starts in Abby, and when Kipper needs a break, Irving plays in the NHL. That's extra travel, and it begs the question, when will Irving get a rest?
anytime they want? The backup in Abbotsford is good enough to start.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:15 PM
  #25
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy
 
Janko Unchained's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 240
So Irving has been recalled again, according to the Flames Facebook page.

Janko Unchained is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.