HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The biggest steal in 04´

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2004, 12:34 PM
  #76
Kritty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Look at Zetterberg, he was drafted in the 7th round 210th overall in 99´. Only a year after that you didn´t have to be a genius to see how good he was. Today he is one of the top 3-4 players to come out of that draft. I´ve never said that Salmonsson was a steal, he has allot left to prove that he even was worth a 2nd round pick IMO. However when you see Fransson play its obvious that he has everything to become a great hockey player, he could be a franchise player.



I agree with most of your points. But in every draft there is a avg. of what 2-3 franchise players? If one of them are picked in the 2nd round he is gooing to be considered a huge steal. There was a allot of circumstances that made Fransson drop so far. Sweden had a really weak WJC team and Fransson wasn´t given much room there other then late in games when Sweden was behind by a goal or two. Last years WJC´s is Fransson´s only international showing. Fransson is playing some great hockey in a league with defensemens named Z. Chara, C. Philips, S. Souray and Dick Tärnström to name a few. I saw him play live a couple of days ago and he was matched against Peter Forsberg and played really well, he lost Forsberg once and Peter set up Weinhandl for a goal. And its not to be forgotten that Fransson is far from beeing a finished product. He isn´t like Barker who had a developt upper body at the age of 18. There is no question if Fransson will make it to the NHL, he is a lock. The question is how good he will be come and he has IMO potential to be one of the top 3-4 players in that draft. That is what makes him a steal. It will take 5-6 years before he reaches his prime, allot can happen in that time. But wait till you see him in this years WJC, I am willing to bet that allot of you would take him the top 5 if you had the chance to do the 04´ draft over again.
Seems to me like you are hung up on Fransson and can't see anyone else from the past draft. There were a ton of other players drafted you know, not just him.

Kritty is offline  
Old
11-07-2004, 08:40 PM
  #77
waiverdraft33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Some people on here think all Swedish prospects are "top 3-4 players in the draft" superstars, you'll get used to it Kritty.

waiverdraft33 is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 06:30 AM
  #78
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,323
vCash: 500
Biggest steal = my guy.

Biggest bust = your guy.

link www.weareseveralyearsfromthisdiscussion.com

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 07:00 AM
  #79
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
Seems to me like you are hung up on Fransson and can't see anyone else from the past draft. There were a ton of other players drafted you know, not just him.
There are a couple of other players I like. Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker, Montoya, Smid(one of my fav.), Stafford, Radulov, Korpikoski, Mesaroz and Schremp...

Ola is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 07:20 AM
  #80
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,929
vCash: 50
Only thing Fransson has on the other guys in the first round is maturity. For all we know he might be as good as he'll ever be already.

Korpikoski? I'd wait to see if his hands will be any better before talking about him being a steal... Great hustle and an iron will on that guy though, he'll be a fan favourite.

mattihp is online now  
Old
11-08-2004, 08:15 AM
  #81
Predatore
Registered User
 
Predatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Växjö/Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,967
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
Korpikoski? I'd wait to see if his hands will be any better before talking about him being a steal... Great hustle and an iron will on that guy though, he'll be a fan favourite.
I'm looking forward to seeing him and the other top Finnish prospects play live this week actually. Will finally see what all the fuzz is about

Predatore is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 08:36 AM
  #82
Prucha73
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
I think Korpikoski is the opposite of a steal.

Prucha73 is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 09:09 AM
  #83
West
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 664
vCash: 500
Biggest steal not mentioned yet is Jeff Glass Kootenay WHL.

Also not mentioned are Adam Berti(just starting to kick it into gear for Oshawa), and Victor Alexandrov (8th ranked Euro. last year).

Others I like that where already mentioned are are Mike Green, Wes O'Neill and Igor Radulov.

West is online now  
Old
11-08-2004, 09:25 AM
  #84
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,929
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
I'm looking forward to seeing him and the other top Finnish prospects play live this week actually. Will finally see what all the fuzz is about
I've seen Korpikoski on tape a couple of times, and from what I see he looks like a Dackell with lesser hands. Lots of times to develop though, but definately not the typical TPS prospect.

mattihp is online now  
Old
11-08-2004, 10:48 AM
  #85
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
I'm looking forward to seeing him and the other top Finnish prospects play live this week actually. Will finally see what all the fuzz is about
Korpikoski could miss the tournament in Växsjö, I saw him play early this year but last Sunday there was a game between TPS and Jokerit on FTV and they said that Korpikoski was out with a knee injury...

Ola is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 10:50 AM
  #86
Kirk- NEHJ
Registered User
 
Kirk- NEHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CAV Country!
Country: United States
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Biggest steal = my guy.

Biggest bust = your guy.

link www.weareseveralyearsfromthisdiscussion.com
Superb.


Kirk- NEHJ is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 11:33 AM
  #87
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Would someone who follows the BCHL tell me if Tyler Eckford's start is worthy of being considered an early steal.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 01:25 PM
  #88
007
Olympic nut
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Korpikoski could miss the tournament in Växsjö, I saw him play early this year but last Sunday there was a game between TPS and Jokerit on FTV and they said that Korpikoski was out with a knee injury...
Not to turn this into a Lauri Korpikoski thread, but he's still out with a knee injury, which is healing. According to the TPS website, he's started training with the team again, but he hasn't played yet.

As for being a bust, even if he pans out to be a third-line energy player, that doesn't make him a bust. He's a fairly safe projection to be an NHL player, and not everyone in the first round has to be a first-liner.

007 is online now  
Old
11-08-2004, 02:38 PM
  #89
Predatore
Registered User
 
Predatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Växjö/Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,967
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Korpikoski could miss the tournament in Växsjö, I saw him play early this year but last Sunday there was a game between TPS and Jokerit on FTV and they said that Korpikoski was out with a knee injury...
oh well...
Rask, Laakso, Korhonen, Tukonen, Nokelainen and Joensuu will have to do I guess

Predatore is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 04:49 PM
  #90
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
As for being a bust, even if he pans out to be a third-line energy player, that doesn't make him a bust. He's a fairly safe projection to be an NHL player, and not everyone in the first round has to be a first-liner.
there was an article recently I'm told about korpikoski (in finland) in which his coach said korpikoski has developed faster than just about any rookie he's ever coached, and that the stars were trying to trade up to draft him but couldn't find a good deal, which had the rangers worried

basically with his work ethic and overall skills, it's very likely he'll be at least a 3rd liner who can check very well and put in a few points.

2nd liner is probably within reach though if he develops his offensive skills

Levitate is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 05:01 PM
  #91
Kovy274Hart
Registered User
 
Kovy274Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Shaolin
Country: United States
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
there was an article recently I'm told about korpikoski (in finland) in which his coach said korpikoski has developed faster than just about any rookie he's ever coached, and that the stars were trying to trade up to draft him but couldn't find a good deal, which had the rangers worried

basically with his work ethic and overall skills, it's very likely he'll be at least a 3rd liner who can check very well and put in a few points.

2nd liner is probably within reach though if he develops his offensive skills


Thanks for the update. Try telling that to Prucha73, who has no concept of what kind of league Korp is playing in.

Kovy274Hart is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 05:08 PM
  #92
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,929
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
there was an article recently I'm told about korpikoski (in finland) in which his coach said korpikoski has developed faster than just about any rookie he's ever coached, and that the stars were trying to trade up to draft him but couldn't find a good deal, which had the rangers worried

basically with his work ethic and overall skills, it's very likely he'll be at least a 3rd liner who can check very well and put in a few points.

2nd liner is probably within reach though if he develops his offensive skills
He could be a third liner in the NHL any day. Get some experience on him and you'll have a very good player. But anyone expecting him to score alot... is expecting too much, unless he starts booming out, which is not too far of a stretch, since he went from unknown to top-3 finnish prospect in a matter of days.

mattihp is online now  
Old
11-08-2004, 05:12 PM
  #93
Prucha73
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
Thanks for the update. Try telling that to Prucha73, who has no concept of what kind of league Korp is playing in.
I think you have no concept of what league he played in last year.

Prucha73 is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 05:15 PM
  #94
Prucha73
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
He could be a third liner in the NHL any day. Get some experience on him and you'll have a very good player. But anyone expecting him to score alot... is expecting too much, unless he starts booming out, which is not too far of a stretch, since he went from unknown to top-3 finnish prospect in a matter of days.
Yes, I think he will be similar type of player to PJ Axelsson or Rolston.

Prucha73 is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 05:16 PM
  #95
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,929
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
Yes, I think he will be similar type of player to PJ Axelsson or Rolston.
Think more Brylin or Stoll.

mattihp is online now  
Old
11-08-2004, 08:08 PM
  #96
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
I stand corrected!
Patrick Eaves was drafted in 2003 along with Nikulin another pretty good draft pick. We got Kaigorodov in 2002 who is 3rd in scoring in the Russian Elite league. Ottawa had a pretty good 2004 draft too considering we got Meszaros, Lyamin, Weller, Wick and Glass, 3 of them are in the WHL.

aragorn is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 01:35 AM
  #97
Kovy274Hart
Registered User
 
Kovy274Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Shaolin
Country: United States
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
I think you have no concept of what league he played in last year.

I think you have no concept what a big step up it is from where he played last year to going into a pro league this year .

You think you know so much but in reality you're just an impatient fan who doesn't realize the transition young players like Korp are making.

I don't see you bashing Prucha for his lack of production this year due to his fourth line duty. So, you should have the same kind of approach with Korp.

Kovy274Hart is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 02:03 AM
  #98
Prucha73
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
I think you have no concept what a big step up it is from where he played last year to going into a pro league this year .

You think you know so much but in reality you're just an impatient fan who doesn't realize the transition young players like Korp are making.

I don't see you bashing Prucha for his lack of production this year due to his fourth line duty. So, you should have the same kind of approach with Korp.

no you fail to understand how low his scoring was in juniors last season. I am not bashing Korpikoski because of lack of production this year, but mainly I just doubt his offensive potential based on his lack of scoring in juniors.

Prucha73 is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 03:27 AM
  #99
Jean Beliveau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
The biggest steal in 04´

That's an easy one.

KYLE CHIPCHURA (Future leader and power forward/big centre)

Jean Beliveau is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 03:43 AM
  #100
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 500
The biggest steal of the draft was without a doubt that guy who plays for my favorite team™

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.