HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Other Chicago Sports Thread VII: Rose tears ACL in final seconds of blowout

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Recoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
So Spring Training means nothing, but Brett Jackson has 3 home runs in 5 games.
Although, two of those were in intra-squad games, so they only sorta count.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Although, two of those were in intra-squad games, so they only sorta count.
Right, I should have stated as much.

Best thing Soriano could do is have a bounce back year where the Cubs can trade him salary away at the deadline.

Cubs only have $89 million in, in uniform payroll this year. Lowest its been in a decade. (several mil more still going to Zambrano, Silva, Pena).

Old
03-07-2012, 11:22 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
No issue with saving the money for the seasons we have a chance. Hopefully Soriano can launch 25 and keep the average above .250, OBP abover .300. If he can do that, he can be moved IMO. It would still be a Zambrano type deal but at least we could move on.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
No issue with saving the money for the seasons we have a chance. Hopefully Soriano can launch 25 and keep the average above .250, OBP abover .300. If he can do that, he can be moved IMO. It would still be a Zambrano type deal but at least we could move on.
Yea, plus the fact is I don't want to see the team go out and spend stupid money just to spend it. The time isn't right, and they players we want aren't out there yet. In a couple years, I'm sure our spend will be higher.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:16 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Yea, plus the fact is I don't want to see the team go out and spend stupid money just to spend it. The time isn't right, and they players we want aren't out there yet. In a couple years, I'm sure our spend will be higher.
IIRC, there are a number of prime aged front line starters available next offseason. That would be my first move, getting one of them.

EDIT (just double checked that):

Matt Cain, 28
Zack Greinke, 28
Cole Hamels, 29
Anibal Sanchez, 29

I'd definitely get one of these guys. We have Dempster coming off the books.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Recoil

Quote:
IIRC, there are a number of prime aged front line starters available next offseason. That would be my first move, getting one of them.

Matt Cain, 28
Zack Greinke, 28
Cole Hamels, 29
Anibal Sanchez, 29

I remember reading that too and agree 100%.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

Matt Cain, 28
Zack Greinke, 28
Cole Hamels, 29
Anibal Sanchez, 29

Forget 1, get 2. They have Zambrano (16 mil) and Dempster (14 mil) coming off the books. Extend Garza for 5 years (discount due to covering only 4 years of free agency) and get Cain and Hamels for 5 years and you have quite the formidable pitching staff for the next half decade.

Garza
Hamels/Grienke
Cain
Woods (guy from Cinci can't remember if its Wood or Woods)
Maholm

You can win with that starting rotation.

Old
03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

You guys are also assuming that all of those guys won't resign this year or before FA next year. Wouldn't be surprised if Cain and Hammels both get contracts. Then your competing with the Yankees and Redsox who can and will offer more then the Cubs can. Realistically the Cubs could get one of those guys who do become available.

Old
03-07-2012, 02:08 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
You guys are also assuming that all of those guys won't resign this year or before FA next year. Wouldn't be surprised if Cain and Hammels both get contracts. Then your competing with the Yankees and Redsox who can and will offer more then the Cubs can. Realistically the Cubs could get one of those guys who do become available.
Gotta think Hamels will be available given what they already pay Doc and Lee. Hamels is just a notch below those two, but he'll get #1 money IMO. I just don't see how they can put that much payroll into those three guys, especially with Utley and Rollins being up there in age these days, and the uncertainty of Howard.

Old
03-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Agreed, they very well could get resigned by then. I don't think Hamels will resign though, he'll look for a big pay day and the Phils have huge money in Halladay, Lee, and Howard.

Old
03-07-2012, 03:21 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Agreed, they very well could get resigned by then. I don't think Hamels will resign though, he'll look for a big pay day and the Phils have huge money in Halladay, Lee, and Howard.
Same goes for Sanchez. I know I like him a little bit more than most but he's a consistent ground ball pitcher and with all of the money spent in Miami, if people don't show up for those games, I doubt they go out of their way to stay with the elite spenders.

Old
03-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

If Hammels does become available the Cubs will be 4-5 down the list to sign him. Yankees and Redsox will be the top, I would put Miami up there as they have proven they will spend almost endlessly. It's certainly not a guarantee that they will get him and would have to overspend drastically to do so.

Old
03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
If Hammels does become available the Cubs will be 4-5 down the list to sign him. Yankees and Redsox will be the top, I would put Miami up there as they have proven they will spend almost endlessly. It's certainly not a guarantee that they will get him and would have to overspend drastically to do so.
Maybe, maybe not. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone wants to play in New York and Boston. The Cubs will be able to competitively bid with any team for any of those pitchers. This is Hamels big contract so he is certainly going to command a huge deal. Probably will go to whatever team will offer him 6 or 7 years.

Old
03-07-2012, 04:46 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone wants to play in New York and Boston. The Cubs will be able to competitively bid with any team for any of those pitchers. This is Hamels big contract so he is certainly going to command a huge deal. Probably will go to whatever team will offer him 6 or 7 years.
Not according to ESPN

Old
03-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Madgoat had that right on.

It's not about playing in those cities its about money. If the person wants the most money those teams will offer it. If Hammels has a desire to play in Chicago or wants to stay in the NL then the Cubs have a good chance. But if it comes down to sheer money, the Cubs will far short.

Old
03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
I'd much rather have Scott Baker than Anibal Sanchez.

Old
03-07-2012, 05:23 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Peavy today:
Pulled after 2 IP, 4 H, 3 ER and 2 K. 36 pitches, 25 strikes. He also hit a batter and threw a wild pitch.

Old
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Peavy today:
Pulled after 2 IP, 4 H, 3 ER and 2 K. 36 pitches, 25 strikes. He also hit a batter and threw a wild pitch.
He's done. He's been injured for an extended period of time every year since 2007. I was a big Peavy fan before then but even I knew those mechanics weren't going to hold up.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Madgoat had that right on.

It's not about playing in those cities its about money. If the person wants the most money those teams will offer it. If Hammels has a desire to play in Chicago or wants to stay in the NL then the Cubs have a good chance. But if it comes down to sheer money, the Cubs will far short.
Maybe,maybe not. The Cubs will have about 70 mil in payroll next year. They could add 70 mil in contracts if they wanted. They can be very competitive in the free agent market next year if they so choose.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:25 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
D Rose has ice water running through his veins.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Cullksinikers

D-Rose is a cold-blooded ****ing assassin. I love that kid. I never was old enough to see Jordan play, so this is the superstar I get to grow up to watch play. Rose is humble, creative, clutch, and amazing. He's just a special athlete.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Derrick Rose = LEGEND

He is the real MVP, not that fake one that only plays in the first 44 minutes of the game and crumbles under pressure. Who nickenames himself things like Chosen One and King. Hey other guy change your nickname to The Queen until you prove otherwise.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/bullstv/gameday.html

Old
03-07-2012, 10:04 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Derrick Rose = LEGEND

He is the real MVP, not that fake one that only plays in the first 44 minutes of the game and crumbles under pressure. Who nickenames himself things like Chosen One and King. Hey other guy change your nickname to The Queen until you prove otherwise.
His Quitness or Choking One are my favorites.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Cullksinikers

-"LeBroad Jane"
-"LeBrick Shames"
-"The Lyin' King"

Old
03-07-2012, 10:39 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
They really needed a last second shot to beat Milwaukee???

Closed Thread