HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN Demotes College Hockey; So shocked!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-29-2012, 08:56 PM
  #1
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
ESPN Demotes College Hockey; So shocked!

Quote:
In their infinite wisdom, executives at the ‘Worldwide Leader in Football and Basketball’ took time away from kneeling at the altar of Roger Goodell and discussion of the undying virtue of the routine slam dunk to make the decision to chip away at the foundation of the final vestiges of hockey programming on its family of networks.

After years of carrying the Frozen Four semifinals on ESPN2 and the title game on ESPN, ‘the deuce’ will now be home to college hockey’s season swan song and one of the semifinals while the first semifinal has been relegated to the never-popular ESPNU.

While it’s true that those of us most passionate about college hockey are an easily offended and defensive lot when it comes to the game we love, it is a difficult pill to swallow when our sport’s … ahem … one shining moment (sorry, it just slipped out) is devalued by a network whose criteria for a ‘top play’ is the NBA equivalent of an empty-net goal.



Read more: http://www.uscho.com/wcha-blog/2012/...#ixzz1npWewCnk


ESPN can go **** themselves.

EDIT: Title is sarcasm if you couldn't already tell.


Last edited by Clowes Line: 02-29-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:01 PM
  #2
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 9,228
vCash: 116
ESPN reaches out to fans of basketball football and baseball. Hockey does not appeal to their demographic interests (no racism intended).

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:09 PM
  #3
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
By not televising hockey, they do not give it a chance to grow. They don't televise hockey because it's not popular, but did they ever think that the reason it isn't popular is because they don't televise it?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:10 PM
  #4
SomebodySaveKreider
Registered User
 
SomebodySaveKreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
As soon as that contract is up, NBC Sports should go after college hockey.

Would be a good way to promote the game.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:11 PM
  #5
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
As soon as that contract is up, NBC Sports should go after college hockey.

Would be a good way to promote the game.
Too bad it is up in 12 years

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:13 PM
  #6
SomebodySaveKreider
Registered User
 
SomebodySaveKreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Too bad it is up in 12 years


Brutal....just brutal.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:14 PM
  #7
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
I'm not into college hockey, but I'm excited for Tampa to be hosting championship hockey games

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:14 PM
  #8
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,174
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
By not televising hockey, they do not give it a chance to grow. They don't televise hockey because it's not popular, but did they ever think that the reason it isn't popular is because they don't televise it?
That would imply that the people at ESPN think.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:16 PM
  #9
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Obviously this is just vastly unfortunate, but expected in a time when the vast majority of college hockey audiences actually see the games live rather than via television.

We will see where it goes from here. The NCAA gets better every year and hockey is still a very popular sport.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:24 PM
  #10
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
I love NCAA hockey.

Atmosphere at games is like a smaller 'football' club in europe.

The chanting, singing, and band is great.

Its too bad I never went to a big school with a D1 team. So I have no allegiance to any school. But I like the main competitors. Michigan, North Dakota, Wisconsin, BU, BC, RPI, Maine U, Providence are my favorites. For different reasons. RPI for personal reasons.

Screw ESPN.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:28 PM
  #11
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,117
vCash: 500
i know ive said it before but i just recently finished up at merrimack. Theres nothing like D1 hockey. It was a great experience. The Hockey East is one of the most exciting things to watch out of all the NCAA sports and respective divisions. The rivalry and passion up there for it is almost unparalleled. I played another sport up there and I can tell you right now hockey takes center stage AINEC.

Good write up, liked the article.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:31 PM
  #12
CH2
Registered User
 
CH2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
I went to a D-III school with an awesome broadcasting program that streams the hockey games and does a better job than the pros can probably do. ESPN has nice cameras and all but the commentators (sorry Thorne) rarely know anything about the teams, players, etc. I'd much rather have the production on ESPNU or ESPN2 if it means there's commentators who prepared ahead. I think the smaller the better in terms of network coverage. The people that want to watch it will find the networks. Not a huge issue.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:38 PM
  #13
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,404
vCash: 500
Thanks for posting this, ESPN has been dead to me for years, so I wouldnt have found out until The Frozen Four.

Seriously, I watch SNF on ESPN...... and....ehhhh... I think that's about it. They have absolutely destroyed what was once the dominant player in sports programming, and it's NOT just because they couldnt care less about hockey, virtually all of their programming has degraded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Too bad it is up in 12 years
NBC Sports could purchase the remaining rights from ESPN, and probably at par if ESPN is backseating it.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:46 PM
  #14
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,883
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
At least NBC sports airs college hockey on Friday nights

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:56 PM
  #15
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
At least NBC sports airs college hockey on Friday nights
Yes! I'm a Cats fan (I used to live in Burlington) and I've had the privilege of watching them get destroyed on live national television TWICE in the last few weeks.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:10 PM
  #16
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
ESPN reaches out to fans of basketball football and baseball. Hockey does not appeal to their demographic interests (no racism intended).
That's not true. Has nothing to do with target demos. Anyone that watches sportscenter or any sports channel is either an avid or casual fan which basically can be classified as every league's sports fan.

They have no investment in hockey, so they don't care if they grow the sport or not. That's why NBC is promoting the hell out of hockey. They have a 10 year $200 million dollar investment.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:42 PM
  #17
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,649
vCash: 500
Brutal. A damn shame that college hockey suffers like this.

College hockey is played at such a high level, and it makes for a great way to get people into the sport.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:50 PM
  #18
district9
Registered User
 
district9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
espn doesn't promote hockey because the nhl didn't like the contract offer they received from espn, which is why they went to versus/nbc sports instead. when hockey was on espn2 it got much more air time.

espn has no rights to broadcast the nhl, so they're not going to show it. plain and simple.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:01 PM
  #19
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Thanks for posting this, ESPN has been dead to me for years, so I wouldnt have found out until The Frozen Four.

Seriously, I watch SNF on ESPN...... and....ehhhh... I think that's about it. They have absolutely destroyed what was once the dominant player in sports programming, and it's NOT just because they couldnt care less about hockey, virtually all of their programming has degraded.



NBC Sports could purchase the remaining rights from ESPN, and probably at par if ESPN is backseating it.
That's a good point, it probably wouldn't cost much for them to purchase it either, considering it's not very popular and they don't make a big fuss about it.

Hope they do so. Hope NBC Sports really starts to kill ESPN.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:18 AM
  #20
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Yes! I'm a Cats fan (I used to live in Burlington) and I've had the privilege of watching them get destroyed on live national television TWICE in the last few weeks.
Yeah UVM has been brutal this year.

Btw Burlington is a beautiful place to live.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:34 AM
  #21
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
espn doesn't promote hockey because the nhl didn't like the contract offer they received from espn, which is why they went to versus/nbc sports instead. when hockey was on espn2 it got much more air time.

espn has no rights to broadcast the nhl, so they're not going to show it. plain and simple.
USA Hockey and Hockey canada want to remove fighting from college and juniorhockey.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/sp...=2&sq=fighting in juniorhockey&st=cse&scp=1

Good or bad for the popularity of hockey and willingness to promote it on TV?

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:42 AM
  #22
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,314
vCash: 500
For the past 2 years I have pretty much just boycotted ESPN. They have total crap programming and they don't cover the main sport I like.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:50 AM
  #23
Blueblood9
Registered User
 
Blueblood9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
while were on the topic of espn/nbc sports. has anyone seen there sports highlight show like sportscenter? is it better? Do they actually talk hockey?

Blueblood9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:51 AM
  #24
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
USA Hockey and Hockey canada want to remove fighting from college and juniorhockey.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/sp...=2&sq=fighting in juniorhockey&st=cse&scp=1

Good or bad for the popularity of hockey and willingness to promote it on TV?
There wasnt much fighting in college hockey to begin with.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:30 AM
  #25
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Yeah UVM has been brutal this year.

Btw Burlington is a beautiful place to live.
Beyond brutal.

I still go up there quite a bit because the gf's family is from n.VT, not a helluva lot going on, but it's a lovely place, especially if you're a skier or into fishing.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.