HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Is Holtby a True Number 1 Goalie?!

Old
04-25-2012, 10:16 AM
drewwegand

vCash: 500
Is Holtby a True Number 1 Goalie?!

so after his showing in the playoffs so far we know Holtby is a solid netminder!

The real question is, is he a number 1 goalie now?

Is he our number 1 goalie, or is he trade bait?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120422_131655.jpg‎ (147.5 KB, 12 views)

drewwegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
txpd

probably neither. he certainly isnt trade bait. the caps will keep both neuvirth and holtby. vokoun wont be staying. what holtby developes into is still up to him.

meaning that holtby's future is still ahead of him and his upside tbd. i'd think he would start next season as the #1. i dont the caps will make him the number one without reserve. that they wont let vokoun walk, trade neuvirth and sign a veteran back up goalie to play behind holtby.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

What tx said.
Neither.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:08 AM
HeyMattyB
Caps Fan in Philly

I'm happy with the final results the Caps have had so far this series with Holtby in net, but there is plenty of room for improvement in his play before he can be considered a true #1 goaltender.

-He is terrible at controlling rebounds. He gives up a ton of rebounds in front of the crease, and is often scrambling around trying to locate the puck when he does so. The Capitals defense (which, during the entire regular season, was terrible at protecting the crease and clearing rebounds) has somehow turning into a shot-blocking, rebound-clearing, crease-protecting beast (relatively speaking) in the playoffs. In the three low-scoring games of the series so far, Holtby has been a beneficiary of the defense's surprisingly solid play. In the other three games where the defense hasn't been so good, and it's been up to Holtby to carry the team, he's given up three or four goals.

-He's been stopping a lot of shots, but a lot of those have been low-percentage shots from the point and elsewhere. He's made a handful of great saves, and a couple of spectacular saves, but let's not kid ourselves—despite the high shot count, the majority of his saves are pedestrian ones.

-He is awful when going one-on-one, whether it's a partial breakaway, a full breakaway, or a shootout. And I mean atrocious. He over-commits too early and/or throws himself out of position (as he did on Chara AND Seguin during the last OT). Or he plays too timidly, looking like a deer in headlights.

-He gives up bad goals. On average, it seems like a goal a game. Either a puck squeaks through when it shouldn't, or he throws himself out of position, or he gives up a rebound he shouldn't, or he's too aggressive at the wrong time. Chalk it up to youth or inexperience.

I mean, I'm happy with his play, and I'm particularly stoked on his PMA. Yeah, he gives up bad goals, but he is able to instantly compose himself and get back in the game. He really does seem to be mentally in the zone. For a guy so young, with so little NHL experience, facing the high-pressure situation he is now, you've got to be impressed by how he refuses to get rattled.

HeyMattyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Well, he'll be the closest thing the Caps have to a true number 1, assuming Vokoun isn't extended.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:30 PM
amjay13

He is extremely raw but that comes with his age. The talent is there to be a very good #1, he just needs some work and that is why you pay a goaltending coach.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:34 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

My focus is on one game, and for that game, he is Mr. Right Now.

04-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

To the extent that it was a question mark beforehand, Vokoun probably won't be tendered an offer now. The Caps will go with Holtby and Neuvirth instead. This confident decision is a direct result of the playoffs to date.

Is he trade bait? Probably no, although the playoffs are not yet over. If he lays an egg in game seven and the Caps go out with a whimper, then that could have repercussions. This is a massive game for the team as well as for him. How does he respond to the ultimate in hockey pressure? We start to see a glimpse of that tonight.

If they go on, or if they lose in game seven in a hard-fought contest, I don't think they have a problem with him. He's been a lynchpin.

Is he a #1? Well, the team is probably bringing back last year's eventual #1 in Neuvirth, just in case Holtby turns back into a pumpkin next year. I think it's more accurate to say that they're going to be platooning until either seizes the job and doesn't let go.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:37 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

I think it's almost a sure bet that Neuvirth and Holtby will be the two goalies next year, and that neither will be deemed a clear #1 out of the gate. Over time, one may emerge as the go-to guy. Or, they could just ride the hot hand and play it by ear.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:43 PM
hockey-brent

Yes.

He's shown the most promise.

hockey-brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Midnight Judges

IMO Holtby is a true #1 and should be the man going forward. He has the ability to steal playoff games and he's absolutely better than Neuvy. I also think he has trade value - especially after this series.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:19 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Judges View Post
IMO Holtby is a true #1 and should be the man going forward. He has the ability to steal playoff games and he's absolutely better than Neuvy. I also think he has trade value - especially after this series.
young players have uneven growth curves. this is particularly true of young goalies.
look at john carlson this season.

if the caps go all in with holtby as their #1 and he has a carlson like season, the caps miss the playoffs. if on the other hand neuvirth is there to share the duty and compete for games, holtby has a reason to work hard in the off season and keep his attitude straight and the team has a solid fallback position if holtby struggles.

look at carey price.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:32 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Yes.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Holtby has given up a few weak goals this series. Mostly rookie mistakes. A couple of these goals I think Neuvirth, and Chokoun might have had, but honestly I think Holtby made at least 3 saves some games neither of those two could make, and I been impressed with him.

The only question I had personally about the Caps winning this series was the goaltending situation. Holtby performed damn good I have to say.

This Bruins team as horrible as their record was the second half of this season the Devils could never beat them so I'm a little jealous. We had the lead in every game too, and came real close last time we played them this season. Still couldn't get over how Carolina could sweep them, and outscore them 15-4, and the Isles could give them a hard time, and beat them but the Devils couldn't.

If you guys don't want Vokoun a lot of Devils fans are interested. Me not being one of them!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:11 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Caps have packed it in around Holtby. That being said main thing I've noticed is that he leaves the near post early which, IMO, seems a bit of a youngish goalie aspect he should grow out of.

04-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Atlas

It looks like Holtby has the goods.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:13 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Holtby has given up a few weak goals this series. Mostly rookie mistakes. A couple of these goals I think Neuvirth, and Chokoun might have had, but honestly I think Holtby made at least 3 saves some games neither of those two could make, and I been impressed with him.

The only question I had personally about the Caps winning this series was the goaltending situation. Holtby performed damn good I have to say.

This Bruins team as horrible as their record was the second half of this season the Devils could never beat them so I'm a little jealous. We had the lead in every game too, and came real close last time we played them this season. Still couldn't get over how Carolina could sweep them, and outscore them 15-4, and the Isles could give them a hard time, and beat them but the Devils couldn't.

If you guys don't want Vokoun a lot of Devils fans are interested. Me not being one of them!
The one thing that stands out to me about Holtby over Vokoun and Neuvirth is his puck focus. I saw many times this series where he would make a save and then immediately swat the rebound to the corner before anyone could even come near it, like he was playing it to himself. It's things like that that save goals. He's awful one-on-one, but he has a very good chance to turn into a superb goaltender if he works on his rebound control.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:37 AM
artilector

He may or may not have true #1 skills, but it does look to me like he's gonna be the Caps #1. He seems good enough to win with, and he has a great attitude. I think the history of SC champs shows that you don't need a Lundquist-caliber goalie to win. If you have a decent but cheaper goalie, a system that limits great scoring chances, and spend the money wisely elsewhere, I think you're actually probably better off -- and I think Holtby fits that mold.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:34 AM
bonzaifan
Rookie User

He reminds me of this guy we had who came in during a crazy series with the Penguins and stole the number one job.

I think his name was Olaf Kolzig

bonzaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:58 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaifan View Post
He reminds me of this guy we had who came in during a crazy series with the Penguins and stole the number one job.

I agree with alot of people. I am not a one year wonder fan. Consistency is key and he is very young.

Could be a Kolzig, but then again could be Jim Carey. How quickly some of us forget.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Is he trade bait? Probably no, although the playoffs are not yet over. If he lays an egg in game seven and the Caps go out with a whimper, then that could have repercussions. This is a massive game for the team as well as for him. How does he respond to the ultimate in hockey pressure?
Like this:

Holtby looks great right now, but he's also playing behind a team that is ridiculously dedicated to defense, and that didn't give up a lot of quality shots in the last series. They gave up a ton of shots overall, but many of them were from the perimeter or from bad angles.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaifan View Post

Kolzig did not get the starting job off that series. He was starting that series because Jim Carey put up the worst save % ever put up in a post season. Less than a year later we were trading Carey for Bill Ranford, and Kolzig could have gone in that trade just as easily as Carey did. Kolzig got the #1 job the following fall (of '97) when Bill Ranford went down hurt.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:04 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Kolzig did not get the starting job off that series. He was starting that series because Jim Carey put up the worst save % ever put up in a post season. Less than a year later we were trading Carey for Bill Ranford, and Kolzig could have gone in that trade just as easily as Carey did. Kolzig got the #1 job the following fall (of '97) when Bill Ranford went down hurt.
Best nutshot in Washington sports history.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Mothra

I dont think they have any option but to go with the 2 young guys next season....and im fine with that.

one thing that jumps out to me about Holtby is he doesnt seem to give up those behind the net/no angle shots......I think neuvirth is kind of week in that area and teams seem to throw pucks at him in those situations.....didnt he give up a few like that last playoffs?

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Danglesnipe
52-22-8

vCash: 50
Keep Holtby and Neuvirth.

They would get less for Holtby than they did for Varly I would think.

Danglesnipe is offline   Reply With Quote