HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Screw Up The Offseason Thread (+QB, -1st Rounders, -$36 Million!)

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2012, 03:25 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Honestly, I want to believe. I want to be optimistic. I want to say hey the guy has won 2 rings. But the real world for now is this. 6 wins. 5 wins. 2 playoff wins in 19 seasons. One playoff win for the coach in 13 seasons. This NFL caliber staff got embarrassed by powerhouses like Carolina, Buffalo, Miami, Minnesota, etc. Key players, despite the statements that Shanahan would run a more professional program, showed what they think of the team and coach by abusing drugs not once but multiple times.

Six straight home losses, in front of crowds that frankly were cheering more for the opponent than the Redskins. An offense that can't do anything except turn the ball over with regularity. A defense that looked great when playing patsies but couldn't stop anybody with a real offense. If this is all progress..well ok.

Shanahan's past is what it is. You don't like me harping on it because it blows a huge hole in this vision of the future. You and others speak of his good drafting, etc. and always conveniently gloss over him handing Philly a 2nd round pick for a has-been of a QB. In fact, his huge mismanagement of the QB position is the biggest reason he gets deserved critisism in the press and blogs. He's botched it three times now, he needs to get it right this time.

Is it a better situation? Honestly I don't think so. Not yet anyway. Because of everything I listed above. The facts are the facts, no matter how ugly they are. I'm looking for progress but really, I just don't see it. Maybe I'll feel better after the draft. Seems like they'll either have a new, young superstar QB to build around, or at least can fill several holes. We will see.
I mind you harping on it because I find that line of thinking bull**** at this point in time in regards to the Skins. I wasn't concerned with the Skins making the playoffs last year, and I am not concerned about the Skins making the playoffs this year. The playoffs would be nice, but I am not holding my breath right now.

Right now I am more concerned with the rebuilding of the Skins roster. Once the Skins have added a significant amount of new/quality players and prospects, probably after this coming offseason and regular season, I will start putting more importance on the on-field product.

Also, were you this vocal when Gibbs Part Duh was treating the draft like an after thought? Or because he willed a below average team, that he was responsible for creating, to the playoffs twice before he road off into the sunset, he lived up to his HOF credentials?

Finally, enough about the McNabb trade. It was worth a shot based on the roster Shanahan had at the time. Gibbs Part Duh traded a future HOF CB and a 2nd round pick to Shanahan for a good (not great) RB. Even the good NFL HC's can make dumb decisions from time to time.

Last edited by WetHog: 03-02-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old
03-02-2012, 03:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Why even watch if you don't care about making the playoffs?

Old
03-02-2012, 03:45 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
You don't have to spend first rounders to get linemen.

They're found in the 3rd, 4th, 5th and later. You find them off the street when teams can't fit them into the system.

It's not rocket science, but they can get it done without going out and spending on Kalil or another top lineman in the draft.
I agree 100%. Doesn't matter where they come from. Quality O-lineman can be found at all rounds of the draft and as undrafted FA's.

Very good, to great, undrafted WR's like Wayne Chrebet, Marquis Colston, Miles Austin, and Victor Cruz get all the attention because they play a high profile position, but I bet there are just as many noteable undrafted O-lineman that played in the NFL, and played at a high level. My favorite Skins player Joe Jacoby was undrafted from Louisville that Gibbs wanted to convert to DL.

Last edited by WetHog: 03-02-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old
03-02-2012, 03:47 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Why even watch if you don't care about making the playoffs?
I almost stopped watching during Zorn's last year. I watch because I like to see young players like Orakpo, Kerrigan, Helu, Royster, etc... develop, contribute, and hopefully become quality players for the Skins for years to come. I also watch because I love the team.

Also, did you expect the playoffs last year? If not, why did you watch? If you did, how was that possible based on the roster?

Old
03-02-2012, 03:56 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Looks like our old buddy Gregg Williams got his old team the Saints into some big trouble:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-bounty-rule/

The league being up in arms about bounties seems really silly to me. Almost hypocritcal. I wonder if Williams did something similar while he was with the Skins.

Old
03-02-2012, 03:58 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
There you have it....smoke the weed, screw the rules, get a huge bump in salary. Isn't the NFL great? LOL!
Yeah not to pleased when I found out Sleepy got franchised. With Cooley coming back and Paulsen showing signs of being a decent NFL TE last year I would of liked to see Sleepy shown the door. On the bright side, at this point, Sleepy is only garunteed a 1 year deal if he takes the franchise money.

Old
03-02-2012, 04:19 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

If its that easy to find quality roster players...why haven't we done it? Biding our time? Lulling the league into a false sense of security? It should make you that much more upset with our front office.

03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
If its that easy to find quality roster players...why haven't we done it? Biding our time? Lulling the league into a false sense of security? It should make you that much more upset with our front office.
Did I say it was easy? Nope. And have you been paying attention to the last 2 offseasons? Seems not.

Old
03-02-2012, 04:54 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Looks like good old Gregg Williams had a bounty system while with the Skins.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak

“Sean Taylor made a lot,” he said of the hard-hitting safety who was killed in his Miami home in 2007.

This might explain why Taylor layed out that poor punter in the Pro Bowl.

Old
03-02-2012, 04:54 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

If you're suggesting that we have been finding quality roster players...I'm not the one not paying attention.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:01 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
If you're suggesting that we have been finding quality roster players...I'm not the one not paying attention.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
PD93, singing like a canary. Figures since we cut him

Thanks again Phil, for wrenching Peyton's neck. In case we get those damaged goods, you deserve full credit. Slow as molasses, I used to laugh watching him out in contain in the flat against a guy like Vick. Priceless.

I wish Dale and George had a bounty system. Can you imagine the shock and horror if it were come to light? "Oh my God Dale paid Ovi $100 to hit Bourque". While George pays him 9.5M to do the same.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

The bounty system was going on when Gregg was with the Skins, per the WP.

Unfortunately, that was also the last time the Redskins defense was any good.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:35 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I almost stopped watching during Zorn's last year. I watch because I like to see young players like Orakpo, Kerrigan, Helu, Royster, etc... develop, contribute, and hopefully become quality players for the Skins for years to come. I also watch because I love the team.

Also, did you expect the playoffs last year? If not, why did you watch? If you did, how was that possible based on the roster?

Of course I didn't expect them to make the playoffs, but they surprised early.

Just saying the playoffs should always be the goal. In the NFL, you never know. Doesn't mean I don't care. It's the only thing I care about. If not the playoffs, what? Badge of courage for watching this mess with no QB?

Old
03-02-2012, 05:37 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's called crap scouting and drafting. Goes hand in hand with Rex and Back at QB.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:03 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Of course I didn't expect them to make the playoffs, but they surprised early.

Just saying the playoffs should always be the goal. In the NFL, you never know. Doesn't mean I don't care. It's the only thing I care about. If not the playoffs, what? Badge of courage for watching this mess with no QB?
Well I would say the SB should always be the #1 goal.

The way I feel about the Skins is the way I felt about the Caps during the rebuild early last decade. With playoffs out of the question I follow the young players and hope to hell they develop into something that can help the team get back to the playoffs in the near future. Not sure how else I can describe it.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:05 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
It's called crap scouting and drafting. Goes hand in hand with Rex and Back at QB.
I chalk up the Rex and Beck show to the Defense behing the focus of upgrading and that the offense will be addressed this offseason. By all indications that is what is about to happen. If it doesn't then my support for Shanahan the rebuilder will start to erode.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

If I was the NFL, I would seriously consider suspending Williams for a year. That's two times, two different programs. Seeing how serious the NFL has become about injuries, a coach implemented system to actually purposely hurt the opposition for cash rewards. They should nail him to the cross.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well I would say the SB should always be the #1 goal.

The way I feel about the Skins is the way I felt about the Caps during the rebuild early last decade. With playoffs out of the question I follow the young players and hope to hell they develop into something that can help the team get back to the playoffs in the near future. Not sure how else I can describe it.
Can't have the chicken without the egg, but I think we're agreeing with each other.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:08 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
PD93, singing like a canary. Figures since we cut him

Thanks again Phil, for wrenching Peyton's neck. In case we get those damaged goods, you deserve full credit. Slow as molasses, I used to laugh watching him out in contain in the flat against a guy like Vick. Priceless.

I wish Dale and George had a bounty system. Can you imagine the shock and horror if it were come to light? "Oh my God Dale paid Ovi $100 to hit Bourque". While George pays him 9.5M to do the same.
Daniels is currently an employee of the Skins. He is the Director of Player Development. And based on Daniels comments, he was doing his best to defend Williams and his "system". Still should of kept his mouth shut. Him acknowledging something like that took place only gives credibility to the gutless anonymous players that have chirped to the WaPost.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:10 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Can't have the chicken without the egg, but I think we're agreeing with each other.
I do as well. I want the team to win games. Period. But when its clear the team will struggle I focus my attention to what positives I can identify.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I chalk up the Rex and Beck show to the Defense behing the focus of upgrading and that the offense will be addressed this offseason. By all indications that is what is about to happen. If it doesn't then my support for Shanahan the rebuilder will start to erode.
Focusing on D only? What is Shanny single threaded? Ignoring the most important position on the field was a huge mistake. Hopefully we don't see that tunnel vision from Shanny ever again.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:12 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
If I was the NFL, I would seriously consider suspending Williams for a year. That's two times, two different programs. Seeing how serious the NFL has become about injuries, a coach implemented system to actually purposely hurt the opposition for cash rewards. They should nail him to the cross.
Whether the NFL does something publicly to Williams or not, I think its safe to assume he will be un-attractive to other NFL teams if Jeff Fisher decides to dismiss him.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:15 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Focusing on D only? What is Shanny single threaded? Ignoring the most important position on the field was a huge mistake. Hopefully we don't see that tunnel vision from Shanny ever again.
Well I don't know for sure, but I do put some stock in the rumors that the Skins were going to take Andy Dalton in the 2nd if he made it to them. And the offense wasn't totally ignored in the offseason, but the defense got the majority of the attention.

Still, the roster was really gutted during the un-capped year, and to rebuild it the right way its going to take at least 3 quality offseasons to get it competitive. At least thats what I am expecting.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:11 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Matt Bowen has penned an article for the Chicago Tribune about his time with the Skins and their "Bounty" system. Its pretty specific to put it nicely. Here is a nice snipit:

In a makeshift meeting room, with the whisper of evening traffic pouring in from the Beltway, we laid our bounties on opposing players. We targeted big names, our sights set on taking them out of the game.

Price tags started low during the regular season — a couple hundred bucks for going after the quarterback hard or taking a running back out below the knees. Chop him down and give a quick smile when you got back to the huddle. You just got a bonus.

You can read the rest here.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...head-coach-nfl

Its a damn good read, IMO. None of what Bowen said surprises me.

It also might signal some serious change for the NFL as a whole based on how Goodell has been clamping down on big hits. This offseason keeps on getting more and more interesting. Good or bad.

Closed Thread