HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"..buzz in the United Center press box indicated the Leafs coach could be fired

Old
03-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONOHA View Post
Only here on HFboards can you take things literally and some how feel like you came out on top.

The photo is symbolic of the relationship between Wilson and Burke, meaning it goes deeper than just business which is partly the reason why Wilson isn't fired yet. Also partly the reason why Wilson got an early contract extension.

They're friends and really good ones at that. It's shrouding Burke's judgment, and if it means sending them both packing I'm all for it. The roster, the staff, everything has changed and we're still getting the same results. It's time to go.
This. I am still unsure if Mansfield was trolling or just dumb.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:32 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Yep. Patience. Burke will fall on his sword eventually.
You're doing it wrong, Jimmy.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:32 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time".... Abraham Lincoln.

Sometimes I feel Burke is only fooling himself into believing the Fan base is buying what he is selling all of the time.
right now the fans are on wilson

who do you think the venom will turn to next year? obviously burke

burke has one more year to turn this around, although i noticed over the last few weeks people around this team are figuring out his circus act

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:38 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
right now the fans are on wilson

who do you think the venom will turn to next year? obviously burke

burke has one more year to turn this around, although i noticed over the last few weeks people around this team are figuring out his circus act
Act? You're suggesting he was different in LA and Vancouver?

Old
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Only here on HFboards can you take things literally and some how feel like you came out on top.

The photo is symbolic of the relationship between Wilson and Burke, meaning it goes deeper than just business which is partly the reason why Wilson isn't fired yet. Also partly the reason why Wilson got an early contract extension.

They're friends and really good ones at that. It's shrouding Burke's judgment, and if it means sending them both packing I'm all for it. The roster, the staff, everything has changed and we're still getting the same results. It's time to go.
I was being sarcastic to make a point.

Here's a fact: no one on these boards knows what Brian Burke is thinking. No one.

Maybe, just maybe, it's possible that he legitimately thinks Wilson is doing a good job, and isn't to blame for this team's failures? Maybe the fact that they are friends has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I don't know. But I'm not claiming to, unlike most of the rest of the "Fire Wilson" bandwagon.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:47 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I do actually want Wilson fired. I've been on the bandwagon for some time, actually. But Wilson isn't still here because Burke is his buddy. Half a month ago, this team was still in a playoff spot. Now that **** has gone south, who makes sense to bring in now? Not Eakins, as the Marlies are winning, and taking him away would essentially be like ripping out their hearts. Believe it or now, winning at that level is important. Maybe making a change right now makes sense, maybe it doesn't. But Burke isn't putting Wilson ahead of the team.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:52 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
This. I am still unsure if Mansfield was trolling or just dumb.
What is dumb is assuming that Burke is going to let Wilson dictate how his career is going to proceed.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ACC1224

Quote:

You don't know that, you're guessing.

Most Coaches, GM's in the league have past relationships. The NHL is a small world.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darylman

Hey guys. Newsflash for you, this team isn't very good.

First line lacks a center. Second line was a flash in the pan. Third line is non-existent. Fourth line cannot play defense.

We have a hot-head Captain who excels at neither offense or defense, and a whole host of offensively minded rookies and defensively minded stone golems.

Our goaltending is below average. Yes they are hung out to dry, but they are consistently bad. Both of them.

Wilson is not to blame. He may very well lose his job anyway, but the team was overachieving. Everyone had them pegged to miss the playoffs. And they will.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:54 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Kids/Fans,

"You're only as good as you are."

It's a cliche, but it rings true in all of professional sports. When teams are good they win and if they have mishaps they still find a way to win. If you don't win you only have yourself to blame. When you lose then you are not a winner. No one cares about locker room issues, injuries, fans, media, etc. When a team loses players are demoted/traded, assistant coaches get fired, coaches get fired, and then GM's. Don't think for a second that TMLSE is a faceless entity. If the product is not a winning product changes always get made.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:55 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post

First line lacks a center. Second line was a flash in the pan. Third line is non-existent. Fourth line cannot play defense.

We have a hot-head Captain who excels at neither offense or defense, and a whole host of offensively minded rookies and defensively minded stone golems.

Our goaltending is below average. Yes they are hung out to dry, but they are consistently bad. Both of them.

Wilson is not to blame. He may very well lose his job anyway, but the team was overachieving. Everyone had them pegged to miss the playoffs. And they will.
Being in the top ten (I believe he's 7th) in the league scoring for D, I'd say he excells offensively.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:56 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post

Most Coaches, GM's in the league have past relationships. The NHL is a small world.
Just like there's a good chance he hires Carlyle, once he fires Wilson. Why wouldn't he hire the guy who he won a cup with in Anaheim?

Old
03-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
What is dumb is assuming that Burke is going to let Wilson dictate how his career is going to proceed.
Who said that Wilson is going to dictate how is career is going to be/end?

The picture posted just shows evidence to the good relationship that they have together, which also shows evidence why Burke might keep Ron on no matter what happens this season.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post

Agreed. But in saying that, we ARE better then finishing 10th, soon to be 11th or 12th with Buffalo and Tampa a point behind us.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:00 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:

The picture posted just shows evidence to the good relationship that they have together, which also shows evidence why Burke might keep Ron on no matter what happens this season.
If that was true, why give his ol buddy Ron a one year contract extension? Doesn't scream "job security" if you ask me.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

I like how you questioned my post and then in the next sentence confirmed it.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
I like how you questioned my post and then in the next sentence confirmed it.
I like how you don't understand what I am trying to get at Moose.

Wilson is not going to dictate his career with the Leafs. At the end of the day, Burke will.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:05 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I like how you don't understand what I am trying to get at Moose.

Wilson is not going to dictate his career with the Leafs. At the end of the day, Burke will.
I wrote that Burke is not going to let the coaching situation govern Burke's career going forward.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
I was being sarcastic to make a point.

Here's a fact: no one on these boards knows what Brian Burke is thinking. No one.

Maybe, just maybe, it's possible that he legitimately thinks Wilson is doing a good job, and isn't to blame for this team's failures? Maybe the fact that they are friends has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I don't know. But I'm not claiming to, unlike most of the rest of the "Fire Wilson" bandwagon.
That shouldn't get in the way of us to draw certain conclusions, given the facts, as free thinking individuals we're entitled to voice our opinions.

Who's to blame then? The players? If so, it goes straight back to the top. Not the players? Okay then it's the coaching. See how there's no one else to hold accountable for these woes? Oh wait, there's one more.

TORONTO? Ooo it's a pressure cooker! Not many people can play in this atmosphere because fans are so demanding!!!! GET OUT OF TOWN THEN. Do you see million dollar soccer players folding up at Old Trafford? HELL NO. They love it.

Perhaps if Wilson implemented a DEFENSE FIRST kind of game, instead of a 'run and gun' double edged sword one, he wouldn't be in this mess. Maybe have a coach that doesn't juggle lines hoping in the off chance that chemistry will magically click with players that RARELY play with each other. Oh yeah. Sooo smart!

Leafs aren't talented enough to run an offensively minded game. Like Alex Burrows says, he loves playing the Leafs because they're so predictable. It's so sad when other players on other teams can point out all of our flaws and no one in Leafs management can see it.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
I wrote that Burke is not going to let the coaching situation govern Burke's career going forward.
Oh, so you are saying that Burke will not keep Wilson if that means that Burke's career will be in danger too? I agree. I thought you meant Wilson's career.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:12 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:

Burke will never fire him! Lol
I'm trying to figure out how they're both captains.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:13 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
That shouldn't get in the way of us to draw certain conclusions, given the facts, as free thinking individuals we're entitled to voice our opinions.

Who's to blame then? The players? If so, it goes straight back to the top. Not the players? Okay then it's the coaching. See how there's no one else to hold accountable for these woes? Oh wait, there's one more.

TORONTO? Ooo it's a pressure cooker! Not many people can play in this atmosphere because fans are so demanding!!!! GET OUT OF TOWN THEN. Do you see million dollar soccer players folding up at Old Trafford? HELL NO. They love it.

Perhaps if Wilson implemented a DEFENSE FIRST kind of game, instead of a 'run and gun' double edged sword one, he wouldn't be in this mess. Maybe have a coach that doesn't juggle lines hoping in the off chance that chemistry will magically click with players that RARELY play with each other. Oh yeah. Sooo smart!

Leafs aren't talented enough to run an offensively minded game. Like Alex Burrows says, he loves playing the Leafs because they're so predictable. It's so sad when other players on other teams can point out all of our flaws and no one in Leafs management can see it.
Burrows should shut up and thank his lucky stars that he is on a good team that has been together essentially since the Luongo trade.

Kind of a waste of a rant because NHL players have admitted that they don't want to play in Toronto because of the media and fan pressure.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post

Of course I'm guessing, and of course I don't know that. What am I a MIND READER?

Can I reasonably assume it though? Absolutely. Why is Ron Wilson still the head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs? I'll wait.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:14 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Oh, so you are saying that Burke will not keep Wilson if that means that Burke's career will be in danger too? I agree. I thought you meant Wilson's career.
Yes, that is what I am saying. Wilson knows that also, I would imagine.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:15 PM
number72

Quote:
Burrows should shut up and thank his lucky stars that he is on a good team that has been together essentially since the Luongo trade.

Kind of a waste of a rant because NHL players have admitted that they don't want to play in Toronto because of the media and fan pressure.
Media/fan pressure or because the team is not good at winning?

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote