HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

"..buzz in the United Center press box indicated the Leafs coach could be fired

Old
03-01-2012, 05:30 AM
BrixtonBullet
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
I wonder what it feels like to allow less than 3 goals per game
We'll never know..

BrixtonBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:35 AM
KapG

Even if we make the playoffs, most teams in the east would likely smash us in 4 - 5 games.

Hopefully Wilson is held onto for the rest of the season so we can continue on with this inadvertent tank.

*fingers crossed*

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:47 AM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Leave Wilson in for the rest of the season to get us a lottery pick at the draft.

Then fire him and start with a new coach this summer.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Yosho
Logic

Unofficial Buzz?

Is this a new product?

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:55 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

That actually means absolutely nothing like most of what Howard Berger usually has to say. He's basically commenting on the conversation in the press box between reporters.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:00 AM
beaverbrook

Why not Dudley behind the bench as a stop-gap if Wilson is to go?

beaverbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:00 AM
seanlinden

I just don't see how you don't fire Wilson... failing to do so tells the players, and the entire league, that losing is acceptable in Toronto with no repercussions.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:06 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
I just don't see how you don't fire Wilson... failing to do so tells the players, and the entire league, that losing is acceptable in Toronto with no repercussions.
Right now we have to tank, and there isnt a better coach out there besides Wilson for that job.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:06 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
That actually means absolutely nothing like most of what Howard Berger usually has to say. He's basically commenting on the conversation in the press box between reporters.
Ahh,

Much like the Unofficial Fluff that Brady spewed about the locker room rift..

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
We need to tank...he's the best in the business.
He needs 16 more losses to have the record for most losses by a coach in nhl history. Keep him to the end of the season let him get the record we get a lottery pick. Win Win.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:14 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Right now we have to tank, and there isnt a better coach out there besides Wilson for that job.
No, right now we have to show the players on our team, and around the league, that losing is unacceptable. Otherwise we might as well get rid of the Burke 5 in Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, Grabovski & Kulemin because they'll be gone before we ever have a chance to compete again.

It's sad really -- the Leafs were in a playoff spot 2 weeks ago. Even now, they're 4 points out, and you guys want to perpetuate the culture of losing????

Old
03-01-2012, 06:19 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:
As much as i'd love to see Wilson fired , this is how i see it as well . Ronny boy drives a mean tank and he's had alot of expierience doing it .

I usually feel bad for the coach in this type of situation but i have no sympathy for Wilson . He's thrown way to many players under the bus and i'm enjoying watching him during this losing streak .

Last edited by hotpaws: 03-01-2012 at 06:39 AM.
hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:23 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
No, right now we have to show the players on our team, and around the league, that losing is unacceptable. Otherwise we might as well get rid of the Burke 5 in Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, Grabovski & Kulemin because they'll be gone before we ever have a chance to compete again.

It's sad really -- the Leafs were in a playoff spot 2 weeks ago. Even now, they're 4 points out, and you guys want to perpetuate the culture of losing????
I'm suspicious when a supposed Leafs' fan wants to avoid the lone positive outcome from another lost season.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:25 AM
beer123

Burke did his friend a favor by extending Wilson for another year knowing he'd fire him this year. That'll give Wilson a nice severance package.

beer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:37 AM
meng666

I highly doubt Burke will fire Wilson at all. There are too many misfortunes from this season that Burke can use to keep Wilson on. Weak goaltending, inconsistent scoring, young team finding it's legs, etc. etc. Wilson will be here next year!!!

meng666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:42 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
I'm suspicious when a supposed Leafs' fan wants to avoid the lone positive outcome from another lost season.
There is NO positive outcome associated with perpetuating the culture of losing in Toronto.

For all this talk about the Detroit as the model franchise, how many times did they give up on the season because they weren't good enough at the deadline? The reason they are the model franchise, is because there is only ONE thing that matters to upper management.... wins. Not the bull#### spewed in the media, not the pity party on young players, either you win, or you're out.

What about Philly? 1 damn year they fall apart, rebuild, and they're back in the playoffs the next year.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:43 AM
NigelTufnel

I have a feeling he wont be gone until after the winter classic....it's basically in his home town.

I think burke has been lying to us all along and the plan is to get lottery picks this year and next year, while the marlies win calder cups under eakins.

Then, after next year, we just dont extend wilson and burke gets to act like he tried to stick with him or whatever....plus we have tons of money coming off the books so we can grab up some good free agents.

Maybe this was just his plan all along, he knew we needed a long rebuild but had to convince the board that he wasn't going to need that long.

How's that for a conspiracy theory.

NigelTufnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:44 AM
aingefan

If the Marlies have a good long run, and a handful of the kids are expected to play big roles next year, then it's a pretty natural and smooth transition to slide Eakins in, I'd think.
Similar maybe to the trade deadline, let both teams have their run and keep the players there. Do the wash at the end of the year.

aingefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
After this season

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:02 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
There is NO positive outcome associated with perpetuating the culture of losing in Toronto.

For all this talk about the Detroit as the model franchise, how many times did they give up on the season because they weren't good enough at the deadline? The reason they are the model franchise, is because there is only ONE thing that matters to upper management.... wins. Not the bull#### spewed in the media, not the pity party on young players, either you win, or you're out.

What about Philly? 1 damn year they fall apart, rebuild, and they're back in the playoffs the next year.
You're only cementing my suspicions about the level of your Leaf fandom by name dropping Detroit and Philly. Detroit, who haven't had a season to throw away for over 2 decades so there's no reason to bring up their name and Philadelphia who completely and utterly tanked then dismantled their team. So you made no point whatsoever. "Perpetuating the culture of losing" it's really just hollow cliche. The team and the players aren't very good, that's why they're losing.

Old
03-01-2012, 07:09 AM
GrizzLeaf

Anyone think changing the coach this late will even help win some games? I would expect a certain number of games at the beginning where the team plays hard for the new coach. But in the long run, doesn't matter if Wilson stays or goes. Whomever is behind the bench wont have enough time to do much in practices or even as advice to the players, to get them to play differently. These guys have been running and gunning all season, pinching, looking lost in their zone, no cycle in the other zone. No coach is fixing that before the play-offs.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:10 AM
BrixtonBullet
Rookie User

Wilson should just resign from the job and make it easier on his good buddy Burke.

BrixtonBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrixtonBullet View Post
Wilson should just resign from the job and make it easier on his good buddy Burke.
I'm sure Wilson is at the point where he would consider it if not for the fact that he would forfeit his salary next year. He has to be fired in order to be bought out.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
This.

Mansfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Ambassador Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
I'm sure Wilson is at the point where he would consider it if not for the fact that he would forfeit his salary next year. He has to be fired in order to be bought out.
He could pull a "Rick Nash" and ask to be fired.......for the good of the team, ya know.

Ambassador Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote