HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Regier chooses to take the long-term outlook

Old
02-28-2012, 06:27 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 500
Regier chooses to take the long-term outlook

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle743116.ece

Good old Bucky Balls On Chin was fairly predictable. Praise the moves while crapping on them at the same time, and take as many shots at Regier in as you can in the space allotted.

Quote:
Darcy Regier emerged from his office about 45 minutes after the NHL trade deadline passed Monday and started making sense for a change.
Quote:
Let's not start the celebration just yet. If I've learned anything over the years, it's to reserve judgment on Regier's decisions and not overreact to what appeared to be a good move. Expectations soared when he added three players last summer, but the Sabres were in 12th place Monday. It's a recent example among many.
Quote:
Hodgson's stats are impressive when you consider he played less than 13 minutes a night, but they're less so when you realize he had been playing against the third defense pairings while opposing teams tried matching up with the Sedin twins and Kesler on the first two lines. He'll get more ice time in Buffalo, but he might not be as effective with less talent around him.
Quote:
And there's this simple question: Whom would you trust more to make the proper evaluation at this stage, Canucks GM Mike Gillis or Regier?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Clock

Bucky's pathetic attempt to save face.

Cute.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:29 AM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Good old Bucky Balls On Chin

But yeah, this is basically what I expected out of him too.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:30 AM
BowieSabresFan

Did you expect anything else?

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:46 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Trolls gonna troll.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:51 AM
aceface33

He's basically saying: "These moves look good. But since it's Darcy, I will crap on them." I mean that's really what that last quote says.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:09 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I said a month ago that I had limited optimism in Regier and none in Ruff. Given Regier's body of work in the past 9 months, I'm quite a bit more optimistic. He'll never be as active as we want him to be but when he consistently wins the trades that he makes, it's hard to complain too much. The frustrating thing is how he seems to take off from September through February every year.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:54 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
I said a month ago that I had limited optimism in Regier and none in Ruff. Given Regier's body of work in the past 9 months, I'm quite a bit more optimistic. He'll never be as active as we want him to be but when he consistently wins the trades that he makes, it's hard to complain too much. The frustrating thing is how he seems to take off from September through February every year.
Are you assuming he won the trades yesterday?

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:57 AM
puckish66

What's the problem here? Bucky doesn't drink the Kool Aid?

He's annoyed me in the past, sure. I disagree with him a lot. But he's offering reasonable doubt about Hodgson and why the Canucks were so willing to dump him.

The question about what GM you trust is gold. Gold, Jerry.

Regier is hated on these boards, until Bucky hates him.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:01 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Everybody's gotta admit that the moves look good, but they definitely make our team smaller and less physical, which has proven to be at least as big a problem over the years as the lack of a #1C.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:02 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post

He's annoyed me in the past, sure. I disagree with him a lot. But he's offering reasonable doubt about Hodgson and why the Canucks were so willing to dump him.

I'm hoping it was a horrible, horrible mistake by Gillis.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:10 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Are you assuming he won the trades yesterday?
Yes. Zeke is tough to give up, but he plays in a position of strength for the team. Even if he and Hodgson equal out in overall value, the Sabres have needed centers for 5 years. Now they have a 21 year old Calder candidate. Mag for Sulzer is a wash, though I like having more Germans around.

Gaustad for a 1st is an easy win.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:19 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

If you can't objectively look at the moves yesterday and see that Regier made some quality moves, regardless of your opinion of his overall prowess as a GM, your agenda is getting in the way.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:20 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Yes. Zeke is tough to give up, but he plays in a position of strength for the team. Even if he and Hodgson equal out in overall value, the Sabres have needed centers for 5 years. Now they have a 21 year old Calder candidate. Mag for Sulzer is a wash, though I like having more Germans around.

Gaustad for a 1st is an easy win.
I hate to tell you this, but he's probably not actually a Calder candidate. He's in the conversation, maybe, but five kids are scoring a higher PPG (among those playing 43+ games) and a couple defensemen might be in the conversation as well. He's pretty unlikely to get nominated ahead of Nugent-Hopkins, Henrique or Landeskog, at least.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:23 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I hate to tell you this, but he's probably not actually a Calder candidate. He's in the conversation, maybe, but five kids are scoring a higher PPG (among those playing 43+ games) and a couple defensemen might be in the conversation as well. He's pretty unlikely to get nominated ahead of Nugent-Hopkins, Henrique or Landeskog, at least.
He's 5th in rookie scoring, playing 5 less minutes a game than everyone above him.

He'll get votes.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:26 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:

He is throwing negative spin, instead of giving credit for a potentially very good move or two. You call it not drinking Kool AId. I call it a negative campaign against the GM, as he does not seem capable of doing it any other way.

Are you happy with the moves?

I am .... with some reservation. These trades both made sense. You always have to give to get. We needed to get soemething for Gaustad. We got more than everyone thought we would. We gave up a potential rare gem in Kassian, but one with warts such as inconcistency, immaturity, potential lack of drive. We got a talented center, which was desprately needed. We could only get that by giving something of value. Vancouver took a risk also. Who said Vancouver was so willing to dump Hodgson? They gave something that they were deep at to get something they did not have.

That does not warrant that Darcy should get shots every other paragraph by Bucky. Its okay to talk about concerns of losing lack of size or injury history. That doesnt require personal attacks.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:27 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
If you can't objectively look at the moves yesterday and see that Regier made some quality moves, regardless of your opinion of his overall prowess as a GM, your agenda is getting in the way.
Definitely some quality moves. What I take issue with is people talking about him like he's part of the solution for the franchise long term because of it. They were quality moves, but not slam dunks. The Sabres addressed a need and improved their draft position beyond what was expected. They also deepened a pretty comparable need, getting smaller and less physical. Meanwhile, a prime opportunity to shake up the core in more significant ways was passed over. That alone is the most alarming thing for me, because we've been moving complimentary pieces around them for five years and expecting them to start leading, and it hasn't happened. It looks as though Regier found a quality player to fill a need, but is also committed to continuing to build around the core. What we needed this trade deadline was a big swap of the current core, to shake up the culture and possibly add tenacity. We didn't get it.

So the question at the end of the day for me still is: would you bet on this team, as it's currently composed, making the playoffs next year?

Old
02-28-2012, 08:30 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
He's 5th in rookie scoring, playing 5 less minutes a game than everyone above him.

He'll get votes.
If the ice time is a factor for you, I suggest you take note that he's played 9 more games than Henrique, 19 more than RNH, and 5 more than Read, who is also ahead of him in scoring. And some of those players are playing against the opposition's shutdown defense.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:31 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
If the ice time is a factor for you, I suggest you take note that he's played 9 more games than Henrique, 19 more than RNH, and 5 more than Read, who is also ahead of him in scoring. And some of those players are playing against the opposition's shutdown defense.
I'm not saying a lock. I'm simply saying I think he's more in the mix than you're giving him credit for.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:32 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Getting votes = Calder candidate.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:33 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Definitely some quality moves. What I take issue with is people talking about him like he's part of the solution for the franchise long term because of it. They were quality moves, but not slam dunks. The Sabres addressed a need and improved their draft position beyond what was expected. They also deepened a pretty comparable need, getting smaller and less physical. Meanwhile, a prime opportunity to shake up the core in more significant ways was passed over. That alone is the most alarming thing for me, because we've been moving complimentary pieces around them for five years and expecting them to start leading, and it hasn't happened. It looks as though Regier found a quality player to fill a need, but is also committed to continuing to build around the core. What we needed this trade deadline was a big swap of the current core, to shake up the culture and possibly add tenacity. We didn't get it.

So the question at the end of the day for me still is: would you bet on this team, as it's currently composed, making the playoffs next year?
By this you mean moving Roy, and if you had listened to Regier yesterday, you'd know that more people called about Gaustad than Roy. So that should tell you that move wasn't there.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Gillis did a great job evaluating youth when he traded Grabner for Ballard.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
puckish66

Quote:
"Quality" moves? Sure. He did his job and got something for Gaustad. I don't buy into the rhetoric of "getting a first" because it's Nashville's first, plus he gave up a fourth. But, Regier had a four foot putt with a slight break and drained it. Most pros will make that putt.

I think only time will tell who won the Hodgson trade. The risk is why I like the trade. It shows me something -- plus Regier filled a need.

Does it change my opinion of Regier? No. He's done a good enough job overall for 14 years, but he has too many faults, he's not the right guy to build a championship machine and I'm tired of looking at his face.

Last edited by puckish66: 02-28-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old
02-28-2012, 08:42 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
"Quality" moves? Sure. He did his job and got something for Gaustad. I don't buy into the rhetoric of "getting a first" because it's Nashville's first, plus he gave up a fourth. But, Regier had a four foot putt with a slight break and drained it. Most pros will make that putt.

I think only time will tell who won the Hodgson trade. The risk is why I like the trade. It shows me something -- plus Regier filled a need.

Does it change my opinion of Regier? No. He's done a good enough job overall for 14 years, but he has too faults, he's not the right guy to build a championship machine and I'm tired of looking at his face.
Nashville's first packaged with other picks could be a wonderful thing for us. Don't discount it.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:44 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

A first round pick for your 3rd/4th line center as a rental is a good return, no matter where in the first round that pick may land.

Considering the general consensus by every knowledgeable hockey person was that Regier was high to expect a first, yet still got it, should tell you that getting that pick was not a 'tap in' as you say. Nashville's GM said yesterday he made 15 phone calls to Buffalo yesterday. That doesn't sound like a routine, run of the mill, anyone could do it deal.

Frankly, I think the Hodgson trade is an absolute steal, but that's probably because of where I've been on Kassian for some time.

I've also been of the mindset that Regier should move on for a while now. That being said, I still give him full marks for what he did yesterday.