HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL II

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
so after 8 years, the bertuzzi/court/moore suit hasn't been settled ... yeah the high ball figure that he's looking for (reportedly 34 mil) is a friggin' joke

Old
08-08-2012, 02:39 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

We're talking about a guy who could have easily made $1m over the course of 6-8 years in the NHL. There's at least $6m-$8m in salary just from hockey. On top of that, he has a degree from Harvard in environmental science. That absolutely has to be factored into potential earning ability which is a HUGE part of a lawsuit like this.

$34m might be a bit high, but it's part of the business of a lawsuit. Just like we were discussing in the Weber arbitration, you want to go in and aim high. His $34m is less of a joke than the $1m that Bertuzzi offered as a settlement. Moore's injuries haven't simply knocked him out of the NHL, but his brain injuries were so substantial that he has been unable to carry on any other career for which he would otherwise be qualified.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I watched Moore played that year. He easily could have eked out a Vernon Fiddler type career. If you look at Fiddler's career earnings, this is pretty sumbstantial.

08-09-2012, 01:32 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector

NHLPA counterproposal expected Tuesday, Don Fehr says.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Butler signs a two way deal in NJ. Would have definetly taken him on that here.

Old
08-09-2012, 05:40 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Butler signs a two way deal in NJ. Would have definetly taken him on that here.
not bagging on you specifically T6S, but this comment is frequently made after a player signs elsewhere, with the implication being that if poile had tried, he could have signed the player here for the same deal...

why would anyone assume that?

Old
08-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
not bagging on you specifically T6S, but this comment is frequently made after a player signs elsewhere, with the implication being that if poile had tried, he could have signed the player here for the same deal...

why would anyone assume that?
I typically point that out when other people do it, and I'm not criticizing Poile at all. For all I know, he did offer him that. It was more of a "definetly like him on that deal, good for NJD". Bad working on my part.

I did think Poile would take a run, and he very well might have. Typical reclamation project.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Broom of the System

Bobby Butler has a pretty darn good shot. He's also poor defensively, weak physically, not very fast, and looked very lazy last year. No thanks.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:28 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Early word is that the players counter isn't all that bad. Good start if true.

Old
08-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Well, it looks like the Hockey Gods were mad about Philly's offersheet. They don't get Weber, then Mez and Lilja both sustain injuries that will make them miss a good chunk of the year. This on top of Pronger probably not playing. wow.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:23 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Rumors pointing at Buffalo making that crazy offer to Doan. Pegula is nuts. Rich...but nuts.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Rumors pointing at Buffalo making that crazy offer to Doan. Pegula is nuts. Rich...but nuts.
The correct term is "eccentric".

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
08-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Firestorm

Taylor Hall signs at $6M for 7 years. People who laughed at Jeff Skinner's similar deal are praising this one.

Figures...

Old
09-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Everlong
-

Landeskog, the youngest captain in NHL history. Holy cow. I knew the kid had character and could eventually be the captain, but at this age!? Well, it worked for Crosby and Toews. Shocking none the less.

Old
09-07-2012, 08:52 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Looks like the option of having Doan on an inflated price tag is gone.

Old
09-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Looks like the option of having Doan on an inflated price tag is gone.
I wouldn't slam the door shut yet. Jamison still has to close the deal and while that looks like it moving along right now...it's never that easy. I'd say Doan is 95% off the market, but really I never thought he was really on the market anyhow.

If Jamison can't get the deal closed, then Doan will truly be on the market.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:49 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

When I heard Cola was signed by the Wings I instantly imagined Wings practice where Tootoo 'accidentally' steamrolls' Carlo rips off his Wings jersey revealing a Preds jersey under it and then the announcer screaming 'Oh My God! That's David Poile's music!'. The view turns to David Poile with a troll face.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:53 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
When I heard Cola was signed by the Wings I instantly imagined Wings practice where Tootoo 'accidentally' steamrolls' Carlo rips off his Wings jersey revealing a Preds jersey under it and then the announcer screaming 'Oh My God! That's David Poile's music!'. The view turns to David Poile with a troll face.
Not for a 2 year/$5 mil price tag. I like the Hannan deal way more right now.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

A rumor came out that Fehr has decided "if the NHL's next offer is worse, our response will abolish the salary cap". Responsive rumor came from the NHL camp today that they would consider hiring replacement players, much the like NFL did referees, to break the union.

At first glance, this idea is AWFUL, and im still not a huge fan, but hey, it'd be hockey at dirt cheap prices. If they just do it until the lockout ends, i guess it'd be an ok temporary thing. Gives 300 players a story to tell their kids and us something to talk about. Maybe it will be the big break for one or two guys. Couldn't hurt, anyway.

If this happens, and I doubt it will, I sincerely hope Poile and Co. will realize what a joke this league will be and hold open tryouts for Nashville players. It'd be an easy way to get some home-grown players to "make the NHL". Mr. Poile, I'd like to be one of the goalies please

Old
09-18-2012, 05:41 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Is the commentator Tom Callahan or Jim Ross?

Old
09-26-2012, 03:21 AM
Everlong
-

Sometime in August knowing that the lockout was imminent, each team had to submit a list of CHL players they would consider bringing up for a tryout as you normally would be able to in a regular season. Unsurprisingly the Preds didn't submit a list of players. Full article shows the rest of the players included from around the league.

Full Article: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406102

Quote:
If or when the NHL lockout ends, some of its teams will have a chance to bring up a pre-arranged number of CHL junior players for their lineups.

As reported by TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie on Twitter and TSN's Insider Trading feature on Tuesday, NHL teams had to submit a short list last month of no more than two or three drafted CHL juniors they would like to recall if the work stoppage ends and a shortened season gets under way.

-----

Submitting a player's name on the list doesn't mean he will be recalled when the lockout ends, but makes him eligible for consideration.

These players could be recalled to tryout for their respective NHL teams and then normal rules would apply for keeping them or sending them back to junior.

The dynamics of the arrangement are subject to change depending on how long the lockout wears on.
Considering we don't have many upper-tier prospects in the CHL league to begin with it's not exactly groundbreaking. But hey, news is news.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:32 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

what it also shows for the glass half full people is that we have pretty good depth and are comfortable with the kids in milwaukee to fill in bottom six roles if neccessary. (assuming bottom sixers are promoted to top 6 roles in the event of injury)

Old
09-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Everlong
-

I'm pretty high on Roussel, but he'll only be called upon on an emergency basis. I'm also assuming both Watson and Shalla play for the Ads this year.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:16 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Sometime in August knowing that the lockout was imminent, each team had to submit a list of CHL players they would consider bringing up for a tryout as you normally would be able to in a regular season. Unsurprisingly the Preds didn't submit a list of players. Full article shows the rest of the players included from around the league.

Full Article: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406102

Considering we don't have many upper-tier prospects in the CHL league to begin with it's not exactly groundbreaking. But hey, news is news.
I would say this says more about the Preds philosophy of not rushing junior prospects as much as anything

Old
09-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I would say this says more about the Preds philosophy of not rushing junior prospects as much as anything
Given that there aren't any junior prospects of significance to be rushed in the first place, that's an easy position to be in. Seriously, who would be called up in the first place? Colton Scissons?

All the significant folks are either already Admirals or in Europe.
EDIT: or in the NCAA *cough*cough*budish*cough*

Closed Thread