HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Michael Leighton

Old
08-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Michael Leighton

Who do you guys think we'll see this year?

The one that helped save our season in 09/10

or

The one that ruined our season in 09/10

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:19 AM
FlyingHigh13

vCash: 500
Will be an adequate backup for 15-20 games. W/L 9-6-3 with sv% .903. Happy to have him as backup so Bryz can play more (get in the groove) and not look over his shoulder cause no one is going to call out for Michael Leighton.

FlyingHigh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:22 AM
thelos
Bunk

I would expect something in between. Hopefully he is a competent backup.

I dont really like having him and Bryz together, as they are both big goalies who have similar weaknesses(though MFL much worse).

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Flyerfan4life

i cant wait to see him play..

im a serious Leights fanboi..

but i have to temper my giddyness, everytime i was looking forward to seeing him play, something bad would happen.. like injury/sent down, or any other string of bad news bears..

so ima just sit back and watch/see what happens..

gotta imagine he either plays "leights out" this time or his NHL career is over..

theres no question, its Flyers or bust for him now..

ps did he get to keep his number 49 ???

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:09 AM
turkinaa

He's pretty much a quad A player (can play well in/above minor league talent but any hope to break out into the NHL is gone making him a fringe goalie). As long as he can make saves that he should be making, he'll be a fine back-up to give Bryz a rest. When you have low/no expectations for him hopefully you won't be dissapointed. Anything more is a bonus. At least his cap hit isn't very high.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:51 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
he's terrible and not an NHL goalie

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:06 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I expect him to throw the D under the bus a lot this year (whether warranted or not) and not take responsibility for his own suckiness when he does play which I hope is limited even if Bryz gets run down by the playoffs (if we make it) like in prior years with Phoenix...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:56 PM
DrHamburg

plays 20 games, goes 11-7-2 (something similar) save % around .900-.905. Decent backup but when he loses will get killed around here.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:13 PM
FlyersFan61290

I never liked him and it honestly had nothing to do with the SCF. I always thought he was below average especially in his rebound control. and his lateral movement scares the crap out of me, he looks like he's gonna slid all the way to the boards half the time.

with that said i think he'll fill the back-up role well

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:32 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I expect him to be waived at least once.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I expect him to throw the D under the bus a lot this year (whether warranted or not) and not take responsibility for his own suckiness when he does play which I hope is limited even if Bryz gets run down by the playoffs (if we make it) like in prior years with Phoenix...
No precedent for any if that other than him sucking.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:43 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Vezina

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:53 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I never liked him and it honestly had nothing to do with the SCF. I always thought he was below average especially in his rebound control. and his lateral movement scares the crap out of me, he looks like he's gonna slid all the way to the boards half the time.

with that said i think he'll fill the back-up role well

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Yeahhhh. He's failed every time he's been in a backup role. There is no precedent for him being a good backup. Good backups don't spend their career mostly in the AHL.

08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Yeahhhh. He's failed every time he's been in a backup role. There is no precedent for him being a good backup. Good backups don't spend their career mostly in the AHL.
Amen.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:45 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I don't give 2 ****s about Leights. Maybe he'll injure himself and a decent back up will come up....

I guess 18 games played:

7 W
8 L
3 SOL

2.87 GAA
898 Sv %

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
No precedent for any if that other than him sucking.
This is not entirely accurate..there is precedent. He threw the d under the bus in a post game interview during the playoffs that year he pooped the bed in the finals. Even Tocchet was surprised and said he hoped he didnt hear what he thought he heard. However, yes its a bit harsh but there is also precedent with him being duplicitous about his back and just not being NHL caliber material. .

Old
08-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
This is not entirely accurate..there is precedent. He threw the d under the bus in a post game interview during the playoffs that year he pooped the bed in the finals. Even Tocchet was surprised and said he hoped he didnt hear what he thought he heard. However, yes its a bit harsh but there is also precedent with him being duplicitous about his back and just not being NHL caliber material. .
I think that they misunderstood what he said about Sean O'Donnell at the end of that playoff game. O'Donnell went for a block that ended up as a screen because the puck got by him. When asked why a shot that looked sort of harmless got by he mentioned the screen that O'Donnell set as he was trying to block the shot. Then he expounded saying "he has to make that play there."

I heard that as "it's not his fault he screened me, trying to block that shot is the play to make there, everytime". How they heard it was "he has to successfully block that shot, he has to make that play there".

Who's take on it was right? I can't swear to know, but my take on it is more consistent with how Leighton has carried himself before and since. If he really was blaming O'Donnelll, then it's the only time I've ever heard him do it.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 08-15-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:02 PM
BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:33 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
I think that they misunderstood what he said about Sean O'Donnell at the end of that playoff game. O'Donnell went for a block that ended up as a screen because the puck got by him. When asked why a shot that looked sort of harmless got by he mentioned the screen that O'Donnell set as he was trying to block the shot. Then he expounded saying "he has to make that play there."

I heard that as "it's not his fault he screened me, trying to block that shot is the play to make there, everytime". How they heard it was "he has to successfully block that shot, he has to make that play there".

Who's take on it was right? I can't swear to know, but my take on it is more consistent with how Leighton has carried himself before and since. If he really was blaming O'Donnelll, then it's the only time I've ever heard him do it.
I interpreted that the same way you did.

I expect we'll see 09/10 Leighton minus the horrific nut-punch Pat Kane goal which was a real fluke even for Leighton. He'll be adequate on 1st shots because of his size but if we lose anymore d-men and opponents crash the crease at will he'll give up too many rebound goals and look bad (as will Bryz).

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I interpreted that the same way you did.

I expect we'll see 09/10 Leighton minus the horrific nut-punch Pat Kane goal which was a real fluke even for Leighton. He'll be adequate on 1st shots because of his size but if we lose anymore d-men and opponents crash the crease at will he'll give up too many rebound goals and look bad (as will Bryz).
His 09-10 season is a complete anomaly, so I wouldn't expect it to be repeated.

The Kane goal really wasn't a fluke. If a puck didn't hit his chest or pads it generally went in. If he had to move his limbs it was likely not getting saved. He let in more than a few "wtf" goals that year; there's a reason nearly everyone got nervous whenever the puck crossed the red line...any shot on net had a good chance of randomly going in.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:55 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
That's exactly what I'm talking about

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:

you understood it right...

its only the people who want to find him at fault read it as Leights throwing the D under the bus..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:53 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Don't give a crap Bryz is going to have a great year if there is one and hope i don't see much of the bum..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

While your interpretation is plausible I think some of the criticism of Leighton when he addressed that question from the reporter was that he chose to deflect some of the responsibility at the outset when it was primarily his bad misplay that was responsible for the goal. He should have just manned up. The criticism was not completely unreasonable given the context ...but that is my interpretation. I just don't completely trust his character/integrity and mental fortitude. I mean he imploded in the finals and then went AWOL after that critical game 6 against Buffalo that he started b/c Lavi had one of his playoff brainfarts...