Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Curious Bruins fan

Old
03-04-2012, 08:23 PM
BoobaFett

vCash: 500
Curious Bruins fan

The Wild have been a favorite if mine since the days of Gaborik and Fernandez, but I have been pretty bad at keeping a grip on what's going on in the organization.

I am just wondering how Spurgeon and Scandella have been playing and what the potential on these 2 are. Also, a quick check in on Kampfer's play?

BoobaFett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Kampfer did decent tonight. Was one of the few Wild players who was spotted doing good tonight.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:30 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Spurgeon has been IMO our best Defender this season. Granted that's not saying a lot, but he's a smart kid that knows how to play.

Scandy has been inconsistent. One game he'll look like a future #2 D man, the other he'll just be really bad.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:33 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Scandella looked absolutely lost tonight. Even by the standards of the rest of this bunch of failures.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Pretty much the longer a player is with the Wild, the worse they get. Spurgeon was great until a couple months ago. Scandella's been pretty mediocre to bad this year. Kampfer looked pretty good, but I'm sure he'll turn to crap soon.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:44 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Pretty much the longer a player is with the Wild, the worse they get. Spurgeon was great until a couple months ago. Scandella's been pretty mediocre to bad this year. Kampfer looked pretty good, but I'm sure he'll turn to crap soon.
That's not true! Some of them get better!

Right up until their inevitable long-term injury.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
I hate to say it but I think this is spot on. I dont know if its just been the coaching that weve had ever since our first season, the trainers, or what, but players suddenly suck when they put on a Wild sweater.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:52 PM
mnwildgophers

Our goalies don't seem to play bad.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Our goalies don't seem to play bad.
They get streaky. But then I guess most goalies do.

Old
03-04-2012, 11:17 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
They get streaky. But then I guess most goalies do.
I'm just saying, there are some good players on our team, just this year didn't work out so well because of the injuries. Our start put most fans in a spot where we thought the playoffs were a lock. It's a shame really because we weren't that good once we lost those 3 top 6 forwards. It's what killed us. The Bouchard injury really really hurt us.

The hope is that next year will be better, and that we'll have better depth, but who knows if that will actually pan out for us? My thinking is that we will probably be a bubble team that can make the playoffs if things shake right. If we add one of Parise and/or Suter, then the bar will be raised to at least making the playoffs at a minimum.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:38 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Holy disillusioned cynics batman. It's sad to see how far some of you have fallen.

Spurgeon has continued to exceed all reasonable expectations. He's calm on the ice, willing to get physical (as humorous as 5'7" getting physical is), and up until the trades had been our most reliable breakout guy. He has trouble keeping the puck in on the point, and can get muscled off the puck due to his size, but he's a 2nd/3rd pairing guy who does what he needs to do every night.

Scandella looked fantastic until his concussion. When he returned, he just didn't have the same jump in his step and he played a bit poorly. Poor play turned to a lack of confidence and he was sent back to Houston for a bit. He's been much better as of late, but has been a little more streaky than we'd like.

We've only had the one viewing of Kampfer (he had been sent down to Houston until yesterday's game) but I've liked what we've seen so far. I was admittedly not watching that closely after we immediately went down 2-0, but what I saw from Kampfer was mostly positive.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We can't have another "stay healthy" year. Gotta get lots and lots of depth.

For the record, I'm not necessarily saying that the Wild are screwing up the development of every player or that the coaching is bad...it's just that when a player comes here via trade or free agency, they tend to play better at first and then disappear.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:24 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Holy disillusioned cynics batman. It's sad to see how far some of you have fallen.
Well look how far the team has fallen. Leading the league in mid-December and in a position where no team had ever historically missed the playoffs, and now they're wrapping up their worst season since the first 2 years as an expansion team.

How can you not be cynical after that?

Old
03-05-2012, 11:31 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Well look how far the team has fallen. Leading the league in mid-December and in a position where no team had ever historically missed the playoffs, and now they're wrapping up their worst season since the first 2 years as an expansion team.

How can you not be cynical after that?
A team that lost 3 of their top 4 players to long term injury went on a long losing streak to miss the playoffs after doing well to start the season. I don't see how that justifies the claim that donning a Wild jersey sucks all the talent and ability out of players and that signing with this team makes people horrible.

Be negative about what happened this year all you'd like, but please don't jump off the deep end because of a few hockey games.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:36 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
A team that lost 3 of their top 4 players to long term injury went on a long losing streak to miss the playoffs after doing well to start the season. I don't see how that justifies the claim that donning a Wild jersey sucks all the talent and ability out of players and that signing with this team makes people horrible.

Be negative about what happened this year all you'd like, but please don't jump off the deep end because of a few hockey games.
Actually I don't think it makes most players worse. I think it does for some––maybe even a higher proportion than most NHL teams––but I don't think that's the problem at all. I'm more concerned about why donning a Wild jersey turns ever player into a sheet of glass.

We've had several consecutive seasons ruined by injuries now. At some point that excuse gets a little stale. I don't know if it's the trainers or the system or the personnel but as far as I'm concerned, the biggest problem on this team isn't the blueline or the lack of scoring depth or the goaltending or the forecheck, it's their inability to keep players healthy.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:52 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Actually I don't think it makes most players worse. I think it does for some––maybe even a higher proportion than most NHL teams––but I don't think that's the problem at all. I'm more concerned about why donning a Wild jersey turns ever player into a sheet of glass.

We've had several consecutive seasons ruined by injuries now. At some point that excuse gets a little stale. I don't know if it's the trainers or the system or the personnel but as far as I'm concerned, the biggest problem on this team isn't the blueline or the lack of scoring depth or the goaltending or the forecheck, it's their inability to keep players healthy.
There might have been people weakly waving the injury excuse around in years past, but it would have had no bite. There is maybe two teams in the league who could handle 3 of their 4 best forwards missing extended amounts of time simultaneously. This season's injuries have been unprecedented in the history of the team, and likely have not been matched in the league in a very long time.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:56 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
There might have been people weakly waving the injury excuse around in years past, but it would have had no bite. There is maybe two teams in the league who could handle 3 of their 4 best forwards missing extended amounts of time simultaneously. This season's injuries have been unprecedented in the history of the team, and likely have not been matched in the league in a very long time.
I don't think there's anything weak about the injury excuse in 2009; the difference it made when Gaborik was healthy was so obvious.

In 2010 it wasn't quite as bad, but I definitely remember many people blaming the 2011 season on Latendresse's injury.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Dr Jan Itor

It's injuries coupled with no depth, thanks to 2004-08. I mean, a guy we picked up off of waivers is our 5th best/skilled forward right now. That should never happen.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's not just injuries, it's lack of depth. Yes they had bad luck this year but there is no secondary scoring and the primary scoring wasn't high end anyway. There aren't any 80-point players on this team, let alone 100-point elite guys.

But really it comes down to a defensive collapse. They give up goals like candy. The young defense is completely terrible. It's disorganized as hell with numerous breakdowns per game. Yes it makes sense that scoring is down since the talent went out, but there's no reason they should be giving up so many more scoring chances.

Old
03-05-2012, 12:02 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

More depth is great, but doesn't solve the problem. My point is that something about playing here makes players more injury-prone. I don't know if it's something about the training staff, or something about the coaching, or something about the type of players Fletcher goes after, but it's true and it's pretty hard to ignore. Everyone keeps saying we can't spend another year hoping everyone's healthy; I agree, but I really don't know what we can do proactively to ensure our team stays healthy.

Old
03-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There's nothing magical going on here.

Wild are 10th in man games lost to injury, as of a couple weeks ago.

Old
03-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:

114 top six forward man-games lost. Not magical, but I'm willing to bet that there are less than 9 teams with more than that.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:59 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Minnesota's injury problems have more to do with who is injured rather than how many players are injured.

The Wild just don't have the depth to help offset all these injuries to the top end players on the roster. We don't really need to look into it any more deeply than that.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:17 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

Habs and Penguins report suspensions (league imposed or team imposed) as man-games lost. Also, I'm sorry, but losing a handful of league minimum salary guys for several weeks didn't hurt the Pens. They lost Crosby for basically the season, but otherwise they lost something like a combined 20 games between the rest of their top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen.

If you look at that list, the number of top 10 injured teams that are currently in playoff position is 4. Two of those are in the notoriously weak southeast division, one is Pittsburgh whom I discussed already, and the fourth is St. Louis who has had injuries to Perron and a dozen players you couldn't name the team they played for had I not already told you it was St. Louis.

Finally, since that data is from 2/17/12, and the Wild have played 9 more games since then (missing Koivu, Bouchard, Latendresse, Stoner, and Lundin for all of them, as well as spot injuries to a number of other players means we have an additional 50-60 man games lost since then) while the majority of the other teams have not had significant games lost, I'm going to say it's not a useful figure at all.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Actually Malkin missed 7 games, but Staal, Letang, and Michalek all missed over 20. And of course, Crosby.