HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The CHL might ban fighting

Old
03-01-2012, 12:19 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

vCash: 500
The CHL might ban fighting

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...-extinct-good/

If the USA Hockey decision to push checking from Pee Wee to Bantam for safety reasons caused a huge ruckus, I can't wait to see what happens with this!

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

If the USA Hockey decision to push checking from Pee Wee to Bantam for safety reasons caused a huge ruckus, I can't wait to see what happens with this!
It wouldn't be nearly the same ruckus. You'd have a handful of traditionalist hockey fans who follow the CHL (myself included) that would be outraged.

But taking away checking from peewee's is/was IDIOTIC AND MORE UNSAFE, and impacted a much larger group of people. Sorry, but the older you are when you introduce contact, the less prepared you are to brace for it or take it, and the harder the actual impact is because the size of the kids. This outcry was about millions of kids...the CHL is a much smaller sample size to USA Hockey.

I'm a Bantam travel coach. I won't be able to tell next year how it'll impact the first-years, because this coming season's first year players were playing with checking as first-year peewee's. So I'm less worried about them, and won't be able to gauge the impact truly until two years from now.

But it's ****ing stupid. As would banning fighting from OHL be.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

Checking =/= fighting. Apples and oranges.

That being said it should be interesting to see how this goes down.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
Checking =/= fighting. Apples and oranges.

That being said it should be interesting to see how this goes down.
Yes and no.

If this happens, it will be interesting to see if that has a ripple effect in reducing fighting in the pro game.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Fader

There would be outrage across the CHL. I am a season ticket holder and have been for many years. I think this is just a plan to eliminate enforcers from the game.

If you cant fight all the way up to the NHL what is going to make you become an enforcer suddenly. Obviously getting drafted you have the potential and skill to play in the league so why play the old just fight role. In 3-5 years you will only see the spur of the moment fights and never a good old fashion opening faceoff tilt.

I really hope this does not happen as it sells tickets and always will, not to mention its part of the game and always should be. Players have the option, let them chose, its not like headshots that you have no control over, its a way of keeping the game honest.

Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...rhockey,wp7848

David Branch touched on it in an interview last night.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

Most of the world banned bare knuckle boxing close to a century ago. I have no problems with our 16 year old kids following suit. Don't get me wrong, I think MMA should be allowed in New York. At 25-28, do what you want. But most (95+%) of these kids will never advance beyond the junior level. The risk is not worth the reward.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:46 PM
LGB24

Just listened to the Gino Reda interview with David Branch on the radio. He says he doesn't necessarily want to get rid of it completely but his main focus is to get rid of stage fighting. In order to do this he wants players tossed from the game for a fight, but still says its hard to implement that rule too because of some situations

I really hope that rule isn't introduced. Sure that helps stage fighting but say a 4th liner runs the goalie and your star is the only one back. If he drops the gloves he's gone, if he doesn't he's soft.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote