HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

is this the year that the islanders finally...

Old
03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Islander Prophet

vCash: 500
We really need to try hard, even if it's a little overpayment. Getting Suter or Parise would be the best thing for this organization

MAKE IT HAPPEN GARTH

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Suter or Parise aren't going to sign with the Islanders. They want to win now. No offense.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:05 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchbot 3000 View Post
Suter or Parise aren't going to sign with the Islanders. They want to win now. No offense.
and if the isles were to throw a contract that offered them 8 or 9 per it would show that the isles want to win now too, and are being serious about taking the next step

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:11 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichFromLongIsland View Post
I honestly think this might be the year where we land one or two top free agents. I don't see why Parise wouldn't want to come here, considering his family's history with the Isles. Also, Parise is great friends with some of our players, like Kyle Okposo.

Another name to keep an eye on is Suter. The Isles have only three d-men under contract for next season (Streit, Macdonald, Hamonic), that leaves three available spots on the blueline and I do not think Snow wants to fill those spots with prospects or rookies.

I don't know if any of you have been to Long Island, but it's a great place to live. You're also only a quick train ride to the city, if you like all that non-stop activity. Sure, the taxes are crazy, but professional hockey players should not have a problem with that.

One last thing, if we can clean up the mess of a coaching staff we have, the Isles can be serious playoff contenders once again.
Parise has made a few interesting comments this season.

He's said that he wants to win and he questioned whether the Devils,with their financial trouble,would be forced to spend closer to the cap floor.He pointed out the advantage teams spending near the cap ceiling have.

I'd love to be wrong ,,have to eat crow over my doubts.
I just don't see Parise coming to the bottom feeding Isles ,no matter how big a selling job his buddy Okposo pulls.

I am hopeful that Cappy is replaced.I think he's done a lousy job developing too many of the young players.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:11 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
Snow and Wang have tried to get big UFA's to come here......they have tried to over pay within reason......

Fact is Big Time UFa's do not want to play here yet....

Weather it is Isles are still rebuilding....or The Building Sucks....for reasons...

In the end it is about adding the right Player is what matters...many times overpaying for a player ends up in disaster

There will come a day when UFa's will will want to be on the Island......Not sure if it will be this summer or not.....
I've bolded your key statement above.... ."within reason".

If they want a top UFA, it clearly can't be within reason.

They need to significantly overpay... like it or not.

They'll be the reason why the UFA market explodes.

However, I'm predicting that Chuckles The Cheap once again cheaps out and the Isles go bargain basement hunting. Their annual right of passage.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:14 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
and if the isles were to throw a contract that offered them 8 or 9 per it would show that the isles want to win now too, and are being serious about taking the next step
If 8 or 9 is what it takes to get Suter...Have at it.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:16 PM
irishtemper

Islanders fan eh? Team of the future I say.

irishtemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

If you're throwing 8 or 9 at them, they know you have to do that to overcome the deficiencies in the organization. Plus, it wouldn't surprise me if a contender gave them that in their first few years in a front-loaded deal.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Soundgarden

I think that if they're willing to start throwing 8-9 mill on a star player they should just throw it at two 4.5 players instead. As much as a star name would help, I think making the playoffs would help more, and two 4.5 players will help more with that IMO.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I think that if they're willing to start throwing 8-9 mill on a star player they should just throw it at two 4.5 players instead. As much as a star name would help, I think making the playoffs would help more, and two 4.5 players will help more with that IMO.
I disagree. I fully believe that one star player would be more beneficial in a big moment. If I had to choose between Suter at 9 million or Barret Jackman and Matt Carle at 4.5 million apiece, I'd choose Suter.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:56 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I disagree. I fully believe that one star player would be more beneficial in a big moment. If I had to choose between Suter at 9 million or Barret Jackman and Matt Carle at 4.5 million apiece, I'd choose Suter.
Also the idea of a new jersey to sell is just too good to pass up.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:58 PM
biturbo19

You'd hope not. Outside of Parise and Suter, this is a pretty seriously bleak looking UFA class. And no matter how much they pay, they're not getting either of those guys.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:49 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
You'd hope not. Outside of Parise and Suter, this is a pretty seriously bleak looking UFA class. And no matter how much they pay, they're not getting either of those guys.
if they offered one of them max salary i think they would sign

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:23 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Sutter wants to win... now the Islanders aren't exactly poor... if they signed him to a 10 year 90 million dollar contract, it would be impossible for him to refuse and that would be a damn good team overnight.

The question is... are the Islanders afraid of signing that contact?

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:23 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
if they offered one of them max salary i think they would sign
They aren't going to, and they shouldn't. It's just not realistic to expect Parise and Suter to sign here. We can probably get a guy like Carle or if we're lucky maybe Wideman.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Except the Islanders track record is horrific. They've won 2 playoff games in the past 20 years. Plenty of teams are going to throw their checkbooks at Parise/Suter, and there are much better choices and opportunities for them than the Isles. They're going to have to prove themselves a bit before they attract top tier free agents that want to win.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:29 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
Except the Islanders track record is horrific. They've won 2 playoff games in the past 20 years. Plenty of teams are going to throw their checkbooks at Parise/Suter, and there are much better choices and opportunities for them than the Isles. They're going to have to prove themselves a bit before they attract top tier free agents that want to win.
While I agree with you, they've won much more than two playoff games in the last twenty years. Since 1991-92 they've won 15 playoff games. Unless you meant to playoff series, in which case yes there have only been two playoff series wins.

Old
03-01-2012, 07:30 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Sutter wants to win... now the Islanders aren't exactly poor... if they signed him to a 10 year 90 million dollar contract, it would be impossible for him to refuse and that would be a damn good team overnight.

The question is... are the Islanders afraid of signing that contact?
I like Suter a lot, but after the Yashin and DiPietro disasters I don't see Garth/Wang signing a player to more than a 6 year contract.

Old
03-01-2012, 07:32 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
they should sign Semin, Suter or Garrison.
I give it less than 5% chance that Semin would sign with NYI. I don't see him leaving D.C.; Dale and GMGM know his value and Ted will pay him. Even if he left D.C., I think NYI would be a bottom 5 destination for him. He's got a better chance at going to the KHL imo.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Otto91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'd be very leery of Semin being Yashin II.
agree......would rather see Kabonov anyway......much cheaper too

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:44 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

The biggest name we will sign this offseason will be Trent Hunter

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Briecheeze

Remember that Ehrhoff declined to come to the Isles last year.

All of the UFAs on the market this year look like they'll look at a winning team/other factors, not money as their prime motivation (case in point: Suter). Doubt it happens this year, but if the Isles show more improvement next year (and bring up some of their talented prospects), 2013 looks like a good bet.

Briecheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50;45314729B
MacDonald has regressed imo.
I'd call it a sophmore slump, kinda. He got noticed last year, and this year up against the best of the best, and they know it. Being a marked man makes you adjust, and I think he will next year.

If the Isles even think about his role as not a core player, they are naive.

I don't see the Isles as a bad place to go. The team will not move to another market, because of their longevity. They will stay in the same area regardless of ownership. Plus, I doubt the NHL lets a team in a big market move.

All and all, I think the Islanders are in good shape to make some noise in the next 2 years.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:45 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

There's so little out there in terms of big names. Suter will be back in Nashville, and Parise is looking for the perfect scenario (which might be back in NJ).

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:56 PM
boredmale

Only way I can see the Islanders signing a big name is if both these conditions are reached

1) they would have to trade for a big name player at the draft(say like Iginla or Nash)

2) they would have to have a best offer on the table which would mean they would have to frontload a contract(something which we haven't seen them do yet)

If the Islanders got an owner that was willing to spend to the cap I do think the Islanders could get a big name on the free agent market, but fact is since the lockout the Islanders have consistently been a cap min team.

As it stands now the Islanders best bet is to try get a 2 second tier defensemen(say like Paul Martin or Ehrhoff) and overpay them about 5M a season either through trade or free Agency. even though they seem to have a tough time scoring I do think the biggest problem is on defense and it needs to be addressed. There second biggest problem is they might need a little more size up front

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote